TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Take Shelter, Good Movie or Bag of Suck?

I guess I was just bored or something because I decided to watch this movie. I kind of wish I could get that time back now. The movie had potential but just didn't do enough with it. Some of the scenes were so well done that they felt like you were there and experiencing it. I'm mostly referring to some of the silent moments between the lines. They were so well done that I kept thinking, "Wow, this is about as realistic as you can get."

That being said, I found the ending very unsatisfying. I guess I sort of "got it" but it was still pretty weak, considering how much time and involvement I had invested in it at that point. I think the viewer deserved more.

I've not seen Michael Shannon in much before this, at least not as a major part that I remember well, but he was absolutely amazing in this role. I'm going to have to watch it a few more times just to begin to understand some of the meanings and to better absorb his portrayal of his character. Absolutely mesmerizing.

I don't watch movies this good very often. Maybe that's why they make such an impact when I do.

So for me, it was a damm good movie. I just thought it could be a little more satisfying at the end. So that's the basis for the question in the title of the thread.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
DLiquid
Progressive User

I saw it in the theater and I liked it quite a lot. I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending either, but I'm not sure how I would change it.

Michael Shannon is great at playing crazy. Take the film Bug, for example. Not the greatest movie, but Shannon was fantastic in it.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
tiams

I was really enjoying the movie until the end. I didn't get the ending. Someone explain it to me.

On a side note, I think we should have a forum for discussion of movies. Every movie could have its own thread.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I was really enjoying the movie until the end. I didn't get the ending. Someone explain it to me..
Spoiler:
I just took it at face value. The storm was real and he had been having premonitions during the movie. In other words, he wasn't crazy, he was right. I can see how other interpretations work too, like the one in the second paragraph below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/faq#.2.1.2
"Is the storm at the end of the film real or just another dream?

Throughout the film, Curtis' dreams have a specific narrative and style. They are all strictly from his perspective and never include what other people in the dreams are perceiving. When Curtis and his family are at Myrtle Beach, it cuts away from him and shows that his daughter sees something, then it cuts to his wife who is no where near Curtis coming out of the house. It shows a far away shot of Curtis, which is clearly in her perspective, then it shows her noticing the oil dripping on her hand, also from her perspective. Also, each dream has a dream-like feel to it, the people's faces who attack Curtis are obscured, his wife blankly stares at him and moves very slowly - if the sequence at the end is a dream, then it is by far the most realistic one.

It's implied that the ending scene is indeed reality, confirming that Curtis is not having hallucinations or delusions, and that he was in fact having premonitions. However, in the commentary that takes place with the DVD, Michael Shannon and the Director refuse to comment on the meaning of the last scene at Myrtle Beach. They speak in detail about the construction of the scene, but refuse to give comment on the meaning, and state that they never will.....that it is all up to the interpretation of the viewer. Seeing that Curtis is finally getting real treatment for his problems, and that he has his family's love and support of this, some view this last scene as metaphoric. He's having a dream, but others are experiencing the same frightening observations that he is. Curtis and his wife look understandingly at each other (something the director and Shannon acknowledge as being the most important part of the scene) and there is no panic, there is no violence.....this may be an acknowledgement that that Curtis is not alone, he has support, and he is on a road to some type of recovery."

Jeff Nichols Discusses Take Shelter's Ending with Chase Whale

Jeff Nichols Discusses Take Shelter's Ending with Chase Whale
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
whitson77
Director Level

Great movie IMO
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
tem

+1 for great.