TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
KCobraII

Clarification on Series 2 tuner issues

Hello everyone. Although this is my first post as a new member, I have followed your forum now for a few years. Been very grateful for the wealth of knowledge on here.

That being said, I was hoping to revisit the HDVR2 tuner 2 pixelization issue. I have a SDDVR-80 that has provided many years of faithful service. Like others, it developed the tuner 2 issue a while back. Disconnecting s-video and replacing/adding the power supply capacitors helped, but the problem persists. It's bad enough now that a few channels will cause a restart. I am aware of the option to add a capacitor to the motherboard, but am hesitant to do so. Besides not being confident in my soldering skills, I'm afraid it might eventually cause other damage if the underlying defect (likely the power supply) is not fixed as well.

This leads to my questions:

First, has anyone tried replacing all of the capacitors on the power supply to see if that will fix the problem instead of just the two mentioned in the instructables article?

Does the tuner 2 problem only effect series 2 units? I.E. if I were to switch to an HR10-250 or an R10 will I be ok? (I have both of those as spares)

Has anyone measured the voltages on the ribbon cable of a known good power supply (or off a repair manual) to see if we could adapt a PC power supply to replace the aging original units? I realize it won't fit in the case, but at this point I wouldn't care.

Thanks in advance for any input or advise.
KCobraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
chuckg

Voltages

I am a retired electronic tech. In 2007 I reverse engineered a Samsung R4040R, all chips, all voltages and all of the switching power supply.

3.361 volts
5.08 volts
12.02 volts
14.5 volts (now not clear what this is for)
and 30 volts.

This is without hard drive activity.

I bought a used receiver to have a spare power supply on hand.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
KCobraII

Well, I guess that takes care of the PC power supply option. I don't think any of them have a 30v output.

As another option, has anyone tried using a small PC power supply just for the hard drive? You would think that removing the drain of the hard drive off the stock power supply would leave more available for the tuners. Unless it needs to control the drive for something.

Any input on the other series 2 Directivo's? R10 or HR10-250 and if they have the same power supply problems as the other ones (like my SDDVR-80)?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
SouthTivo

The R10 and HR10-250 use power supplies with different part numbers from each other and also from the SDDVR80. They do look similar for the most part. I have no idea what might be different or not.

Powering the drive with an external source works fine. I am powering my drive that way right now. It was originally connected this way as part of the diag process for the repeated reboot issue affecting many people. It hasn't fixed that reboot issue but it hasn't hurt either and I haven't gotten around to undoing it.

The main thing to remember with external power is that the drive needs to be powered up before you boot the Tivo and you should probably run the drive and Tivo from a UPS so neither will lose power.
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
KCobraII

Thanks SouthTivo.

Do you have tuner 2 pixelization issues with/without the hard drive powered separately? That's my hope. To fix the low voltage condition that is causing the second tuner to lose signal.

As for the difference in SDDVR-80 and the R10, and HR10-250, I wasn't so much wondering if one of their power supplies would power my SDDVR-80, but rather if those whole units was more immune to the tuner 2 issues than the other series 2 DirecTivos. Like if they had better capacitors originally or something. I have all three in the closet, and while I'd hate to lose my recordings and start over, I would if it would solve my tuner 2 problem.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
TorquinDSL

I can contribute minimally to this discussion, in that I know that the HR10-250 has a problem with two caps in the power supply that will go bad and cause the Tivo to complain about an overheat situation and not complete the boot up. Info on this is widely available on the Internet and allowed me to fix mine with a 3 dollar run to Radio Shack and an hour of my time.
I have had no problems with my tuners in 2 years of running the HR10-250, after buying it used off Ebay.

Chris
TorquinDSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
KCobraII

Thanks TorquinDSL.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the S-Video hooked up? That seems to be a common issue causing the second tuner to get pixelated. To a lesser degree, just using the second composite hookup will also cause issues, but the S-Video seems to be the major cause.

If they did fix the second tuner issue that has plagued the earlier series 2 units, I see a swap coming pretty soon. LOL

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
SouthTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCobraII View Post
Thanks SouthTivo.

Do you have tuner 2 pixelization issues with/without the hard drive powered separately? That's my hope. To fix the low voltage condition that is causing the second tuner to lose signal.
No, and I wasn't aware of a problem with dual tuners as-such, but this is interesting news for me because I did have something exactly like that happening and it seemed to be helped by disconnecting the second Sat line.

So perhaps I had the same problem and I just didn't know it. Hmm.
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
derelict

IMO, the real fix for the pixelization issue AFTER you have replaced the CAPs on the power supply is to solder a bypass capacitor over one of the ICs as described in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631

I have done this for one of my three DTivos and can attest that this indeed works. However this is not so easy to do...
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
KCobraII

My concern with that fix is two fold...

First, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am afraid that with my soldering skills as they are, I wouldn't be able to attach the capacitor correctly and would essentially destroy my TiVo along with my ability to watch all the shows that are on there now. Even if I could never record again, there is a lot of stuff on there that I wouldn't be able to see again. There is also the concern that adding a capacitor in a place not engineered for one would overstress some other component and cause it to fail, causing a larger problem than the pixelization.

Second, unless something on the main board has gone bad, the problem has to be completely in the power supply. I mean, they worked properly when new. Even with S-Video hooked up. I don't see why if the true cause of the low voltage condition was found they wouldn't work that way again.

That's why I was asking if the newer R10 and HR10-250 had the same issue. Not that I wanted to try one of their power supplies in my SDDVR-80, but rather that I would retire it to just play only, and start using one of those newer ones for the daily records.

Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks.