TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #31
scn101

I bought a replacement Cofan and found it still quite noisy. If I hold the fan in my hand it is fairly quiet but once attached to the Premiere there's kind of a roaring noise. I tried using O-rings on the screws to isolate it from the chassis but that only helped a bit.

So how quiet are the IP Queen fans? Better than the Cofan, or the same?

Thanks.
scn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #32
MeInDallas

The IPC Queen one is way quieter for me. Maybe because its ball bearing, and the Cofan ones are sleeve bearing, not sure.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #33
scn101

Ok, thanks for the very speedy reply! I ordered one and will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
The IPC Queen one is way quieter for me. Maybe because its ball bearing, and the Cofan ones are sleeve bearing, not sure.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #34
MeInDallas

Oh and when you get it, if you use the Tivo screws, screw them in really REALLY slow, or just use the ones that come with the fan. The first one I got, I cracked the side of it because the Tivo screws are so fat
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #35
scn101

I received the IPC Queen fan and unfortunately I found it to be louder than the Cofan.

I did find a way to make the Cofan quieter. Someone suggested removing the label on the Cofan, removing the rubber plug, and adding an oil/grease mix. I did that but observed no real change to its volume.

Then I decided to push the fan blades off their spindle. Using both thumbs through the housing the blade assembly slid off revealing the sleeve bearing. I oiled and greased it, ensuring the oil went between the sleeve bearing and the spindle. I then reassembled it by pushing the blade assembly back on the bearing and mounted it back into the Tivo using O-rings on both sides of the screws to isolate the fan from the box as much as possible.

Now the Premiere is quiet. I can still hear the fan moving air but no other obnoxious fan sounds so that's good enough.

BTW, I tried pushing the fan assembly off the IPC Queen to lube it as well but it simply broke,
Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #36
unitron

When actually removing the blade and shaft assembly from one of those fans, you have to remove the label on the part that doesn't turn, remove the plug, if any, and then there will be a little C ring or O ring type washer that snaps into a groove on the shaft, and it needs to be carefully removed and will jump across the room and disappear forever if you give it the chance.

Once you get that off, you should be able to pull the blade hub and shaft assembly out of the bearing easily.

There should be no reason to remove the shaft from the blade hub as they don't turn independently of each other.

You might need a Q-tip and some denatured alcohol or lighter fluid to remove the old lubricant to see that little clip in the first place.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote