TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
SuMeRiaN

Premiere XL Model TCD748000

I was just passed a TIVO that was not booting. STUCK at welcome screen. The power was cut off to the device abruptly and it hasn't boot since. Everything points to the HD having failed in reading however I remove the drive and I can hear and feel it spinning. I plugged the drive into windows 8 and in the system management I can see the unallocated 1TB drive.

Did I just mess up the boot sector?

I feel this drive has some life and would like to wipe and restart it. Everything I have read appears to require backing up the existing working drive and using this image on the new drive. I am not upgrading to larger disk, just hoping I can make the current one work.

Can someone please guide me. In reading I think I need an image for model and tools to load the image on the drive. Looking forward to hearing from the group. Thanks in advance.

I guess even if we get the disk right there is still a possibility the power supply is not functioning as designed but we will cross that road when we get there.

SuM
SuMeRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
ggieseke

When you cranked up Disk Manager it should have asked if you wanted to initialize the drive. If you said yes, the boot sector is gone. If you said no it should still be OK.

The software you need is at

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

I will send you a PM with s link to the image.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
SuMeRiaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
When you cranked up Disk Manager it should have asked if you wanted to initialize the drive. If you said yes, the boot sector is gone. If you said no it should still be OK.

The software you need is at

SUM "removed link to post"

I received your PM and am downloading the file. I am almost certain I did say YES to initialize to the disk. Can't see how the disk manager would see it unless I had. What is next for the boot sector?

Headed to your link now to read up.
SuMeRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
ggieseke

I'd just overwrite the whole drive with the clean image and start from scratch. It only takes a few minutes with the Quick Restore option and I don't get the impression that you're trying to save anything like old recordings.

Don't forget to run Clear & Delete Everything in the Premiere once you get it booting up again to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
jmbach

Would run the manufacturer diagnostic to make sure the drive is okay. Even if the SMART passes it might be reassigning sectors. If it is it needs to be replaced.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
nibblet787

Quote:

I'm a little late to the party here, but would that image perhaps still be available? My father-in-law has been one grump guy since his tivo died.
nibblet787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
tazman3

Hard drive died a couple weeks ago and have a replacement drive. Just need the image now. So I'm looking for the TCD748000 image too.

Thanks
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Hard drive died a couple weeks ago and have a replacement drive. Just need the image now. So I'm looking for the TCD748000 image too.

Thanks
PM sent.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
tazman3

Quote:
PM sent.
That worked like a champ. Thanks.
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
tapple

I also have a TCD748000 that bit the dust. Original drive just clicking. Any chance I could get that image as well?

Thanks for helping everyone like this!
tapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapple View Post
I also have a TCD748000 that bit the dust. Original drive just clicking. Any chance I could get that image as well?
PM sent.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
kgr

Hi Gary
I tried restoring the image you sent me in the main Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows (DvrBARS) thread, and it said completed. but the tivo still boot loops, so i guess the issue is not actually with the drive as I thought.

It stays on the 'Welcome! Starting Up' screen for about 4 seconds, and then reboots..

On the front of the tivo, all it has is the green circle, nothing else.

any ideas of what could be wrong? i tried unplugging everything, just the component cable to the tv and power.
kgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
jmbach

What model drive did you restore the image to and try to boot in the TiVo.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
kgr

its a WD10evvs-63m5B0. its a 1TB drive.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
jmbach

Did it pass the WD long test?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
kgr

you are right, it failed the WD long test!. I'll get a different drive and try it out again. Thanks for all the help.