TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
dpoznan

System cannot find the file specified

Just recently file transfers have started to fail. I select "Pick Recordings to Transfer". Check the box for a Masterpiece Theater Classic...Downton Abbey Season 3, and after a few seconds the transfer status window indicates "The system cannot find the file specified". The file is on the TIVO. In fact I cannot transfer any files. All transfers fail in the same fashion. This has just started happening. I have successfully transferred hundreds of files to my PC prior to this.

HELP!
dpoznan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
irepoder

I had the exact same problem with the same show. The Premiere forum has a thread discussing the problem, and an easy fix. I was able to get my transfers working in under 10 minutes.

Here is the fix cut and pasted from the other thread. Thanks Krellion!

For Windows (Vista/7), open the Start menu or the Run dialog (Windows Key + R) and paste this into it: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

Look for the TiVo Desktop folder and open it. You'll see the curl.conf file. Edit it with Notepad and add this to it on a new line: cookie = "sid=abc"

Save the file and then TiVo Desktop transfers should work. Rebooting shouldn't be needed, but won't hurt.

=====

For browser-based transfers, you need to have the ability to edit cookies (Firefox has a plugin called Cookies Manager+ that can do this, not sure about others). Find the cookie (it should be the only one listed for your TiVo's IP) and edit the expiration date to be in the far future, then transfers will work.

Last edited by irepoder : 02-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
irepoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
lindamarga

irepoder--

I had the same problem, System cannot find the file specified . Your fix did the job. Thanks
lindamarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
SNJpage1

It sounds like tivo did something because I have the same problem also with my TivoHD. It started on Fri.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
SNJpage1

I did the patch that you suggested and it worked with my TivoHD. The problem I have now is the two programs I wanted to transfer but failed have a red X where you would select them to transfer. How do I get rid of the red X?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I did the patch that you suggested and it worked with my TivoHD. The problem I have now is the two programs I wanted to transfer but failed have a red X where you would select them to transfer. How do I get rid of the red X?
Have you tried rebooting your computer? Some people have had to do that after applying the fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
SNJpage1

I had to uninstall desktop, then reinstall, do the patch and then it would work.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by irepoder View Post
I had the exact same problem with the same show. The Premiere forum has a thread discussing the problem, and an easy fix. I was able to get my transfers working in under 10 minutes.

Here is the fix cut and pasted from the other thread. Thanks Krellion!

For Windows (Vista/7), open the Start menu or the Run dialog (Windows Key + R) and paste this into it: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

Look for the TiVo Desktop folder and open it. You'll see the curl.conf file. Edit it with Notepad and add this to it on a new line: cookie = "sid=abc"

Save the file and then TiVo Desktop transfers should work. Rebooting shouldn't be needed, but won't hurt.

=====

For browser-based transfers, you need to have the ability to edit cookies (Firefox has a plugin called Cookies Manager+ that can do this, not sure about others). Find the cookie (it should be the only one listed for your TiVo's IP) and edit the expiration date to be in the far future, then transfers will work.

thank you, this worked for me too !
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote