TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
cardigans1

Hooking up a single tuner S2 tivo to an OTA antenna

Hi - I have successfully been using my S2 single tuner Tivo with DirecTV HD for the past 4 years. I'm now ready to cut the cord and move to an OTA antenna.

Is there a converter box or something similar that I need to purchase to make this work?

Thanks in advance
cardigans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
cannonz

You need a compatible digital to analog converter http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../310/related/1
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardigans1 View Post
Hi - I have successfully been using my S2 single tuner Tivo with DirecTV HD for the past 4 years. I'm now ready to cut the cord and move to an OTA antenna.

Is there a converter box or something similar that I need to purchase to make this work?

Thanks in advance
If it's not lifetimed, pick up a nice used S3 instead for around $50

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
cardigans1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it's not lifetimed, pick up a nice used S3 instead for around $50
One of them is lifetime, the other isn't. Never thought about that - thanks for the tip!
cardigans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Series 2 only has an analog tuner and 99% of OTA is now digital, so a digital converter box is needed, as well as a IR control cable for it to change channels. It is also slower in changing channels when recording.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
One of them is lifetime, the other isn't. Never thought about that - thanks for the tip!
If you want OTA channels, and you're paying for a monthly TiVo sub, you might as well buy a TiVo that can tune those channels than pay almost as much for an adapter to let the S2 tune those channels.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Coffee

Quote:
I agree that you'd be way better off getting something newer than a S2. All of them are compatible with OTA and you get both tuners working, not just a single tuner. Your OTA HD channels will also work like they're supposed to. You're also not going to be tied to the converter box, as they all get digital signals just fine.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

If you have HD TVs already then you might as well sell the lifetime TiVo on eBay or on this forum and get all HD TiVos. A used HD TiVo Lifetime will cost you about $300, a Premiere with lifetime about $400 to $500 on ebay or this forum.

Last edited by replaytv : 02-15-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: to add last line
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I agree that you'd be way better off getting something newer than a S2. All of them are compatible with OTA
Not all newer Tivos are compatible with OTA.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
timckelley
TCFer

I am now in this boat. I've been suggesting for a long time to my wife cutting Time Warner cable, and she's finally told me to do it. I didn't take her seriously because she often says things impulsively without meaning it, but she reminded me about it today, and I told her I didn't think she was serious, but she says she is.

Anyway, we have four TiVos, all lifetimed: Premier, TiVo HD, and two single tuner S2's. The S2's are the ones I'm doing research on how to connect to an antenna.

Anyway, I happen to have one antenna handy, and as a test, I plugged it into the TiVo HD, and to my happiness, all 9 local channels come in clearly. (Not really 9, but some have subchannels, so it adds up to 9.) It's just a very cheap antenna I got at Radio Shack.

I see some people say it's not worth the hassle of rigging an S2 unless it's lifetimed, but mine are lifetimed, so I think it is worth the hassle. I thank the person at the beginning of this thread for the link to the page with all the different of digital converters, and which are compatible with TiVo, so I guess my next step is to shop around for whichever converter is cheapest. I guess I'll need two of them, but maybe I'll buy one first as a test to make sure it works as well as I hope it does. When I confirm it works, then I'll also need to buy 3 more cheap antennas. Maybe there's a way to have one antenna to service the whole house, but I don't know how to do that, and that might be more hassle than to just have 4 separate cheap antennas.

I may soon look to possibly supplement my OTA content with other free or low priced content. (Which shouldn't be hard to find, pricewise, considering how expensive Time Warner is.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
timckelley
TCFer

Out of curiosity, what do you people think of the idea of me getting a used converter box? They seem a fair amount cheaper than brand-new, and I assume there aren't moving parts in them, so hopefully a used one would still be reliable.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I don't know if you want to buy a used one. Friends, family, and myself have digital converter boxes since the beginning, and they do break on occasion. I think I have known of 3 or 4 quit working since the beginning. Two were Apex and I forget what the other ones were. They are laying around here some place if you want me to check.

I really like having the two tuners in the newer boxes so I feel crippled with with just one tuner Series 2 boxes. But I might go back to Series 2s because the HD boxes only record in HD for OTA so they take up the hard drive space pretty quick.

I have never had any trouble with using the IR cables to control the converter boxes, although I have heard of others going through a lot of hassle making little cardboard boxes around the emitters to try and solve problems.

I have IR cables and converter boxes if you live in the metro Denver area if you want to go that way. I have new and used ones.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
cannonz

If you can find a Channel master CM7000 used at good price would be worth a shot. AVS had a OTA converter section I assume they still do, might find people selling all kinds there.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote