TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
Chris Gerhard

I am not even sure what my cap is, I am on AT&T U-verse now, just switched from Comcast Xfinity. I understood the cap would be 250GB but I can't find that in my contract and I can't figure out how to determine my usage. I do know it hasn't ever approached 100GB per month, much less whatever the cap might be. As far as 1TB, I will estimate my usage of data from discs, OTA and the internet is very close. I probably play about 20 BD per month on average and at least a dozen DVDs, 30 or 40 CDs, and a handful of SACDs and DVD-As. I also watch about 40 hours of OTA so something close to 1TB each month wouldn't surprise me and if I had to get it from the internet rather than discs and an antenna on the roof, I would be in trouble.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #32
lpwcomp

U-verse announced a 250GB/mo data cap a year ago but I don't believe they ever implemented it. I think they had problems actually tracking the usage since in my case, and I'm sure many others, the site they had that was supposed to tell you what your usage was never worked. I can no longer find any official mention of the cap on the att website although I would swear I saw it within the last week or so.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #33
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
High or even non-stop use using a bandwidth one pays for is not increase the costs to the ISP nor does it necessarily prevent other from accessing their internet tier service at the bandwidth they pay for. So, the notion that one should pay more based based on volume of traffic on the assumption that it costs the ISP more or negatively impacts other users is FALSE. Or more likely, ISP's are FALSELY labeling ISP rates based on bandwidth that they rarely provide (at full bandwidth) and throttle accordingly, like an airline overbooking a flight. Yes, the airlines can overbook, but if they bump you, there are mandated compensations the airlines must provide. Not so for ISP's who have now been studied to provide the full bandwidth of service as low as 50% of the time (Episode of Revison 3's Tekzilla this week cites a study and weblink to it). So, it seems the consumers are being ripped-off by ISP's who don't provide the bandwidth consumers pay for. It easily could be a case of false advertising or not getting what you pay for that should, one would hope, interest the FTC.

However, pricing based upon the bandwidth you prefer IS fair and does effect what is left for other users, so it is the "tier" of service, meaning what one's downstream and upstream bandwidth that may cost the ISP more and negatively effect others, NOT the volume of traffic, but that's why we pay MORE for more BANDWIDTH and ISP's, properly, charge more for bandwidth. It's why one pays more for the 2,000 Sq Ft. condo and the next guys pays less in the same complex for the 600Sq Ft. studio. How I use the space I've paid for shouldn't affect (if the ISP's are honest) the poor fellow who has only 600 Sq. Ft of space to live. As for the internet access, frequency of use or amount of "traffic" is irrelevant. But ISP's don't operate fairly or properly in this regard, hence the controversy. Also, ISP's have done a great job fooling people into believing volume of traffic (heavy users) is the culprit. This isn't opinion, but established as fact by several IT and other computer experts and consumer groups (including Consumers Union, I believe), so please don't beat me up on this, as it has been established as a well known fact in IT.

there's a lot in there- I think your point is that if you pay for x mb/s you should get that speed and so if you use that for 5 minutes a day or 24 hours it shouldn't matter?

If that's your point- you're living in lala land. NO ONE- not even regulated ma-bell builds a network big enough to cover everyone using it at the same time. It's cost prohibitive and we'd all need to pay some crazy amount each month for comcast or whomever to build a network big enough that everyone could use it at 100% at all times. Try to make a landline OR cell phone call when there is an earthquake or a tsumani or a terrorist attack in the area- guess what the lines are jammed because the network isn't built to handle everyone using it all at once. It's just not how they build the networks. Do people complain and go nutz on blogs when ATT can't provide enough landline circuits to call Japan after a tsunami?

A network engineer has to decide how big is big enough. He can decide to built it to make (made up number) 95% happy and he/she builds it that way. But if someone in the neighborhood uses "excessive" bits THEN only 80% of customers are happy. Then the handful of people using "excessive" affected the others and that in turn will cost Comcast to spend money to upgrade the network.

So a small group of users can negatively effect others AND therefore push up the cost of the network.

I think FIOS is close to being able to build such an architecture where you get a certain up/download speed and it IS all yours 100% of the time. But even then- there are bottlenecks on the verizon network where they aggregate all the connections and connect to something bigger. So even all fiber network would have issues too if a some certain amount of folks use "more that normal".

Now that said- there are some tricky issues in there about how things should be sold and/or advertised. those are some interesting discussions and that should probably be the point that is made. Sounds like maybe this is more your point that they need to be more honest and transparent with it?

Maybe they should charge in buckets of bits like the cell phone companies are moving? Maybe they should just open all the speed restrictions on the modems and then go to buckets of bits? But then it would be like cell phones and you would never know what speed you might get at any moment (not even the guess speeds we have now that aren't hard and fast).

Also real good points about moving to the cloud above. I use idrive for backup in the cloud- I've got like 130gigs on it. If my computer where to die (I have redundant drives in my file store computer and a physical backup at my house too- but could be a fire or something...) and I needed to download that whole 130gigs that month I'd probably come close to going over myself.

and to be clear i quoted "excessive" and those sorts of words because they are surely up for interpretation and grownup discussion.

(actually thinking about it I think I read that back 'in the day' ma bell built the phone network to handle a single annual event and that they and the regulators agreed that was enough- I seem to recall if might have been mothersday but i can't remember. Maybe that's the solution that the FCC should regulate they need to provide something like 95% of their advertised speeds from 5-10pm each night and if they go below they get fined- but still we wind up with probably we all need to pay by buckets of bits then)

Last edited by MichaelK : 05-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #34
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Is your town immune to satellite beams (Dish, DirecTV)?
no-

But notice I was talking triple play and/or broadband. TV is not the issue. The problem around here is the local phone monopoly stinks.

Satellite doesn't offer phone service. They have crappy internet- want to complain about caps, and poor service- check into that...

They do bundle with centurylink to provide a bundle through them- but as above centurylink is pathetic they only offer DSL and the CO's are very sparse around here so there are very few people that can even get the max DSL speed they offer - which is half of the basic plan on comcast. I dont know if they have caps or not. The major issue though is the service is just plan unreliable compared to comcast (crazy as that sounds)

Last edited by MichaelK : 05-20-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #35
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
no-

But notice I was talking triple play and/or broadband. TV is not the issue. The problem around here is the local phone monopoly stinks.

Satellite doesn't offer phone service. They have crappy internet- want to complain about caps, and poor service- check into that...

They do bundle with centurylink to provide a bundle through them- but as above centurylink is pathetic they only offer DSL and the CO's are very sparse around here so there are very few people that can even get the max DSL speed they offer - which is half of the basic plan on comcast. I dont know if they have caps or not. The major issue though is the service is just plan unreliable compared to comcast (crazy as that sounds)
I realize that. I was just calling your "ZERO competition" statement into question.
From YOUR perspective for the services YOU want, there is only one option.
I agree that is a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #36
Samantha Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I used to upload a lot of 720p and 1080p trailers. As well as firmwares and updates for different devices.
Hey send me some links to those high definition movies and trailers.
Samantha Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I realize that. I was just calling your "ZERO competition" statement into question.
From YOUR perspective for the services YOU want, there is only one option.
I agree that is a problem.

probably some hyperbole in there- but at least i didn't talk nazi's or anything. ;-)

it's the internet and all...

But seriously the proper way to say it would be "there is not a viable alternative that can expect to wrestle any significant market share from cable from consumers interested in either high speed internet or a bundle containing same"

"zero competition" is so much faster- and well... just plain more fun. LOL
Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Kirk

Hey send me some links to those high definition movies and trailers.
I deleted them when I changed hosts last month.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote