TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Bigg

Deal for coming back to TiVo

Do they have any deals for coming back to TiVo? My family left a few years ago because of a combination of Comcast launching HD in our area and the hard drive dying in the S2. I thought about ripping a hard drive out of an old PC, imaging it for the S2, moving it over to a new account, and plugging it in for a few days with an Ethernet cable to get the MSD on a new box, but I realized that was a ridiculous hassle for $100. I'm very dissatisfied with my new Media PC, and I want to come back to TiVo, but $900 for the 2TB TiVo is just pushing it a little, especially when I do have a functional (if annoying) quad-tuner DVR now.

When TiVo Mini comes out, I want to try and get my parents back on TiVo as well, as with Comcast's current pricing they would do well with a Premiere XL4 and Mini, and they would get XOD (Motorola system, I'm on an SA system). At that point could I activate it on my account with MSD, and then transfer it over to theirs to save the $100?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
P42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
At that point could I activate it on my account with MSD, and then transfer it over to theirs to save the $100?
Yes.

Tivo have had some offers recently, none of them killer deals IMO, but would save you $50 to $100 IIRC. I'm sure some one will post later with all the details. Some have report getting $100 of Lifetime with the code PLSR.
With Tivo having recently filed for an FCC waiver, I'd wait the 90 days and see what that is bringing.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s

Last edited by P42 : 02-14-2013 at 05:36 AM.
P42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Yes.

Tivo have had some offers recently, none of them killer deals IMO, but would save you $50 to $100 IIRC. I'm sure some one will post later with all the details. Some have report getting $100 of Lifetime with the code PLSR.
With Tivo having recently filed for an FCC waiver, I'd wait the 90 days and see what that is bringing.
Waiting sounds like the best idea then. They should offer bundles that are actually compelling, their existing ones don't give any discount at all. Especially when TiVo Mini comes out.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
aridon

I called them not that long ago and they really didn't have any offers. We were tivo customers for a long long time, went premier when it was terrible and left for D*. Two years is up with D* so was contemplating going to Comcast which is our new HOA is bundled and service is competitive. Just going to wait a bit and figure out if I really want to switch or not.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
mattack

Sheesh, $100 is $100.. If your S2 Tivo is lifetime, might as well do it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sheesh, $100 is $100.. If your S2 Tivo is lifetime, might as well do it.
It's really not worth that much trouble. That's a pretty major endeavor, especially on the software end. If I had an extra drive with TiVo S2 software on it, I'd probably do it.