TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItPete View Post
Interesting... then why do I still get a fail when I test it via KickStart54?
Also, what about the errors when I test it via USB using WD Lifeguard?
Are you saying the drive is OK?
Clarify please...
He's saying that USB may not pass SMART info, so you may not be able to trust that.

However the fact that WD Diagnostics fails the drive means the drive is bad, no ifs, ands, or buts, the drive failed diagnostics, don't use it.

I also was under the impression you need the drive hooked up directly to the MB to test SMART, but it still doesn't matter because you failed WD diagnostics.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItPete View Post
I'm at my wits end. The original 160mb drive was giving lots of trouble (or was it??) so everything I read pointed to the hard drive.

I went and got a pre-loaded 2TB drive and installed it... and here is what it does:

I can get it to boot, I can get it to the point where it'll run the Guided Setup... I can get the M-Card paired, etc...

Bur for some reason when all is said and done and I go back to the Main Menu -- it will show me the main menu for about 3-4 seconds and then it reboots.

So... I ran a bunch of Kickstarts... nothing...

I finally rant S.M.A.R.T. and I got a "Pass" on the first thing and then a "Fail 7" for the next 3 things. When I rant the test again, I got it to pass one more of them, but then failed two anyway... when I tried to run it a third time, it failed 3 again...

So... let me have it. Is this drive bad too? Is the HD trashed? I've tried it with the coax in, out, with the ethernet in, out, I've tried it all... nothing... I can leave it on the "Complete CableCARD Setup" screen and it doesn't lock up and the "search lights" move around and all... Same thing for "Important Message" -- I can stay there and it's fine... but as soon as I go to "Tivo Central"... Hello, "Welcome! Powering up..." cycle and then back to square one...

Ugh. Please help. Bad second drive? Bad Tivo? More tests.

What say you gurus?

Thanks,
Pete
When you say you got a pre-loaded drive, do you mean one where the seller installs the TiVo image and expands it before sending it to you?

If so, the drive isn't your problem, it's their problem, and it's on them to make things right.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
alansh

Even if SMART doesn't work over USB, the diagnostics can still detect read errors. If that's happening, return the drive. Period.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #34
HomeUser

S.M.A.R.T is just a set of commands that is sent to the drive the same way as read or write commands.

S.M.A.R.T works with USB, ESATA, FireWire and all other adapters. It's the BIOS or drivers that may capture or block access to the S.M.A.R.T commands from the high level software.

The drives manufacturers boot from CD diagnostics should see all the information unless the BIOS is capturing it. Turn off S.M.A.R.T in the BIOS then the boot CD should have full access. Of course there are always exceptions I have a Gigabit Mother Board that takes full control of the hard drives making it useless for cloning or diagnostics.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
FixItPete
Big Time Fan Newbie

New drive came in on Friday... installed same day... appears to be working as it should! This drive had a 2012 mfg. date... so I think we're great-to-go!

I guess I could have bought that prog. that would load the HD (I forget the name) -- but for $169 delivered to my door... I'm ok with it.
FixItPete is offline   Reply With Quote