TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
jlc4

Guide to post-Series2 used Tivos?

I am a current Tivo Series 2 owner. It's hooked up to an old CRT TV. It's an HD-ready TV, but the single HDMI port is being used by a Roku box. The TV also has composite and S-video connectors.

We are not heavy TV users at all, but the Tivo was used heavily for the Olympics. We also record Mythbusters because it's on after the youngest kid has to go to bed. Really, it's nice to have for a few things, but TV is not central to our lives (especially in the summer, we watch more TV in the winter).

Comcast is currently giving us "limited basic" service on analog coax, but they are going "all digital" in the next 6 months.

DH, who is even cheaper than I am, is horrified at the 500 current fee for lifetime, so I'm starting to watch for a used Tivo. But, I haven't been following the Tivo product line at all in the past 6 years or so, so the model names and numbers mean nothing to me.

Can somebody give me a crash course on what kind of old Tivo to watch for? (name and model number to search on eBay or the seller's forum here).

I believe my needs are:

1. Can read analog cable today, digital cable w/ CableCard in 6 months.
2. Doesn't use up my one HDMI port on the TV, if possible.
3. Is a model that's been reliable for people (I don't want to buy a used model that's been notorious for problems). We'll probably use whatever we buy until it dies, and even then we'll try to fix it before tossing it out. DH has swapped out the disk drive and a fan on the current Tivo over the years.

Thanks!
jlc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
pig_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc4 View Post
2. Doesn't use up my one HDMI port on the TV, if possible
You can buy a HDMI switch from monoprice.com, here's a link to all their switches:

Click Here!
pig_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
dwit

What kind of subscription do you have on your present Tivo? Maybe it will qualify your for msd on another unit. MSD lifetime is $400.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
The need for analog support rules out the new four-tuner models (Elite, XL4, 4).

The original Series 3 may not be a good choice, either, since it needs two CableCards to work in dual-tuner mode.

Quote:
All of the Series 3 and 4 TiVos include component outputs (the only other way to view HD, besides HDMI). The Series 3 models also have s-video, but you can only get an SD picture that way. You don't mention component, but if this is really a CRT TV with HDMI and s-video, I'd be surprised if it doesn't also have component.

Personally I'd be strongly inclined to treat the TiVo as the most important video source, and give it the HDMI port. Of course you could also use an HDMI switch.

Quote:
3. Is a model that's been reliable for people (I don't want to buy a used model that's been notorious for problems).
Hmm, that leaves out TiVo then.

The most complained-about model is probably the Premiere, but only because of its HDUI, which you can turn off. Its advantages outweigh this IMHO. It's also the only model line that's currently receiving software updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
I am a current Tivo Series 2 owner. It's hooked up to an old CRT TV. It's an HD-ready TV, but the single HDMI port is being used by a Roku box. The TV also has composite and S-video connectors.

We are not heavy TV users at all, but the Tivo was used heavily for the Olympics. We also record Mythbusters because it's on after the youngest kid has to go to bed. Really, it's nice to have for a few things, but TV is not central to our lives (especially in the summer, we watch more TV in the winter).

Comcast is currently giving us "limited basic" service on analog coax, but they are going "all digital" in the next 6 months.

DH, who is even cheaper than I am, is horrified at the 500 current fee for lifetime, so I'm starting to watch for a used Tivo. But, I haven't been following the Tivo product line at all in the past 6 years or so, so the model names and numbers mean nothing to me.

Can somebody give me a crash course on what kind of old Tivo to watch for? (name and model number to search on eBay or the seller's forum here).

I believe my needs are:

3. Is a model that's been reliable for people (I don't want to buy a used model that's been notorious for problems). We'll probably use whatever we buy until it dies, and even then we'll try to fix it before tossing it out. DH has swapped out the disk drive and a fan on the current Tivo over the years.

Thanks!
If you're in the general Boston area, see this link quickly

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=491352

Otherwise,

If you only have a Series 2, and not a newer Series 3, you should be eligible for the current deal on the Premiere, the first of the Series 4 units.

It's $399 for the machine and Product Lifetime Service on it.

I think it's good through Aug 31.

See this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490689

Many Series 3s (there are three different models of S3s) are having power supply problems due to "capacitor plague" (you can read about it on Wikipedia), but it might just as well strike your Series 2 (I've repaired supplies in one of each in the past year).

If one of you can solder, you can fix it for $10 or less in replacement parts.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
shwru980r

Quote:

I believe my needs are:

Thanks!
You should be able to continue using your Series 2 after the digital conversion. Comcast has a digital transport adapter (DTA) that will work with a series 2 to convert the digital signal to an analog signal that can be used by the series 2. You will need an IR cable to change the channels on the DTA.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
All of the Series 3 and 4 TiVos include component outputs (the only other way to view HD, besides HDMI). The Series 3 models also have s-video, but you can only get an SD picture that way.
Yes, the composite and S-video outputs are technically analog signals but your statement makes it sound like the HD (16:9) picture gets reduced to SD size (4:3). That's not the case.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

I believe my needs are:

Thanks!
Hopefully you got my PM response re: the S3HD units I have for sale. I checked the power supplies after I took them offline yesterday and there is no capacitor plague. They will probably go on eBay tomorrow unless you want one.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Yes, the composite and S-video outputs are technically analog signals but your statement makes it sound like the HD (16:9) picture gets reduced to SD size (4:3). That's not the case.
The HD picture absolutely gets reduced to SD resolution (480i) if you use s-video or composite. The aspect ratio is not the point.

It's not about analog vs. digital, either -- component video is also analog, but it does convey HD resolutions, unlike s-video or composite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
The HD picture absolutely gets reduced to SD resolution (480i) if you use s-video or composite. The aspect ratio is not the point.

It's not about analog vs. digital, either -- component video is also analog, but it does convey HD resolutions, unlike s-video or composite.
Thanks for clarifying that. Many folks equate "SD" with the 4:3 format and "HD" with the 16:9 format without understanding that you can retain the 16:9 format of HD channels but lose resolution.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
jlc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Hopefully you got my PM response re: the S3HD units I have for sale. I checked the power supplies after I took them offline yesterday and there is no capacitor plague. They will probably go on eBay tomorrow unless you want one.
lillevig,

Yes, got the note. Thanks. Right now we are tempted by the 400 Premiere offer, so if you want to sell right away definitely list on eBay! We're not in a hurry.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
jlc4

Quote:

Sorry for the sloppy technical jargon! Looking at the information again, the adapter that we can get for free after the conversion is digital, but not HD-resolution quality. The info website doesn't say whether we'll get HD with the cable card option.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
lillevig,

Yes, got the note. Thanks. Right now we are tempted by the 400 Premiere offer, so if you want to sell right away definitely list on eBay! We're not in a hurry.
Ok. Hadn't seen that Premiere offer. $400 is basically a free box and $100 discount on the lifetime (the same as you get for the MSD if you have a qualifying box). Good luck.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
dwit

Quote:
lillevig,

As far as I understand, that $400 offer is not available to everyone. Have you checked to see if you qualify?

For whatever reason, none of my 3 units(all bought by me, brand new) do not qualify me for the offer.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
As far as I understand, that $400 offer is not available to everyone. Have you checked to see if you qualify?

For whatever reason, none of my 3 units(all bought by me, brand new) do not qualify me for the offer.
The offer is for people without any S3 or S4 platform units.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote