TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #61
realityboy

I'm watching a little less intently than previous seasons. I'm not sure if it's the dancers fault or just because I'm paying less attention. Part of it is that it feels as if we've seen these dances in previous seasons. Obviously we haven't seen the exact choreography but similar stuff. Maybe at top 10, they'll start wowing us with imaginative routines.

I'll likely start voting when it gets to the top 10. There are only a few standouts for me.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #62
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Is it just me, or are there fewer choreographers in a week than there used to be?

I remember way back when, there would be a lot of numbers from different choreographers, and then there would be one choreographer (or team) that did two routines, and for the choreographer who did two routines in a week, often one would seem distinctly weaker than the other.

Now we have what, Mandy Moore and Travis doing numbers for the show AND doing the group numbers. This week seemed awfully contemporary-heavy to me.

Now we're at the point where they call out the names of some people who used to make me say "oh boy, another number from (name)" and now I groan and say "oh, no, not another number from (name)". To me that's a sign they don't have enough choreographers on tap.

The stupid theatrical lighting that makes the dancers invisible can go away, too.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #63
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Is it just me, or are there fewer choreographers in a week than there used to be?
No you are definitely correct.
I think they are trying to make Travis a celebrity choreographer before the show gets canned.
And they have also been some other past contestants as choreographers: mostly on the ballroom side - the two - are they russians? sasha and pasha i'm forgetting their names LOL and Lacey Schimmer (which I am sure I am spelling wrong).

Plus - the great choreographers can take ages to perfect a new work - these folks doing 2 or 3 routines a week might be why we are feeling the choreography stinks this year.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #64
gschrock

Never in my life would I have expected to see a Rob Zombie song being used for a ballroom dance. I had to do a double-take over that one.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #65
Cainebj

This week was a lot better with the all-star partners and some choreographers who haven't been around this season.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #66
cl8855
woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
This week was a lot better with the all-star partners and some choreographers who haven't been around this season.
i was thinking this too, some excellent performances
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #67
Cainebj

yes but there were also some WTH moments
- is it me or do they bring Brandon in every year to do some super-paced discoesque number where they are moving so fast they are going to hurt themselves
- Travis' big ballet contemporary was a big bust - he was making it sound like it was ground breaking and then - not so much
- and as usual - they judges and everyone make a big deal out of a routine that is merely so what - in this case Sonya's was pretty nothing special

I really liked the opening number and was happy to see NappyTabs back.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #68
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
- is it me or do they bring Brandon in every year to do some super-paced discoesque number where they are moving so fast they are going to hurt themselves
Yeah, it's stupid. My favorite number of Brandon's is still the cha-cha routine they did, which showed real finesse.

Quote:
- Travis' big ballet contemporary was a big bust - he was making it sound like it was ground breaking and then - not so much
I could do without the whole 'fusion cuisine' motif.

Quote:
- and as usual - they judges and everyone make a big deal out of a routine that is merely so what - in this case Sonya's was pretty nothing special

I really liked the opening number and was happy to see NappyTabs back.
I'm not a huge fan of NappyTabs. Not a hater, either; it's just that I seem to like their stuff about half of the time.

But I was really glad to see them back -- it seemed like a huge breath of fresh air, which says something about how stale some of the other choreography has gotten.

Was the Argentine Tango this week? I would have liked that, too, if I had been able to see it. Still not happy with the theatrical lighting and moving camera POV and stuff that seems to be constantly making flares in the cameras.

Really wish they would get away from the over-production. Less is more.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #69
Cainebj

kinda off topic but maybe not since she is on this week's show

Allison Holker is going to be a pro-dancer on the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars. I love her so I am happy about that, but I never thought of her as a ballroom dancer so that's kinda weird.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #70
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Oh, no. I love Allison, but not if it means that DwtS is going to be infested with more contemporary dance.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #71
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Oh, no. I love Allison, but not if it means that DwtS is going to be infested with more contemporary dance.
That won't happen - it's hard enough teaching the celebrities ballroom moves; do you honestly think you can teach any of them enough contemporary dance in such a short time period that they wouldn't be dangers to themselves and their partners, much less not making fools of themselves? (And even that assumes that the professionals besides Allison have done any serious contemporary work recently, or that they would limit the contemporary routines to Allison and her partner.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #72
zalusky

Quote:
Are we having a "Strictly Ballroom" moment!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #73
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
That won't happen
They've already done it:

Amy Purdy and Derek Hough

Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #74
Cainebj

Yeah they added contemporary routines a couple of seasons ago -

I have always assumed Holker's genre was contemporary - I am sure on SYTYCD she did some ballroom but...
Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #75
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Yeah they added contemporary routines a couple of seasons ago
I'm surprised they could find celebrities that could handle contemporary.

I have a feeling somebody thinks "contemporary = choreography Emmys," especially since SYTYCD got four of the five choreography nominations this year (and keep in mind. those were from the 2013 season).
Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #76
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Michael Jackson night

I was enjoying the show, and thinking that finally we were getting some good routines for a change, and then ...

... they brought out Control Freakz, the guest crew.

What just happened?

It's like somebody hit a 'clear everything and delete on my brain'. Like, did anybody else dance on the show?

Okay, I'm biased, because I really like the music -- La Valse D'amélie [Orchestra Version] from the soundtrack to Amélie -- but the choreography and performance was magnificent.

There's the long smooth sweeping lines of the music, and the sparkly staccato of the percussion, and the dancers, via their popping, were expressing both aspects of the music at the same time.

It was just superb, and the only thing I can say against it is that I wished it were longer. (The timing on my soundtrack CD says that track is just 2 minutes even.)

I ran it back immediately and I've watched it two times more.

Just breathtaking.

Here's the link to the official clip on the SYTYCD YouTube channel.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-14-2014 at 02:00 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #77
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Anyone here know if this will be back next summer? Usually by now Nigel says its coming back. I know the ratings are pretty crummy this season.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #78
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Anyone here know if this will be back next summer? Usually by now Nigel says its coming back. I know the ratings are pretty crummy this season.
http://renewcanceltv.com/think-can-d...enew-end-year/

Not yet renewed.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #79
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I'm surprised they could find celebrities that could handle contemporary.

I have a feeling somebody thinks "contemporary = choreography Emmys," especially since SYTYCD got four of the five choreography nominations this year (and keep in mind. those were from the 2013 season).
I think last season Candace Cameron had a contemporary number pretty early on and actually did pretty well, and she had little to no dance experience going in.

Some of the celebs might not have the flexibility to get a nice line going, but now that I think about it, I don't know if Contemporary would be all that different from the other dances for the celebs. I mean it's not like it's real social lead/follow. It's all "learn this choreography in 1 week, and I'll talk you through it as we perform."
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #80
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

NappyTabs (Napoleon and Tabitha Dumo) won this year's Emmy for Choreography. Note that this is for last season, as the Emmy "year" runs from June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014.

And somebody needs to explain to Nigel how the Emmys work. During the Creative Arts ceremony, he tweeted that SYTYCD won an Emmy for costume design - apparently unaware that this category is one of two categories where they announce the winners two weeks in advance (since there are no nominees - every entry is given its own "yes or no" vote - and they have to tell the winners in advance so they can be at the ceremony to pick up their Emmys and give their acceptance speeches). This could explain why he never mentioned the win after it was announced.

As for whether or not the show will be back next season: I don't see why not - I don't think Fox has anything to show in its place that would get better ratings. Besides - it would give Cat another shot at an Emmy; she lost this year to Jane Lynch (for hosting Hollywood Game Night).
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #81
realityboy

Utopia? I don't know if it'll have any effect, but it's airing multiple times a week, supposedly for a year so it should be on next summer. I'm sure they could find room for both if they wanted, but if they cancel SYTYCD, they'll still have at least one show on in the summer.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #82
gschrock

I saw an article recently that basically said the guy in charge at FOX of making the decision would like to have it back if they can make it work. He supposedly likes the show, and would have a hard time imagining it not being back. Of course, that's what you'd expect them to say, so expect a cancellation notice any time now .

Personally I think as long as they can make the financial numbers work it'll be back. Ratings are somewhat down this year, but as far as I know they're still respectable. It's a solid show for the summer.

(Interesting side note. Had a newspaper article here that talked about what acts actually sold out the main hall in our local performing venue here on campus, which supposedly seats about 2500 or so, making it "large" (in their words) in comparison to a broadway theater. Last season for the theater, there were 9 shows that sold out. One of those was the SYTYCD tour, which wasn't even on the original advertising for the season (late announcement), and apparently sold out very quickly. (No idea if the fact that last year's female winner was from Detroit, and this was the closest stop, played into that or not). And it was a fairly pricey ticket as I recall (I don't remember what the pricing was, but it was one reason I didn't go myself, as I recall it was priced as high if not higher than the major broadway acts coming in).)
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #83
jay_man2
jay_man-also

I've yet to watch last week's show. In previous seasons that never happened.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #84
HIHZia
Mad Turk

Quote:
I was enjoying the show, and thinking that finally we were getting some good routines for a change, and then ...

... they brought out Control Freakz, the guest crew.

What just happened?

It's like somebody hit a 'clear everything and delete on my brain'. Like, did anybody else dance on the show?

Okay, I'm biased, because I really like the music -- La Valse D'amélie [Orchestra Version] from the soundtrack to Amélie -- but the choreography and performance was magnificent.

There's the long smooth sweeping lines of the music, and the sparkly staccato of the percussion, and the dancers, via their popping, were expressing both aspects of the music at the same time.

It was just superb, and the only thing I can say against it is that I wished it were longer. (The timing on my soundtrack CD says that track is just 2 minutes even.)

I ran it back immediately and I've watched it two times more.

Just breathtaking.

Here's the link to the official clip on the SYTYCD YouTube channel.

Huh, I had the opposite reaction. I didn't care for it at all and thought the performance looked amateurish and sloppy.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #85
ebockelman
PR#6

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have a really hard time with the camera work on this show.

You would have thought in this many seasons they could have a very simple rule in place: NEVER TAKE THE CAMERA OFF THE FEET OF A TAPPER OR EN POINTE BALLERINA!