TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #31
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,919
Honestly, how many gave this show a chance just because it was Fillion? I know I did. Had no idea who Stana Katic was. Probably called her Kana Static once or twice.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #32
jehma
Registered User
 
jehma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Honestly, how many gave this show a chance just because it was Fillion? I know I did. Had no idea who Stana Katic was. Probably called her Kana Static once or twice.
Absolutely. I watch pretty much anything with a Whedonverse actor. That's how we wound up watching Bones.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #33
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,918
that newswoman that jumped castle shouldnt have had such close up camera shots...i have no problem with older women but dont try to hide it with as much makeup as she had on ...love how kate cant get that imagine out of her mind..but she is the one that said they had to act single. maybe she will go out with chip?
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Jon J
Curmudgeon
 
Jon J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
that newswoman that jumped castle shouldnt have had such close up camera shots...
The years since she played Don Johnson's daughter haven't been too kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
(And seriously, they couldn't find someone who had a more realistic looking news set for them to use?)
The cameras looked like some old Plumbicons they dragged out of storage.
__________________
That's my opinion and it ought to be yours.
Jon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
The cameras looked like some old Plumbicons they dragged out of storage.
Heh - I should have been paying attention to the cameras, but wasn't. I was more focused on the set itself, and thinking "What, they couldn't have called up FX or Devlin Design Group to see if they have a generic news set they could've sent over?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
Alfer
WOOSAH!
 
Alfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Melmac
Posts: 30,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I don't get it. What is so awesome? Firefly and Castle have only one thing in common, NF (okay, plus some joke scenes). So why make this video?
I'm gonna have to +1 this one.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
Jon J
Curmudgeon
 
Jon J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
What, they couldn't have called up FX or Devlin Design Group to see if they have a generic news set they could've sent over?
You might want to pose this question on the Castle Art Department Facebook page. I'll bet you get an answer.
__________________
That's my opinion and it ought to be yours.
Jon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 2,999
so i just marathoned season 5 after i got into this show over the summer, watching TNT reruns. Got totally hooked.

a few impressions of season 5-
the romance seemed a little forced at times. i guess part of it is the Beckett character isn't as lovey dovey, and the fact that they had to hide their relationship for most of the time caused it to be vanilla on most of the screen time, but i don't know, something was just off to me.

i thought the storylines this season were really good, if not better than previous seasons

i totally saw the season finale cliff hanger coming, but i was annoyed at how they had him propose. i get the throwing you off strategy of him talking about Kate being closed off and he has to scratch and claw his way in, but i was hoping for something more between that and his getting down on a knee. Like saying something to the effect of, "but i didn't stay with you when you were standing on that bomb because i'm ok with you just leaving. i stayed with you because life without you isn't worth living. so whatever you decide, i'll be there with you. if you want to move to DC, i'll go with you" yada yada... SOMETHING like that. it just looked like the unhappiest proposal ever.

anyway.. i'm curious to see what season 6 will be like. following Beckett around as a Federal agent would be a nice new, fresh set of storylines that could be fun. but it would be sad to see Espo and Ryan no longer in the show.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
anyway.. i'm curious to see what season 6 will be like. following Beckett around as a Federal agent would be a nice new, fresh set of storylines that could be fun. but it would be sad to see Espo and Ryan no longer in the show.
This isn't the kind of show that monkeys around with the status quo...there may be the temporary illusion of change, but I bet they're back to normal with everybody still on board sooner rather than later.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #40
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
This isn't the kind of show that monkeys around with the status quo...there may be the temporary illusion of change, but I bet they're back to normal with everybody still on board sooner rather than later.
You're probably right. Which is too bad, actually, because if Kate turns down the job because of Castle's reluctance to move, it makes him look like a jerk. He can write anywhere, his daughter is grown, and his mother is hardly his problem, so moving would be the right thing for him to do.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,142
Maybe she'll hate the new job and come back...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #42
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
You're probably right. Which is too bad, actually, because if Kate turns down the job because of Castle's reluctance to move, it makes him look like a jerk. He can write anywhere, his daughter is grown, and his mother is hardly his problem, so moving would be the right thing for him to do.
see that's the thing. she made up her mind that she wants to go, and he said he's good with whatever she wants to do, which i would think implies he'd go with her since, as you've stated, he can do his job anywhere, and his daughter's in college now. there really isn't anything tying him to NY.

so that's what makes me expect that they'd move to DC.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
This isn't the kind of show that monkeys around with the status quo...there may be the temporary illusion of change, but I bet they're back to normal with everybody still on board sooner rather than later.
You're likely right, but it could serve to shake things up and make them fresher.

Unforgettable did that when they came back this season. The two leads now work for a more specialized crime unit and the rest of the original cast is gone (except for Jane Curtin).
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Unforgettable did that when they came back this season. The two leads now work for a more specialized crime unit and the rest of the original cast is gone (except for Jane Curtin).
But Castle isn't a canceled show...it's a solid performer that's been slowly but steadily building its audience for five years.

They ain't gonna shake things up. At best, they'll pretend to shake things up a little just to shake things up, but without actually changing anything.

I'm actually surprised they had the guts to have Castle and Beckett get together...of course you can't play that will-they-or-won't-they game forever, but pulling the trigger is, historically, a high-risk move. Gratifying, but I doubt they would significantly change the entire premise of the show.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 2,999
of course they could always make her reject him and then have parallel storylines in DC and NY... and then maybe kind of what Rob was thinking, she'll hate it, or miss him, and she'll move back. not sure how much i like that idea, but it would be in line with her character to reject him and go do what she wants to do. although it'd be a pretty crappy thing to do consider the dude was ready to die for her just a few weeks before hand!
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #46
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Maybe the simplest solution is for her to take the job, but they let her be based in New York. Maybe she could even be the police liaison so Ryan and Esposito will still be on the show frequently. Kind of lame, but sort of seems like the thing this show would do.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #47
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
see that's the thing. she made up her mind that she wants to go, and he said he's good with whatever she wants to do, which i would think implies he'd go with her since, as you've stated, he can do his job anywhere, and his daughter's in college now. there really isn't anything tying him to NY.

so that's what makes me expect that they'd move to DC.
I don't know that it's clear that she has made up her mind. I still maintain that when she was in the interview room at the end that she realized "this is my home" and was going to stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
You're probably right. Which is too bad, actually, because if Kate turns down the job because of Castle's reluctance to move, it makes him look like a jerk. He can write anywhere, his daughter is grown, and his mother is hardly his problem, so moving would be the right thing for him to do.
See, I think that was a part of the reason Castle proposed, as a way of saying "Whatever you decide, I still want to be with you." I don't think that came across on screen as clearly as it could or should have, though.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #48
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
You're likely right, but it could serve to shake things up and make them fresher.

Unforgettable did that when they came back this season. The two leads now work for a more specialized crime unit and the rest of the original cast is gone (except for Jane Curtin).
OK, google results seem to only mention the *un*cancellation.

Was it cancelled again after S2? I still think it was nowhere near as good as when they were on the original police squad, but it was still entertaining..

Was it cancelled or not?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #49
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I don't know that it's clear that she has made up her mind. I still maintain that when she was in the interview room at the end that she realized "this is my home" and was going to stay.
i thought that the conversation with her dad, where he asked "what do you want?" and she answered that she wanted the job, was the indication that she'd made up her mind.

Now, of course, writers being writers, could have put that in as misdirection, but based on the evidence at hand, that was my conclusion.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #50
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i thought that the conversation with her dad, where he asked "what do you want?" and she answered that she wanted the job, was the indication that she'd made up her mind.
But that scene, if memory serves, preceded one in the interrogation room where she gave a bit of a monologue about that being her life and her home, and there was a look that she gave during that moment and that scene that, to me, seemed to show that as she was saying it, she was also really realizing it as well.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #51
milo99
Registered User
 
milo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
But that scene, if memory serves, preceded one in the interrogation room where she gave a bit of a monologue about that being her life and her home, and there was a look that she gave during that moment and that scene that, to me, seemed to show that as she was saying it, she was also really realizing it as well.
hmm... forgot about that scene so went back to look at it. i can see why you say that, but she said "this room has been my life..." (emphasis mine), so that's probably why it didn't register too much for me. as for the look... heh, who knows with Becket what that look was... could have been acceptance that it's no longer going to be her home, that she doesn't want to leave, or... eh, i dunno.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #52
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us
 
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fl.Gulf
Posts: 1,141
"I" think the only reason she is taking the job is to get the senator that killed her mother and after that she will come back to NY.
__________________
65" Samsung 7100 LCD
40" Samsung LCD
32" Hitachi LCD
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #53
SoBelle0
What's next?
 
SoBelle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 5,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
"I" think the only reason she is taking the job is to get the senator that killed her mother and after that she will come back to NY.
That's good.

A couple of episodes separated... Then Castle goes down to help.

I like it.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #54
SNJpage1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,148
She takes the job in Washington. Congress passes a new budget that cuts out funding for her new job and she is back in NYC.
__________________
S2 and a Tivo HD
SNJpage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #55
SNJpage1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,148
I am one of those people who didn't watch Firefly until this past year when they did the marathon. Loved the show. So I do enjoy seeing some things pop up in Castle. Only those that saw Firefly would knew what they are. His Halloween outfit was his old Firefly outfit.
__________________
S2 and a Tivo HD
SNJpage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |