TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
camryguy

Possible new TiVo Owner

Hello All,
New to the forums.
My question is this: We are TWC customers and are looking at TiVo Premiere. We have basic cable and HD box, was wondering what we will be charged for if we switched to TiVo.
I understand the Cable card rental, but not sure of other cable charges. would we still be billed for basic cable.
I was just curious before we made the move, thank you in advance and sorry for the newbie question.
camryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

I am not a TWC customer, but I can tell you what happened with me with both Cox and FIOS.

Nothing changed with what we were charged for video contect. HD tier, HBO, Sports, etc.

We paid a rental fee for the cable box. This was removed from our account and we had a new charge for a cable card. I don't remember if there was a charge to convert. Since we were a new FIOS customer the cable card setup came included with the whole FIOS installation.

I am still very happy with TiVo. No regrets giving up our Cable DVRs. In retrospect I probably would have been happy to pay some extra charges. I am sure at the time I would not have been.

YMMV.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
jjberger2134

Well you have the cost of the TiVo Box and the monthly charge from TiVo (or the lifetime fee if you choose to go that route).

As far as TWC, if you replace the TWC box with a Premiere and give back your current HD box then you MAY not even have a charge for the cable card. Do you pay additional for that HD box now? If not, and its your only box then the cost may be included in the cost of your cable subscription.

TWC remains your cable company, TiVo doesn't provide traditonal cable services. Thus, you will continue to pay TWC whatever your monthly rate happens to be PLUS hardware and monthly charges to TiVo.

Welcome to the forum. Hope this helps.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Kerwin51580

I'm a TWC cable customer and made the switch at the very end of August. The only difference is that our TWC boxes were DVRs. We got two Premiere XL4s. We're being charged $2 per month for each cable card. However the converter charges ($10 per box) and the DVR service charges ($12.95 per box) fell off our bill as well as the 25 cent charge for each TWC remote. Of course you'll have to pay the TiVo charge and whatever TWC is charging for basic service but that's about it.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
andyw715

The biggest difference will be in the ease of getting pay per view, and some of the other services (VOD) provided by the TWC box might not be available via TiVo.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
GAViewer

I have Truvista, I got a premier with lifetime service so no more money to Tivo. Truvista charges changed to have a $4 cablecard fee, and dropped the $4 charge for the set top box. That is no change to the actual bill. I did lose access to pay to view, but we never did pay to view so that wasn't a proboelm.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yes, if your cable company has a dedicated channel for VOD then that may go away (some do some don't). I have Suddenlink and mine went away but the Tivo allows you to get VOD downloads from places like Amazon so that was not a big loss for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If your Tivo can tune to the VOD channel(s), chances are you can order VOD over the phone. It depends on the cable company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Johnwashere

I have time warner. No hidden fees, just the $2 cable card fee +tivo fees. Its actually cheaper monthly for me now since time warner charges $20 a month for dvr. I have 1 premier ($99 annually) and 1 premiere 4 with lifetime. I love my tivos and I am SO glad I switched.
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote