TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #811
mpspoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
So you get no error messages in the Command Prompt window? Does it hang or do you eventually get a prompt?
No error messages. It flashes briefly right away (a lot quicker than launching the application from the desktop), and returns control to the command prompt.
mpspoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #812
mpspoli

Here is the error log in the Event Viewer, if you can get anything out of it:

Faulting application name: DvrBARS.exe, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x5477524b
Faulting module name: DvrBARS.exe, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x5477524b
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x00002bd2
Faulting process id: 0x1df4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0168169b76bb8
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\DvrBARS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\DvrBARS.exe
Report Id: a82a713b-8274-11e4-beaa-002268384593
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Old 12-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #813
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpspoli View Post
Here is the error log in the Event Viewer, if you can get anything out of it:

Faulting application name: DvrBARS.exe, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x5477524b
Faulting module name: DvrBARS.exe, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x5477524b
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x00002bd2
Faulting process id: 0x1df4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0168169b76bb8
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\DvrBARS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\DvrBARS.exe
Report Id: a82a713b-8274-11e4-beaa-002268384593
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
How to fix Exception Code 0xc000000d Error

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #814
jmbach

Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows (DvrBARS)

If the wiki is correct then running sfc /scannow in an administrator command window or using online command with dism to refresh the windows files may fix it.

The other thought that occurred to me is that between the two computers that work,is there any differences in the Microsoft C redistributable files installed.

Last edited by jmbach : 12-13-2014 at 12:14 AM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #815
mpspoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If the wiki is correct then running sfc /scannow in an administrator command window or using online command with dism to refresh the windows files may fix it.

The other thought that occurred to me is that between the two computers that work,is there any differences in the Microsoft C redistributable files installed.
I repaired the registry and system files, ran sfc /scannow and executed dism. Nothing has changed - same issue (mouse spins for a couple seconds and no application).
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #816
ggieseke

Quote:
I show a number of drives in Disk Management: Disk 0 (empty 1 TB drive I'm trying to lay the image on), Disk 1 (OS and storage), 4 "Removable" drives with "No Media" (Disk 2 - 5), and CD-ROM 0 "No Media".
The removable drives with no media are the ones I'm interested in. They sound a lot like the multi-format card reader on my Lenovo that I always disable in BIOS.

Excluding optical drives like your CD-ROM, if a "drive" shows up in Disk Manager DvrBARS will try to determine its parameters. Can you figure out what disks 2-5 actually are and temporarily disable them somehow? The Disk Drives category in Device Manager might do it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #817
mpspoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The removable drives with no media are the ones I'm interested in. They sound a lot like the multi-format card reader on my Lenovo that I always disable in BIOS.

Excluding optical drives like your CD-ROM, if a "drive" shows up in Disk Manager DvrBARS will try to determine its parameters. Can you figure out what disks 2-5 actually are and temporarily disable them somehow? The Disk Drives category in Device Manager might do it.
BAM! That did it. They were card reader slots. I disabled them and have the full restore in progress. Thank you!!!

One other side note - I did find the drive you recommended (WD10EURX) online. Unfortunately, it is an older drive (it was advertised as new, looks new, but manufactured in 2010). Do I need to run widdle on it?

Thanks again - really appreciate the guidance!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #818
lpwcomp

Quote:
One other side note - I did find the drive you recommended (WD10EURX) online. Unfortunately, it is an older drive (it was advertised as new, looks new, but manufactured in 2010). Do I need to run widdle on it?
Shouldn't be necessary since it is an AV drive.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #819
jmbach

Quote:
BAM! That did it. They were card reader slots. I disabled them and have the full restore in progress. Thank you!!!

Thought you were going to use the 3TB drive?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #820
lpwcomp

Quote:

I suspect that the problem is actually in the driver for the card reader since DvrBARS shouldn't crash with no notice simply because it got an error when trying to status a device.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #821
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Shouldn't be necessary since it is an AV drive.
I can't speak for sure on this, as the details are buried deep in some old thread for S3/HD TiVos. But, there was a time period that WD factory shipped AV-GP (EURS) drives with the idle mode 3 timer set to the lowest timeout, then later (after a certain mfg date) started shipping them with it fully disabled.

A drive that old, will have a 3yr warranty, started from the date of manufacture, unless bought from a WD Authorized reseller, which might get a warranty from date of purchase, if everything is on the up and up.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #822
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I suspect that the problem is actually in the driver for the card reader since DvrBARS shouldn't crash with no notice simply because it got an error when trying to status a device.
I forgot about this issue plaguing those with certain card readers, as well.

IIRC, all it takes is to populate the card reader, or disabling it via the root device that will disable all parts of it, within Device Manager.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #823
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I forgot about this issue plaguing those with certain card readers, as well.

IIRC, all it takes is to populate the card reader, or disabling it via the root device that will disable all parts of it, within Device Manager.
My point is that even if DvrBARS encounters an error when trying to status a device, it shouldn't crash with no message and that the error code indicates a system problem rather than an application problem.

At the very least, there is a problem with the API where the status request is causing a crash rather than returning an error.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #824
mpspoli

Quote:
Thought you were going to use the 3TB drive?
I hope to get to the 3TB eventually. TiVo wouldn't boot with it (likely due to the fact that I used a drive enclosure to put the image on it???), so I thought I'd go back to the fundamentals and start over with a 1TB drive.

If I can get the 3TB working in my Premiere, I'll use the 1TB in my S3.

Really appreciate all the help on this forum!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #825
jmbach

If you are using the image from ggieseke, that will have to be updated to the latest OS before it will boot in the TiVo on any drive larger than 2TB. If you have a good 1TB handy, you could restore the image to that and then let the TiVo update to the latest OS. Then use JMFS to copy and expand to the 3TB.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #826
unitron

Quote:

That's an old enough manufacture date that I'd check it with

wdidle3.exe

to be sure.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #827
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I hope to get to the 3TB eventually. TiVo wouldn't boot with it (likely due to the fact that I used a drive enclosure to put the image on it???), so I thought I'd go back to the fundamentals and start over with a 1TB drive.

If I can get the 3TB working in my Premiere, I'll use the 1TB in my S3.

Really appreciate all the help on this forum!
Enclosures can tend to do things like encrypt the drive on the fly, rendering it unreadable, once removed from the enclosure. Even if using an enclosure that is sold w/out a drive inside, they can still do this, w/out necessarily the product literature saying it does so.

Even some USB-SATA adapters and docks have proven to be problematic, for certain usage scenarios. Things like using wdidle3.exe can only be done via direct drive to SATA controller connection.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #828
ggieseke

Quote:
Glad to hear it. I always hated the fact that it creates 5 extra drive letters on my PC that I never use, so it's the first thing I disable in BIOS.

Thanks for following through. Now I know what to tell anyone else that runs into that problem.

Quote:
My point is that even if DvrBARS encounters an error when trying to status a device, it shouldn't crash with no message and that the error code indicates a system problem rather than an application problem.

At the very least, there is a problem with the API where the status request is causing a crash rather than returning an error.
Yeah, I went back through that entire subroutine yesterday with a fine tooth comb and there shouldn't be any way for it to fail without an error message. This is the 3rd time someone running 8 reported the same problem, but the first time it was ever diagnosed.

I have revised that code four times already to compensate for unusual configurations like one of jmbach's laptops, so it already has a ton of places where I ignore certain error codes and continue. One of the Windows API calls must be crashing the program without returning.

0xC000000D=STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER (An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function). Unless I can single step though it in a debugger on a PC that has the exact right combination of OS and hardware I'm going to chalk it up to a bad driver and move on.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #829
mpspoli

Quote:
If you are using the image from ggieseke, that will have to be updated to the latest OS before it will boot in the TiVo on any drive larger than 2TB. If you have a good 1TB handy, you could restore the image to that and then let the TiVo update to the latest OS. Then use JMFS to copy and expand to the 3TB.
Good information - thank you. It now makes sense why the 3TB will not boot. But, does present a new challenge.

I continue to struggle with my 1TB drive (WD10EURX purchased new on Amazon). Here is the latest:
1. Full restore of the image using DvrBARS - success
2. wdidle3 to turn off intellipark (drive was manufactured in 2012) - success
3. Boot in TiVo - success
4. Work through the guided set-up - success
5. Download the latest service update from TiVo - FAIL. This causes my TiVo to go into a GSOD infinite boot loop

I pulled the 1TB drive out of the TiVo and attempted to run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (from WD) on it - it failed the QUICK TEST

Not believing that I had a bad hard drive, I did another full restore from DvrBARS, which was successful. After the full restore, the drive passed the QUICK TEST.

It feels like the latest update from TiVo is causing my problems (and maybe my original problem?). Does this make sense? Is there an image that includes the latest update? Other ideas?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #830
jmbach

The drive is bad. Especially if it failed the quick test. That is the issue. Return the drive for another. In the meantime, if you can borrow any 1TB drive from anybody that is good, you can use it for the short time to upgrade the OS and transfer it to the 3TB drive. BTW I would use the zip 00000 and choose Tiny TiVo that nooneuknow recommends and not do any pairing of cableCARDs until the 3TB is up and running. Then do a C&DE, GS, and pairing of cableCARDs.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #831
mpspoli

Quote:
The drive is bad. Especially if it failed the quick test. That is the issue. Return the drive for another. In the meantime, if you can borrow any 1TB drive from anybody that is good, you can use it for the short time to upgrade the OS and transfer it to the 3TB drive. BTW I would use the zip 00000 and choose Tiny TiVo that nooneuknow recommends and not do any pairing of cableCARDs until the 3TB is up and running. Then do a C&DE, GS, and pairing of cableCARDs.
Thank you - I'll proceed with your recommendations. I haven't come across nooneuknow's "Tiny TiVo" recommendation, but will search for it.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #832
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

False "positives" on SMART test failures on WD drives

I have seen a great many false proclamations of drive failures by even the newest version of WD WinDLG. What clears these right out, when it's a false positive, is a full overwrite of the drive, using anything but Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

It seems to be caused by "weak writes", or other conditions where the data and ECC of any sector don't match on a read test (or just a read).

These are "soft" errors, where the sectors are not actually bad, but appear as if they are, and are stuck in a limbo state, until new data is written to them, and they are successfully read after that. They then go from creating "UNC" and "IDNF" errors, to being "raw read errors", which is not a critical SMART register, which also will recover it's original 200 value, once no further errors have been seen in a few full read passes.

Add in a Red, Purple, or other TLER-enabled NAS/RAID drive, and this is that "perfect storm" that made me question if TLER-enabled drives belong in TiVos. I'm still running my Reds. The drive I had "fail" all WinDLG tests is still running strong, never again skipping a beat, after I got to the bottom of things, and overwrote the whole drive. Telemark, and other here, feel I must have encountered an insufficient power event, leading to the weak writes. I can't rule that out, as I have since switched to 12V 2.5A power bricks, rather than using the stock wall warts for base Roamios that are only 2.0A.

If the drive passes all the read-only tests by WinDLG now, it might never have any related issue in the future. I can not guarantee that. But, I've spent months torture-testing the drive in question. It's solid, in my case.

I'm not the first, or only person, to have seen this phenomenon first-hand.

As far as my "Tiny TiVo trick", using 00000 zip code, and Tiny TiVo as provider, I'm sick of typing it out. It is outlined in this thread many times, and also in several other threads. If somebody could find an instance, and post a link, while I get caught up on other threads, and take care of other business, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #833
unitron

Here's one write up of the TinyTiVo trick

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...1#post10145381

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #834
tazxx

I am looking for a 746320 image. Any help locating one would be appreciated.

Thank you
tazxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #835
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazxx View Post
I am looking for a 746320 image. Any help locating one would be appreciated.

Thank you
PM sent.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #836
paulgar342

I'm having some difficulty using DvrBARS (1.0.0.6) to do a truncated backup on my Premiere XL4 (TCD758260). After it is done scanning the drive, it puts up a dialog stating "Backing up 79.92GB of 1.82TB Press the right arrow ...". The backup size is huge whether or not the alternate root partition option is set to scan or skip. I tried this with Win 7-64 and also on XP. Same huge backup size. Everything I have read indicates that a truncated backup should be < 3GB and only take a few minutes. It's acting like it is doing something other than a truncated backup. Any idea what might be wrong?

Also, can someone PM me with info on how to get an image for my model?

Thanks,
Paul
paulgar342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #837
jmbach

ggieseke can speak better on this but with one of the recent OS updates, the MFS structure has changed some and folders that were left out in a truncated backup are now captured.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #838
ggieseke

If you run a Clear & Delete Everything first the Truncated backup still works correctly, but as jmbach indicated recent changes in the MFS structure broke something.

I sent you a PM to a clean image.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #839
paulgar342

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If you run a Clear & Delete Everything first the Truncated backup still works correctly, but as jmbach indicated recent changes in the MFS structure broke something.

I sent you a PM to a clean image.

Thanks for the image.

I'm not ready for a C&DE yet, I'm just now starting to experience what looks like an occasional bad sector. I wanted to get a backup image before running the WD diagnostics in hopes of fixing some of the bad sectors.
paulgar342 is offline   Reply With Quote