TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
trizae05

THR22-100 Proper Installation?

I recently signed up with Directv and, after loving my Series2 for the past 6 years, I decided to get the new Directv Tivo box instead of their own box. The installation guy shows up, hooks all the outside equipment up first, gets the wiring right inside the house, then brings in the regular DirecTV HD DVR. I saw the box it was in and asked where the TiVo was. He responded that it was "TiVo-like". I then told him that I ordered the TiVo box and am paying and additional $5 a month for it. He pulled up his work order and showed me that he was not instructed to bring one. I pulled up my confirmation e-mail stating thats what should be installed. He made some phone calls and during this whole ordeal began berating my choice in boxes, calling it crippled, and trying to get me to change my mind. Long story short, he ends up driving an hour an a half round trip to get the box I ordered because there were no other ones closer. When he showed back up the wiring was still set up for "their" box and he just hooked it up like it was a regular directv box. After he activated it, it was clear it was his first TiVo installation. He gave me the remote and took off. After he was gone I noticed I had no internet connection. So I take a look back there.
Heres what I saw:
the main line from the satellite was being split two ways
- one is going to a DECA broadband converter, which also has my home internet plugged into it via ethernet.
- the other leads to a SWM Power Inserter, then to the satellite 1 input of my TiVo box
- So the only thing plugged into the TiVo box is in the Satellite 1 input.

I saw ethernet ports in the back of the TiVo box and couldnt understand why my home internet wasn't plugged into that. So I unplugged the ethernet cable going to the DECA broadband converter, and just plugged that directly into my TiVo box. Now it has internet connection, Ondemand works fine, and the swivel search works. My current setup is the main line coming from the satellite is plugged into the SWM Power Inserter, then to the TiVo box. And my home broadband connection plugged into the ethernet port of the TiVo. I'm not using the 2-way splitter or DECA broadband converter at all.

My questions are:
1 - is there any features or quality I will lose with this setup up?
2 - is there any need for this DECA broadband converter that appears to be doing nothing since its not plugged into TiVo?
3 - Do I even need to use the SWM power inserter since the TiVo box has 2 satellite inputs?
trizae05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
1. Since the THR22 doesn't participate in whole home video, that should work. Should you ever get non-TiVo HR boxes, you'll want to reinstate it.
2. At this point, you're right, it is not doing anything.
3. Yes, absolutely you need the SWM power inserter.