TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
gweempose

A question about using the new Slingbox 350 with my Premiere ...

My old Slingbox PRO-HD finally broke, and I'm contemplating replacing it with the new 350. Ideally, I would like to send HDMI from the TiVo to my receiver, and component video to the Slingbox. I seem to recall this may cause HDMI handshake issues if all the devices in the HDMI chain aren't turned on. Is this still the case?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

ABout 10 threads down:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503791
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
moyekj

Yes, it's still a problem. A couple of options:
1. Use component connection, since the 350 has component pass-through option
2. Using HDMI connect to TV through an active HDMI switch which will keep the HDMI-HDCP handshake alive thus working around the problem when TV is off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, it's still a problem. A couple of options:

2. Using HDMI connect to TV through an active HDMI switch which will keep the HDMI-HDCP handshake alive thus working around the problem when TV is off.
Thanks! So as long as the switch remains powered, it doesn't matter if my receiver or TV are on? What a clever workaround. I happen to have a Monoprice HDMI switch just sitting around doing nothing.
(3) Minis

Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
OK, which 'active HDMI' switches are you talking about?

I presume something like this does NOT qualify?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030AZ44O

I want it for similar reasons as I have described elsewhere -- to be able to use other connections to dub to my XS32 (hard drive/DVD recorder), while still keeping the HDMI connections from Tivos to the TV connected. Currently I use the XS32 as the main 'switcher', but would probably watch via HDMI much more often IF I got past this issue.. (Yes, nowadays I live with it being a lower quality picture, but as I've said elsewhere, I usually record SD channels so it's not much of a big deal.. But am starting to think of getting more EXTERNAL storage to record more HD..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK, which 'active HDMI' switches are you talking about?

I presume something like this does NOT qualify?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030AZ44O

I want it for similar reasons as I have described elsewhere -- to be able to use other connections to dub to my XS32 (hard drive/DVD recorder), while still keeping the HDMI connections from Tivos to the TV connected. Currently I use the XS32 as the main 'switcher', but would probably watch via HDMI much more often IF I got past this issue.. (Yes, nowadays I live with it being a lower quality picture, but as I've said elsewhere, I usually record SD channels so it's not much of a big deal.. But am starting to think of getting more EXTERNAL storage to record more HD..)
The one you linked to is not active (doesn't have it's own power source). In other thread on this I was pointed to this one as confirmed to resolve the problem:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When connecting to an active switch the HDMI HDCP handshaking will still work when TV is powered off so as far as TiVo is concerned it's like the TV is still on. Kind of a PITA workaround though to have another thing to have to plug in and suck up power to workaround a stupid HDMI problem.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-30-2013 at 12:38 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The one you linked to is not active (doesn't have it's own power source). In other thread on this I was pointed to this one as confirmed to resolve the problem:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When connecting to an active switch the HDMI HDCP handshaking will still work when TV is powered off so as far as TiVo is concerned it's like the TV is still on. Kind of a PITA workaround though to have another thing to have to plug in and suck up power to workaround a stupid HDMI problem.
It should not use very much power.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
gweempose

Well, my fears were completely unwarranted. Before installing the Monoprice switch between my Slingbox and my receiver, I figured I'd see what would happen if wired up the Slingbox direct. It turns out, it works perfectly. I am able to view the component video feed coming from the TiVo when the receiver and the TV are both off. I assume my Denon must be keeping the HDCP handshake active even when it is off.
(3) Minis

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
jcthorne

My Yamaha does the same.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
gweempose

Update:

So everything was working fine until last night when I added a Dabee Darblet to the mix. Now, I will get the dreaded "HDMI viewing not permitted" message whenever the receiver is on. As long as the receiver is off, everything appears to be fine. Somehow, the Darbee is messing with the HDCP handshake. It's installed between the receiver and the TV, so I guess it doesn't factor in to the equation when the receiver is off. Interestingly, I can still watch TiVo via the HDMI output even when the message appears. It only seems to affect the component output. Very strange.
(3) Minis

Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Im not having issues with my Darblet at the location I use my Slingbox 350 with an Hdmi splitter and a Sony hdmi 2.1 speaker bar.

I think the Darblet has had some issues with a few receivers. But I've not had any issues with this one or the Darblet I use in my other setup with a DVDO DUO

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote