TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #31
Ment

RodMan was the best one throughout the comp so he was right to win but he didn't have the strongest sets last night. You could tell he didn't feel in the zone.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #32
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I was rooting the entire time for Joe Machi. But Keenan made a good point the night he was eliminated. The more he performed, the more confident he got. His awkwardness was why he was so funny.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Once Joe Machi was eliminated last week, I knew I wouldn't be happy with any of them. Rod Man just wasn't to my liking. I liked his material, but his style of just repeat-repeat-repeat everything I just hated! I would certainly not pay to see him.

I would be happy if they dumped JB Smoove for future seasons, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

I'll watch in the future because I like stand up well enough, but this season left me just blah.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #34
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Once Joe Machi was eliminated last week, I knew I wouldn't be happy with any of them. Rod Man just wasn't to my liking. I liked his material, but his style of just repeat-repeat-repeat everything I just hated! I would certainly not pay to see him.

I would be happy if they dumped JB Smoove for future seasons, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

I'll watch in the future because I like stand up well enough, but this season left me just blah.
This was definitely one of the weakest seasons. Joe Machi will be this season's Amy Schumer.

They need to go back to public eliminations in the last few rounds, and audience elimination in the stand-up challenges. This format seems too "cooked".
Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #35
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebockelman View Post
This format seems too "cooked".
Agreed. There were times I felt that this was more "Best Agent Representing" than "Last Comic Standing".
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #36
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post

I
I agree...I sure wish he would switch to decaf! Everyone is "my man" or xxx is in the building, or give it up for! VERY tiring to listen to.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #37
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I've always loved this show. I've gone out to see many of the previous contestants at clubs in the past. I saw Rich Vos, Dave Mordal and Corey Caheny(sp?) from the first season, Alonzo Bodden, Gary Gulman and Jay London from...season 3 maybe? And just last fall we went out to see Jon Reep at a local club, I think he won a couple seasons ago. I really enjoyed all of them, and I'm excited to be attending the tour of this year's finalists in October.

I really liked everyone in the final 5, except I really thought Nikki Carr was the weakest. Just didn't hit it with me. Lachlan, Rod Man and Joe Machi all hit my funny bone, I thought they were all great.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #38
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I didn't understand the love for Lachlan, but I liked Nikki and Rod Man. I knew Rod Man would do well, but I absolutely loved Joe Machi and I was very surprised he didn't make it to the final at least. He was funny just standing there, IMHO.

I could see Joe's awkwardness working really well in a sitcom. Most of the others, not so much.

This is the first season we watched. I scratched my head with some of them, especially in the first round. As they were supposedly seasoned veterans of the comedy circuit, I just didn't get the one guy who insulted the judges and pretty much stood there saying "Laugh at me"!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #39
Ereth

Is the season finale available anywhere for streaming? It was pre-empted for the Jaguars game here locally, so I didn't get to see it.

I can't understand how Lachlan survived the semi-final, I thought he was the weakest of the lot, and like many others here was rooting for Joe Machi.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Is the season finale available anywhere for streaming? It was pre-empted for the Jaguars game here locally, so I didn't get to see it.

I can't understand how Lachlan survived the semi-final, I thought he was the weakest of the lot, and like many others here was rooting for Joe Machi.
It's on Hulu. Not sure if it's just Hulu plus.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #41
midas
I heard that

I have to agree with Wayans on Machi. He just seemed to lose the one thing that put him over the top. But I think he did get the distinction of the #1 joke of the season. Perfect joke construction and perfect delivery. He just couldn't finish it out.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #42
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Yeah, poor guy had to burn more material than anybody else. I loved the way most of Machi's jokes took an unexpected left turn.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #43
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
It's on Hulu. Not sure if it's just Hulu plus.
How odd. I can find it through a web browser on my computer, but it's not visible on my AppleTV even if I put it in my queue. Stupid Hulu!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #44
Ereth

Managed to watch it on my iPad, airplayed to my TV so it was almost like watching on TV.

Didn't feel like any of them had their best set ever, though. Odd ending.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #45
nickels
opinionated dope

I am shocked how it ended, in that they didn't waste more time. Usually when you have three contestants remaining, you announce who came in last, then the winner. I like all of them and thought it was a toss-up. Machi could have won it all if he didn't get so comfortable on stage ruining his character. I came in late and saw it from around the top 10. How were the earlier episodes? I guess they didn't all live in a house together any more. Glad they scrapped that element of the show.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #46
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I am shocked how it ended, in that they didn't waste more time. Usually when you have three contestants remaining, you announce who came in last, then the winner. I like all of them and thought it was a toss-up. Machi could have won it all if he didn't get so comfortable on stage ruining his character. I came in late and saw it from around the top 10. How were the earlier episodes? I guess they didn't all live in a house together any more. Glad they scrapped that element of the show.
I enjoyed the early stages. There was good and bad, but I like seeing all the different styles and personalities. There were a few I thought could have gone on, but I was generally happy with the ones that made the finals.

The format of the show is entirely different than earlier seasons. Auditions used to be open, but they called the early rounds the "Invitationals." They made no bones about it, the contestants were invited. They are all working comedians that just haven't hit it big, they're not random wannabees.

I really didn't mind the format change. I think it led to more actual performing, and the challenges they did do weren't just ridiculous exercises. I liked hearing the coaching from established professionals and judges. I think they took it seriously, and gave some good insight and advice to the comics.

I thought that in the end there would be a public vote, but it stayed in the hands of the judges the entire time. I figured that some of that was because they were awarding a development deal too. This was as much a job interview as a comedy contest. That's why I felt that Nikki made the finals. I thought that she may have been the most marketable personality to have a show developed for her, even if her stand up wasn't up to par with the others.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #47
nickels
opinionated dope

Good luck giving Rod Man a TV show. There better be subtitles!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #48
Ereth

Quote:
That's why I felt that Nikki made the finals. I thought that she may have been the most marketable personality to have a show developed for her, even if her stand up wasn't up to par with the others.
I thought Nikki really came on late in the season and became my second favorite, after Joe Machi. Rod Man had some really strong stuff, and was going to be tough to beat, but I actually liked Nikki better.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #49
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Well, you know, different strokes. For the most part, I could finish Nikki's punch lines before she got there. I would sit and laugh out loud at Rod Man, sometimes I'd have to rewind to hear a line I was laughing through, and then Nikki came on, and I'd be watching quietly, no laughing. She never hit my funny bone, except for one joke in the finale..."I'm not flexible enough to be a heterosexual."

I think she's very likable, but the material just didn't grab me.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #50
Ereth

Quote:
Well, you know, different strokes. For the most part, I could finish Nikki's punch lines before she got there. I would sit and laugh out loud at Rod Man, sometimes I'd have to rewind to hear a line I was laughing through, and then Nikki came on, and I'd be watching quietly, no laughing. She never hit my funny bone, except for one joke in the finale..."I'm not flexible enough to be a heterosexual."

I think she's very likable, but the material just didn't grab me.
OH I certainly agree it wasn't her best night. ("I was a bad heterosexual, because I don't like to stretch" is the best joke she had). I liked her "I didn't WANT to become a lesbian" bit several weeks earlier, thought it was much stronger, and the one about how if she was in a horror movie, the monster would be the guy she was dating. Those were, in my mind, better sets.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #51
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Good luck giving Rod Man a TV show. There better be subtitles!
Well they say they get a development deal, not an actual show. Have any of the past winners actually gotten a sitcom out of this deal?
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #52
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
Well they say they get a development deal, not an actual show. Have any of the past winners actually gotten a sitcom out of this deal?
No, I don't think so. Although I'm not sure if a development deal was always part of the package. But it's true that there's a lot more development deals out there than shows they produce. A lot of them just don't materialize.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #53
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Intermission at the Last Comic Standing tour... Having a great time!