TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
cpgny9

Accidentally erased hard drive

Hi all,
I'm hoping I can get some direction here. I was trying to change the hard drive in my tivo, and accidentally erased (reformatted) the hard drive that came with the tivo premiere XL. Long story what/why I did what I did, but now when I plug in the original hard drive, the unit just blinks (both the buttons and the screen) and won't start up.
Is there anyway for me to reformat the original hard drive? I've searched through multiple forums, but all I find are instructions on how to copy/upgrade hard drive, nothing on how to just format. I realize I lost everything I had on the original drive, just trying to get it to work again. Also, I've seen on the Internet/eBay where I can buy an already formatted drive....but I'd if there's a way to save this drive, I'd rather do that than spend $200 on a new one

Thanks for any help in advance
cpgny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
jmbach

Can you be more specific on how you erased the drive. Was it written over with zeros type of erase. Reformatted by wiping the partition table ( "quick erase" ) or via a different method. If it just a wipe of the partition table then since each model of TiVos have a standard partition table and if you are up to it, we can recreate the first 16 blocks that make up the table.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
cpgny9

It was a quick format on my windows PC.

Thanks!
cpgny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Allanon

You can buy a replacement drive kit from a place like dvrupgrade.com. Or you can ask someone with a Premiere if they would make a disk image for you.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
jmbach

So this drive is a standard 1TB drive out of a Premiere XL. Correct. No modification has been done to it. Correct as well. Send me a PM and we can do some further checking to make sure it can be done. You might not have lost any programming if everything checks out.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
You can buy a replacement drive kit from a place like dvrupgrade.com. Or you can ask someone with a Premiere if they would make a disk image for you.
At this point a disk image of Premieres cannot be made. There is an older post in the Upgrade Forum of someone who may be close to pulling it off but nothing definite yet. Currently the only verified way to do it is to copy directly from a working Premeire drive of the same model number.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
At this point a disk image of Premieres cannot be made. There is an older post in the Upgrade Forum of someone who may be close to pulling it off but nothing definite yet. Currently the only verified way to do it is to copy directly from a working Premeire drive of the same model number.
Ggieseke is very close to having something done probably in the next few weeks. His alpha testing has been successful sofar.

Last edited by jmbach : 03-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
keffer

I need an image for a 320GB Premiere. Mine died (?), I have verified the HD is good (SpinRite). I would like to re-image the existing drive vice adding a larger internal HD in hopes of recovering programming on my external HD. Appreciate assistance.
keffer is offline   Reply With Quote