Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
That might work well if you pay monthly for service but as another poster pointed out, the lifetime service can't be transferred to a new unit if BB has to replace it.
but people in the past have had it transferred when BestBuy replaced it.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
zubinh

You're right. This is what the Tivo live chat rep said:

Zubinh: If the DVR breaks and needs replacement and best buy replaces the unit, Will I be able to transfer my lifetime service to the replacement unit?

Jacob: We would need you to simply fax us a copy of the exchange receipt and the new TiVo Service Number and that would be possible, yes.

Now all I need to do is find that policy on their website somewhere and I'll feel alot better about buying from Best Buy instead of Tivo
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

They've always allowed that.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They've always allowed that.

Dan
Interesting. I did not know that.

But doesn't that sound counterintuitive? After all, the BB warranty certainly only covers the equipment purchase, and the TiVo PLS is limited to the life of the original DVR. How is TiVo obligated to extend the PLS to a replacement unit provided under BB's warranty? I would guess that they accede to customer requests on a case-by-case basis as opposed to the uniform policy for recognizing the replacement unit provided under the TiVo warranty.

Last edited by chiguy50 : 09-17-2012 at 08:33 AM.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #35
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
...But doesn't that sound counterintuitive?...
Not at all.
Best Buy want to sells TiVos and extended warranties -
TiVo wants Best Buy to sell TiVos.
Allowing Lifetime service to be transferred when a TiVo is replaced by a Best Buy warranty helps to meet everyone's goals, Best Buy's, TiVo's, & the costumer.

It would be counter productive for TiVo to do anything that would discourage Best Buy from selling TiVos or that would discourage Best Buy's customers from wanting to buy a TiVo from Best Buy. While I don't think much of extended warranties some people do and they help with the sale of products and the over all profitability for the store selling them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 09-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #36
jrm01

Many years ago I bought the S3 ($800) from BB and a 4-year protection plan ($50). Three and a half years later the S3 died and I took it back to BB. They gave me the new HDXL ($400) in exchange (the S3 was no longer available) and a $300 gift card for the price difference.

I would have been happy with just the product exchange, but was even happier with the extra gift card. I couldn't get a new protection plan since they weren't offerring it then, but they do now.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Many years ago I bought the S3 ($800) from BB and a 4-year protection plan ($50). Three and a half years later the S3 died and I took it back to BB. They gave me the new HDXL ($400) in exchange (the S3 was no longer available) and a $300 gift card for the price difference.

I would have been happy with just the product exchange, but was even happier with the extra gift card. I couldn't get a new protection plan since they weren't offerring it then, but they do now.

the newer service plans won't do that anymore. They won't give you the price you paid for the original product. But you can still get a replacement if it can't be repaired.

Those old service plans were a sweet deal if you needed to use them.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

The HDXL wasn't the same equipment as the S3, so it would be unfair to trade them straight across. The S3 was a much nicer box with an OLED screen, front panel controls and a nicer case. There is a reason it cost $800 new. Trading it for a HDXL without some additional restitution would be kind of a sh*t deal. Now I know the poster was talking about it happening 3.5 years into the 4 year warranty, so for him no big deal. But if this had happened to someone 91 days into the warranty then it wouldn't be quite as good of a deal.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

At 91 days into the warranty they would most likely still have the same model box to replace it with. At 3.5 years, to get the full value back? its no wonder why BestBuy changed their policy. I've taken advantage of the extended warranty on a few items in the past.(not TiVo though). So I was sad to hear the policy changed, but not surprised. Of course this just applies to the newer warranties. Any existing warranty from before the new policy went in place that is still active can still get the generous deal.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #40
swarto112

I compared BB and Tivo online deals, BB seemed the better deal. I called TiVo and asked for a deal. got one better than BB, pick up the phone and sometimes u can get a deal. they even threw in the stream during beta when i asked for it. Told them I wouldnt buy the premiere xl4 without a stream. SOLD, and saved cash

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote