TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
sekjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
As a DVR only?



Can I connect the TIVO Series2 to a cable box output (the output that goes to the TV) and just use it as a DVR? still using the cable service Guide etc, instead of TIVO's...
sekjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
wml1950
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 57
You cannot use the series 2 using the cable company's box unless there is paid service on the tivo itself. You can buy a series 2 with lifetime service for likely no more than $125.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,401
Yes, if your cable box has more than one output. You could connect the composite output of the cable box to the composite input of the S2 and the composite output of the S2 to the composite input of your TV. Then connect the HDMI output from the Cable box to the HDMI input of your TV.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
Since the OP hasn't specified how he intends to use his Tivo, I take it to mean that he wants to use the DVR function without the Tivo service. If that's the case, then you can't record anything on a series 2 without the Tivo service. You can do it with one of the older series 1 Tivos and probably with one of the DVD models with Tivo basic. I don't recall offhand, but using a series 1 Tivo in this manner might require that you install an older Tivo image on the drive for this to work.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I don't recall offhand, but using a series 1 Tivo in this manner might require that you install an older Tivo image on the drive for this to work.
No
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekjr View Post

Can I connect the TIVO Series2 to a cable box output (the output that goes to the TV) and just use it as a DVR? still using the cable service Guide etc, instead of TIVO's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Yes, if your cable box has more than one output. You could connect the composite output of the cable box to the composite input of the S2 and the composite output of the S2 to the composite input of your TV. Then connect the HDMI output from the Cable box to the HDMI input of your TV.
And how exactly is that going to use the cable service guide instead of Tivo's?
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
No
Check out the section under manual recording in this link for Series 1 Units:

http://www.dvrpedia.com/Using_a_TiVo...fetime_Service

This has always been my understanding of how you could use a Series 1 Tivo for manual recording without a subscription. Any OS version later than 1.3 did not allow for manual recording, unless you can show me otherwise. I seem to recall that I had to revert my old series 1 back to OS 1.3 to get this to work.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Check out the section under manual recording in this link for Series 1 Units:

http://www.dvrpedia.com/Using_a_TiVo...fetime_Service

This has always been my understanding of how you could use a Series 1 Tivo for manual recording without a subscription. Any OS version later than 1.3 did not allow for manual recording, unless you can show me otherwise. I seem to recall that I had to revert my old series 1 back to OS 1.3 to get this to work.
Read it again, that's not what it says.
Quote:
Series 1 TiVos that originally had Software Version 1.3 or below installed when initially purchased have Manual Recording capability. Most Series1 units fall into this category
It says any tivo that originally had v1.3. They stopped shipping units with v1.3 in October, 2001. That's why everyone always says that for a S1 to record w/o a sub it had to ship before October '01 because those units had v1.3 Most of the Sony units shipped after that date with newer software, which is why they have an issue with unsub'd recording.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
I believe there was an OS version later than 1.3 that was issued to all Tivos, but I won't swear to it. I seem to recall that I had to revert my HDR112 to 1.3 in order to get the manual record feature to work. I do know that you need version 1.3 or earlier to manually record without a subscription.

Go back and read it again yourself. It says that any S1 Tivo that originally had version 1.3 had the manual recording feature. However, this only applies to version 1.3 or earlier. You know that just because a Tivo shipped with a specific software version doesn't mean that it was the final version for that model, right? Every Tivo ever issued has had one or more software updates after being released into the marketplace.

According to dvrpedia.com, series 1 SA Tivos were provided with the following software versions:

1.x, release date 1999
2.0, release date spring 2001
2.5, release date fall 2001
3.0, release date 2002

If your S1 Tivo has version 2.0 or later installed it needs to be reverted back to version 1.3 or earlier to use the manual record feature.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 08-13-2014 at 07:50 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I believe there was an OS version later than 1.3 that was issued to all Tivos, but I won't swear to it. I seem to recall that I had to revert my HDR112 to 1.3 in order to get the manual record feature to work. I do know that you need version 1.3 or earlier to manually record without a subscription.

Go back and read it again yourself. It says that any S1 Tivo that originally had version 1.3 had the manual recording feature. However, this only applies to version 1.3 or earlier. You know that just because a Tivo shipped with a specific software version doesn't mean that it was the final version for that model, right? Every Tivo ever issued has had one or more software updates after being released into the marketplace.

According to dvrpedia.com, series 1 SA Tivos were provided with the following software versions:

1.x, release date 1999
2.0, release date spring 2001
2.5, release date fall 2001
3.0, release date 2002

If your S1 Tivo has version 2.0 or later installed it needs to be reverted back to version 1.3 or earlier to use the manual record feature.
My first Tivo experiences (just a few years ago) were with four S1 Philips boxes. Two with lifetime and two without. They all had 1.3 and none of them ever tried to do an update. Not sure if that is definitive proof. The models ranged from 112 to 612 (dual drive) which I think was the last version made.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
The point was that series 1 Tivos had software versions on them later than 1.3 that would not allow manual recording without a subscription or lifetime service. My suggestion to the OP was that he could do what he wanted if he had a series 1 with OS version 1.3 or older. If he acquired a S1 Tivo with a later OS he would have to install an older version to perform any manual recording.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
wml1950
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 57
The question was for a series 2 tivo, not a series one. Therefore, I do not believe that the Series 2 can be used without a paid subscription.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekjr View Post

Can I connect the TIVO Series2 to a cable box output (the output that goes to the TV) and just use it as a DVR? still using the cable service Guide etc, instead of TIVO's...
Yes, if the Series 2 Tivo has old enough software, then you could manually record rather than just selecting to record from the Tivo menu. ( I have some Series 2 TiVos in storage that will work this way. I don't use them as I have lifetimed and evaluationed TiVos. ) But the time will be off on the Tivo if it doesn't connect to the 'TiVo mother ship', and if you do connect the TiVo to the mother ship, recording will shut down except it if has lifetime service, or if you start paying a monthly fee. Also, it is against the policy of this website, and a violation of your agreement with TiVo to use the TiVo without a active subscription.

But I don't know why you would want to do that, as Lifetimed TiVos can be bought off of craigslist for less than $40 and get all the features of TiVo. Course that is assuming your TiVo will record whatever signal is coming off of the cable output, and you set up the IR cables so the TiVo can control the cable box.

Or if you live in the Denver area, you can come by my house and get a free evaluation type of lifetimed Series 2 TiVo for free. I won't ship it though.

Last edited by replaytv : 08-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The point was that series 1 Tivos had software versions on them later than 1.3 that would not allow manual recording without a subscription or lifetime service.
It is simply just not true that a Tivo has to currently have v1.3 or earlier to record w/o a sub.

There was one software update that removed the ability to record w/o a sub, but it was put back in with the next update. Any S1 that shipped with v1.3 can still record w/o a sub no matter which software version it currently has with the exception of the version I mentioned. They've had over a dozen years to update to 3.1 so there really are very few tivos out there that would have the version that omitted the feature and even those would still get the update to 3.1.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
I can't speak to later versions other than the one I had on my S1. I just know that it had to be switched back to OS 1.3 for manual recording to function. If it was re-enabled with a later update I have no firsthand knowledge of that. I'm only reporting what I experienced as well as what's posted elsewhere. If manual recording works with later updates then that's great. I'm just providing a caveat in case the OP wants to use a S1 for manual recording. Of course, since he asked about using a S2 Tivo the entire discussion may be moot as far as he's concerned.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond
 
stevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 24,799
TC CLUB MEMBER
The key is which version of the TiVo software was on the box when it left the factory. If it was 1.x, then it can record without a subscription, though you will likely have to call TiVo to get them to "set the flag" and have the box dial in once to pick that up. All Philips Series 1 qualify. Most but not all Sony SVR2000s qualify.

It's perfectly fine if the box updated to a later version (I think 3.x is as far as it goes for the Series 1)
__________________
Steve
stevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I can't speak to later versions other than the one I had on my S1.
I can and I did and you insisted I was wrong

Quote:
I just know that it had to be switched back to OS 1.3 for manual recording to function.
You wouldn't have had to revert to 1.3 if you had the one short lived version that didn't allow it. Any version between before 1.3 or between 1.3 and the offending version would have worked.

Quote:
If it was re-enabled with a later update I have no firsthand knowledge of that. I'm only reporting what I experienced as well as what's posted elsewhere.
When reporting your experience, don't report it as universal fact, especially after someone who is right, tells you that you're wrong. And that mis-information is not posted elsewhere without also being corrected.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
When reporting your experience, don't report it as universal fact, especially after someone who is right, tells you that you're wrong. And that mis-information is not posted elsewhere without also being corrected.
Just to be clear, I never said you were wrong except where I proved what you stated to be in error.

You implied back in post #8 that Tivos only had OS version 1.3. I showed where this was not the case and proved it with a link.

I also stated that Tivos with an OS version later than 1.3 might have to be reloaded with an older OS in order to allow manual recording. You have agreed that there was indeed a version that eliminated this feature so my statement was true in that regard.

To be fair, I did state that you would have to revert to an older OS if the Tivo had a later version installed, which I now know not to be true. There was no mis-information intended as this was true based on the facts as I knew them. What I didn't know was that later OS versions reinstated the manual record function.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 08-13-2014 at 02:59 PM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 4,022
Isn't this about the 30th time we have had the discussion on Series 1 TiVos, and the original poster doesn't even have a Series 1, he has a Series 2, so the whole discussion from his view is moot.

Course, it wouldn't be the first time we had a discussion over and over on the same point that didn't matter to the original poster one bit.

Is this like a tradition on tivocommunity that I shouldn't criticize or I will be drummed out?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Isn't this about the 30th time we have had the discussion on Series 1 TiVos, and the original poster doesn't even have a Series 1, he has a Series 2, so the whole discussion from his view is moot.

Course, it wouldn't be the first time we had a discussion over and over on the same point that didn't matter to the original poster one bit.

Is this like a tradition on tivocommunity that I shouldn't criticize or I will be drummed out?
Nah. I think you pretty much nailed it. I believe I indicated it was moot a while back. I injected the series 1 talk into the discussion as a viable alternative to what the OP was trying to do with his series 2. Considering you can probably pick up a S1 SA Tivo on Craig's List for next to nothing, it seemed like an economical solution. Unfortunately, the discussion regarding whether the S1 could perform manual recording based on the software version went a bit off the rails.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #21
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 958
And of course was the OP's first and only post, hasn't been on forum since.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #22
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
No reason for him to come back. He got the answer he was looking for in the first reply. The rest of the thread is just more typical BS between forum members once the question was answered.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Just to be clear, I never said you were wrong except where I proved what you stated to be in error.

You implied back in post #8 that Tivos only had OS version 1.3. I showed where this was not the case and proved it with a link.
Nothing I said was in error.
I never even remotely implied that tivos only had v1.3

Quote:
I also stated that Tivos with an OS version later than 1.3 might have to be reloaded with an older OS in order to allow manual recording.
You didn't say just an older version you said that v1.3 specifically may have to be put back on the Tivo and that isn't correct.

Quote:
You have agreed that there was indeed a version that eliminated this feature so my statement was true in that regard.
No it wasn't, for the reason I just gave and because any tivo still on that one version wouldn't need to be reverted at all when it could more easily be updated to v3.1

Quote:
To be fair, I did state that you would have to revert to an older OS if the Tivo had a later version installed, which I now know not to be true. There was no mis-information intended as this was true based on the facts as I knew them. What I didn't know was that later OS versions reinstated the manual record function.
Nobody said you intentionally gave mis-information but when you were told that what you said wasn't so, you did keep defending it despite it being wrong.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
heyted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
...a violation of your agreement with TiVo to use the TiVo without a active subscription.
What makes you think this with regard to manually setting automatic recordings with a Series 2 and above? I see nothing wrong with someone purchasing a used non-lifetime TiVo (at a garage sale for example) without paying for any type of TiVo service, never connecting it to a network, and using it to record if the software allows it. According to another user:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
On the question of theft of service, I expect TiVo has it arranged so that anything they don't want you to be able to do without a sub an unsubbed TiVo won't be able to do (or will refuse to do) about 30 to 45 days after the last successful connection which confirms that the account is in good standing.


If the software allows indefinite manual recording with no network connection, I see nothing wrong with using it this way.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,668
Absolutely. It it's enabled by the Tivo software then there's no theft of service or breach of any agreements.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #26
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Yes, if the Series 2 Tivo has old enough software, then you could manually record rather than just selecting to record from the Tivo menu. ( I have some Series 2 TiVos in storage that will work this way. I don't use them as I have lifetimed and evaluationed TiVos. ) But the time will be off on the Tivo if it doesn't connect to the 'TiVo mother ship', and if you do connect the TiVo to the mother ship, recording will shut down except it if has lifetime service, or if you start paying a monthly fee. Also, it is against the policy of this website, and a violation of your agreement with TiVo to use the TiVo without a active subscription.

But I don't know why you would want to do that, as Lifetimed TiVos can be bought off of craigslist for less than $40 and get all the features of TiVo. Course that is assuming your TiVo will record whatever signal is coming off of the cable output, and you set up the IR cables so the TiVo can control the cable box.

Or if you live in the Denver area, you can come by my house and get a free evaluation type of lifetimed Series 2 TiVo for free. I won't ship it though.
Just to be nitpicky, if you don't have a subscription on your TiVo, I don't think you have any sort of agreement with TiVo to violate.

There may be a way to violate the licensing terms of the TiVo software, but that's not exactly the same thing.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |