TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
xyz

help me with a tivo

I used to have a tivo a few years ago, and I absolutely loved it. I moved about 5 years ago and did not have a phone line so I just went with the comcast dvr, which I hate. It seems to screw up all the time and it just never works right. I started looking at tivos again and I see that you can hook them up to your wifi now, which would be perfect for me. So. i saw a tivo premiere that holds 75 hours and has dual tuners for only 100 bucks. It seems perfect, but I don't know if I need anything else for this. I a router for my computer so is that all I need? I'm kind of stupid with stuff like this. Any help would be appreciated.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The $100 TiVo has a $14.95/Month subscription, but as long as you have an internet connection, that's all you need.

If you're hooking it up to WiFi, you'll need an adapter.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
xyz

Thanks ! That's what I needed to know. Off to order the tivo-screwyou and your horrible dvd comcast!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
The $100 TiVo has a $14.95/Month subscription, but as long as you have an internet connection, that's all you need.

If you're hooking it up to WiFi, you'll need an adapter.
Do you need a WiFi adapter for the Premiere?
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Do you need a WiFi adapter for the Premiere?
2 tuner Premieres only have an ethernet port. Premiere 4s do have MoCA, but that wouldn't help xyz. You actually need a wireless bridge, which is what the Tivo wireless N adapters are. i.e. they aren't USB wireless adapters, they connect to the ethernet port.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
jcthorne

If the OP ever intends to use any of the streaming capabilities of the Tivo, MOCA is highly recomended rather than wifi.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If the OP ever intends to use any of the streaming capabilities of the Tivo, MOCA is highly recomended rather than wifi.
I use DLink DAP-1522' s and a dual band DIR-825 router. Both of my TiVo's are on the bridges which use the 5ghz band they stream flawlessly with ample bandwidth left over.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
I used to have a tivo a few years ago, and I absolutely loved it. I moved about 5 years ago and did not have a phone line so I just went with the comcast dvr, which I hate. It seems to screw up all the time and it just never works right. I started looking at tivos again and I see that you can hook them up to your wifi now, which would be perfect for me. So. i saw a tivo premiere that holds 75 hours and has dual tuners for only 100 bucks. It seems perfect, but I don't know if I need anything else for this. I a router for my computer so is that all I need? I'm kind of stupid with stuff like this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
I use DLink DAP-1522' s and a dual band DIR-825 router. Both of my TiVo's are on the bridges which use the 5ghz band they stream flawlessly with ample bandwidth left over.
I am very glad your wireless setup works for you.

For every one or two 'flawless' reports of wireless setups, we see tens of users with addressing, hickups, pixelation etc from less than perfect wireless. Mostly caused by interference from outside.

Once moca is set up, it works. Period. For everyone. Near 100%.

This is why its also recomended by Tivo and included with all the newer boxes and the mini. Its simple, cheap, easy to set up and just works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
billbillw

Personally, I always prefer wired connections (and I'm sure MOCA is superior to wifi), but if that is really not possible, I'd recommend getting a fairly inexpensive router that can be flashed with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. Then set them up as a wireless ethernet bridge. Works much better than the USB wireless adapter and you can also add other devices like a bluray, etc.

Last year, I was faced with setting up a Tivo in an upstairs bedroom. Wiring was not possible and I didn't know about MOCA, So I bought a refurb Linsys E2000 for about $30 from Amazon, flashed it to Tomato and it has been working flawless for more than 8 months without needing any reboots or any dropped connections. It is fast enough to stream Netflix in HD, and I can transfer recordings fast enough to be able to skip commercials without waiting. No phone lines in our house either.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
jcthorne

Moca IS a wired connection. The Tivo always has a coax connection so moca is a perfect fit, the cable with plenty of bandwidth is already there.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Moca IS a wired connection. The Tivo always has a coax connection so moca is a perfect fit, the cable with plenty of bandwidth is already there.
Yes, I know MOCA is a wired connection, but if he buys a basic Premiere, he would need two MOCA adapters which would cost an extra $100. For that much, I'd really look hard at running some CAT5 cable or just drop in a $30 router in bridge mode with Tomato like I suggested.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
mattack

I too have often recommended (and will probably recommend in the future!) a cheap router that either does built in or added bridge mode.. But if Moca works better, it is probably preferable for some people… If your WiFi network is flaky, which mine apparently is (I used to NOT think it was, until the !@$# HD UI *requires* full time Internet connection and tells you the second it goes away), things will be bad. Using Moca adapters might be good.

But heck, some Premieres have Moca build in, so he'd need only ONE adapter.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote