Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #31
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yep, I and by my very quote, I would say that I would still be "in" I said, if a show haspotential....which even in those, not so great first few episodes, there was definitely potential there. Heck I stuck through the whole season of the Michael J Fox Show because I thought there was potential there (shame it was never realized).

And yeah, I realized you were giving me crap.
The problem with potential is that those shows often wind up sucking anyways.

The most egregious examples for me in recent memory are FlashForward, Revolution, and Under the Dome.

So much potential utterly wasted.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #32
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

The most egregious examples for me in recent memory are FlashForward, Revolution, and Under the Dome.

Actually, Under the Dome lived up to the potential to be the most mind-numbingly stupid show in the history of TV.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Actually, Under the Dome lived up to the potential to be the most mindnumbingly stupid show in the history of TV.
Back for another season right?

2 personal observations

TV Shows over the past 3-4 years have REALLY cut into baseball, hocket, and playoff basketball watching, I mean a LOT (not touching Football)

Once I start a show, I tend to stick with it to the bitter end (unless it's a bad sitcom)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
2 personal observations

TV Shows over the past 3-4 years have REALLY cut into baseball, hockey, and playoff basketball watching, I mean a LOT (not touching Football)

Once I start a show, I tend to stick with it to the bitter end (unless it's a bad sitcom)
++

I gave up sports on TV a few years back, not to create more TV time, but for other reasons. The side effect is much more time for higher priorities (mostly more TV). Also, my Sundays are much less harried these days, since giving up sports is mainly giving up football.

And like you, I remain far too faithful for far too long to far too many shows. It takes an act of god for me to give up on a drama that I'm invested in, although it does happen. Sitcoms usually lose me within the first season, or I'm (usually) in for the long haul.

I'm having a serious self-conversation about giving up The Simpsons. It's nowhere near the show it used to be, but dammit, I've watched for 500 (600? 700?) episodes and that's just tough to walk away from.

Maybe we need a support group for these kinds of life-changing decisions.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Actually, Under the Dome lived up to the potential to be the most mind-numbingly stupid show in the history of TV.
The pilot was good and I think the concept is great.
But the execution since the pilot has been severely flawed.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #36
mr.unnatural

The fact that it was based on a Stephen King story should have been the first clue. There have been very few, if any, successful attempts at bringing one of his stories to the small screen with any margin of success. Haven, based on King's "The Colorado Kid," is about the only book that comes to mind that had any success on TV. Most of them have been disastrous.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #37
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post

The fact that it was based on a Stephen King story should have been the first clue. There have been very few, if any, successful attempts at bringing one of his stories to the small screen with any margin of success. Haven, based on King's "The Colorado Kid," is about the only book that comes to mind that had any success on TV. Most of them have been disastrous.
I really liked "The Stand" miniseries. Obviously, it wasn't as good as the book, but I found it to be a thoroughly entertaining adaptation.
(3) Minis

Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm having a serious self-conversation about giving up The Simpsons. It's nowhere near the show it used to be, but dammit, I've watched for 500 (600? 700?) episodes and that's just tough to walk away from.

Maybe we need a support group for these kinds of life-changing decisions.
I was one of the biggest Simpsons fans until the early 2000's. Haven't really watched it in like 10 years short of a random ep or two. Just so meh to me now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #39
gweempose

Quote:

I was one of the biggest Simpsons fans until the early 2000's. Haven't really watched it in like 10 years short of a random ep or two. Just so meh to me now
Same here. I watched it religiously for the first 10 seasons or so, and then I just got bored of it. I've never seen a single episode of Futurama, though, so I'm kind of looking forward to checking that one out.
(3) Minis

Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #40
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Same here. I watched it religiously for the first 10 seasons or so, and then I just got bored of it. I've never seen a single episode of Futurama, though, so I'm kind of looking forward to checking that one out.
LOVE Futurama. The first stint on Fox was awesome, the newer eps (like 2010+ i think, something like that) are good, but not as good.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #41
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

We have a sizeable backlog of shows also but don't sweat it. We offload them to the NAS if they aren't copy protected and eventually we'll either get to them or we won't. We watch maybe a couple of hours of "mutual" TV each day and aren't going to binge just to catch up.

Last edited by NashvilleKat : 04-13-2014 at 08:08 AM.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #42
unitron

Quote:
Haven benefits from very unlike the book, for which I contend King owes me a refund and a personal apology.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #43
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Haven benefits from very unlike the book, for which I contend King owes me a refund and a personal apology.
Apparently, Stephen King (or his webmaster) doesn't feel his book was actually adapted for TV. It's missing from the list of his books that were done as a TV series or show on his official website.

http://www.stephenking.com/library/television/
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #44
unitron

Quote:
Apparently, Stephen King (or his webmaster) doesn't feel his book was actually adapted for TV. It's missing from the list of his books that were done as a TV series or show on his official website.

http://www.stephenking.com/library/television/
It's adapted to the extent that it includes two old guys running a newspaper and a young-ish female who comes from out of town, and that's about it, although they did eventually include mention of someone called the Colorado Kid (who really bore no resemblance to the one in the book).

But the TV show benefits by not being based on the book enough to be worth noticing, because a faithful adaption of the book to the screen, big or little, would have left 99.99% of the viewers feeling cheated.

The book has a fatal flaw, for which King's "explanation" is basically "Too bad, deal with it", rather than "I wasn't really a good enough writer to pull this off".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post

I agree. I've stuck through those three shows much longer than I should have because of that. Which is why I would have stuck with Seinfeld in the DVR era. Revolution I watched a season plus a few episodes into the second. FF I watched the whole thing (not sure why), same with UTD, but I won't be back for S2.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #46
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Back for another season right?

2 personal observations

TV Shows over the past 3-4 years have REALLY cut into baseball, hocket, and playoff basketball watching, I mean a LOT (not touching Football)

This, well, except basketball which I haven't watched a full game on TV since the last time the Knicks were in the finals (late 1990s)?

I still watch Rangers games over just about everything else, but where I used to watch most Yankee games, I only watch parts of the games now unless it's an important one, or I'll come to the game toward the end.