TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #151
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Oh, definitely, Deacon was proposing. But the ring he gave her seemed to have some significance. It didn't look like a typical engagement ring, so I was wondering if I missed a past reference to it?
It goes back to the very beginning of the season. Deacon at some point in the past proposed to Rayna with that ring. In episode 2 of this season, when Rayna encountered Deacon at the roadside "memorial" for them, Rayna handed the ring back to him. After she left, he tossed it on the memorial pile.

Apparently, given that he had it in this episode, at some point he must have changed his mind and gone back for it, but they didn't show that.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #152
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
It goes back to the very beginning of the season. Deacon at some point in the past proposed to Rayna with that ring. In episode 2 of this season, when Rayna encountered Deacon at the roadside "memorial" for them, Rayna handed the ring back to him. After she left, he tossed it on the memorial pile.

Apparently, given that he had it in this episode, at some point he must have changed his mind and gone back for it, but they didn't show that.
Thanks! I figured I was forgetting some back story on that ring.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #153
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
It goes back to the very beginning of the season. Deacon at some point in the past proposed to Rayna with that ring. In episode 2 of this season, when Rayna encountered Deacon at the roadside "memorial" for them, Rayna handed the ring back to him. After she left, he tossed it on the memorial pile.

Apparently, given that he had it in this episode, at some point he must have changed his mind and gone back for it, but they didn't show that.
How do the heck do you remember that?!!!
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #154
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
How do the heck do you remember that?!!!
I didn't. I actually saw someone discussing the ring in a reader comment on the TV Line episode recap, then did some Google searching to remind myself of the background.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #155
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,427
I had the whole first season of this show sitting on my DVR unwatched until just before season 2 started. Got caught up and now I'm hooked. I'm glad the Scarlett on pills storyline has hopefully wrapped up. Didn't like that.

I'm curious how they will keep Teddy as a major character going forward. Not sure I see much for him to do.

I think it was a little weird that Will married that girl and then had such a dramatic change of heart seemingly a few days later. I guess we can chalk that up to panic and the fact that this is a soap opera and can't look too closely at those sorts of things.

Glad to be rid of the lawyer lady. She was boring.

I think I am madly in love with Deacon, alcoholism and all.
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #156
DouglasPHill
Registered User
 
DouglasPHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Glad to be rid of the lawyer lady. She was boring.
I don't remember, did they kill her off or something?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #157
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I don't remember, did they kill her off or something?
Deacon kicked her to the door after he found out that she slept with Teddy while Deacon was on the road.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #158
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I think it was a little weird that Will married that girl and then had such a dramatic change of heart seemingly a few days later. I guess we can chalk that up to panic and the fact that this is a soap opera and can't look too closely at those sorts of things.
That's a real to life story line. There have been many gay men that have married women to conceal their homosexuality. He has obviously been conflicted about the situation for just about the whole show.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #159
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
That's a real to life story line. There have been many gay men that have married women to conceal their homosexuality. He has obviously been conflicted about the situation for just about the whole show.
Yep. Plus, he didn't mean to come out to the whole world. I think the guilt about Layla just overwhelmed him and he confessed to her, hoping she would keep up the charade. Of course, the hidden reality show camera caught the whole thing, so he just came out whether he wanted to or not.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #160
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I had the whole first season of this show sitting on my DVR unwatched until just before season 2 started. Got caught up and now I'm hooked. I'm glad the Scarlett on pills storyline has hopefully wrapped up. Didn't like that.

I'm curious how they will keep Teddy as a major character going forward. Not sure I see much for him to do.

I think it was a little weird that Will married that girl and then had such a dramatic change of heart seemingly a few days later. I guess we can chalk that up to panic and the fact that this is a soap opera and can't look too closely at those sorts of things.

Glad to be rid of the lawyer lady. She was boring.

I think I am madly in love with Deacon, alcoholism and all.
Teddy is the Mayor and Daphne's Dad, so he'll continue to be around. If they were following true soap opera style, he'd start dating Rayna's sister.

Agree, glad lawyer lady is gone.

I like Deacon, but I think Luke is much hotter!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #161
stellie93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I like Deacon, but I think Luke is much hotter!
No way, Deacon is way hotter than Luke.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #162
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
No way, Deacon is way hotter than Luke.
As a guy, I have to agree. I'm not sure my vote counts.

I think Deacon and Rayna have chemistry. (much like Ted and Robin in HIMYM. So maybe Rayna will marry Luke and then he will die. )
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #163
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 20,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post

Yep. Plus, he didn't mean to come out to the whole world. I think the guilt about Layla just overwhelmed him and he confessed to her, hoping she would keep up the charade. Of course, the hidden reality show camera caught the whole thing, so he just came out whether he wanted to or not.
I thought the timing was because he just slept with the trainer. It was the first time he cheated on their "marriage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post

I like Deacon, but I think Luke is much hotter!
You have never been more wrong. Team Deacon!
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #164
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,437
I think it's a physical attraction on why I think Luke is hotter. I have always gravitated toward the tall,lanky guys. And Luke trips my trigger. I'm perfectly happy leaving Deacon for ya'll. Give me Luke!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #165
Howie
Out of Pocket
 
Howie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 8,830
I'd cuddle with Deacon.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #166
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I thought the timing was because he just slept with the trainer. It was the first time he cheated on their "marriage".
I didn't think he had his first "private" session yet. Don't tell me I missed it.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #167
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,427
I don't think the trainer thing happened yet. Teddy and Rayna's sister....that's interesting. I think the sister is boring, though. How about the sister and Jeff Fordham? That would complicate things.

I thought Luke was going to die when he blew up in Afghanistan. But then he lived, darn it.
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #168
Philosofy
Super Duper Member
 
Philosofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Crown Point, IN USA
Posts: 6,220
One thing that bothers me is the personality change in Layla. At the beginning, she was a Yale educated conniving, calculating, cunning, ruthless bitch. Now she's just some doe eyed girl in love with Will.
__________________
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
Philosofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #169
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
One thing that bothers me is the personality change in Layla. At the beginning, she was a Yale educated conniving, calculating, cunning, ruthless bitch. Now she's just some doe eyed girl in love with Will.
Not so fast...we haven't seen her reaction to Will's confession yet.
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #170
grey ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
No way, Deacon is way hotter than Luke.
I second that emotion. I can't stand Luke. Deacon is the one I'd take home every time
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #171
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
One thing that bothers me is the personality change in Layla. At the beginning, she was a Yale educated conniving, calculating, cunning, ruthless bitch. Now she's just some doe eyed girl in love with Will.
Either way we don't like her, right?

I think the doe eyed girl is her calculating what's best for her.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #172
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 20,366
I do feel like her character has gotten more "innocent". She started out conniving bitch with innocent routine, but now we're not seeing that side anymore. I don't feel like she's acting around the clock, it's like the writers forgot.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #173
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I do feel like her character has gotten more "innocent". She started out conniving bitch with innocent routine, but now we're not seeing that side anymore. I don't feel like she's acting around the clock, it's like the writers forgot.
I'm not sure that the writers forgot. When Edgehill dropped her contract, it kind of took all of the air out of her sails. Before that, she had been running believing that she was or at least could be "the next big thing," the heir apparent to Juliette's role in the industry. When she was unceremoniously dropped, that forced her to really drop a lot of that conniving bitch act. You'll recall the episode where she tried and failed to write a song, leading to the sobering realization that she didn't have anything substantial to say.

After she was dropped, the only part of her character that we've seen is her relationship with Will, which I think was genuine from her part. That affects how she's been portrayed on the show.

I think we'll see some of the claws come out next season though once Will's secret comes out. She's been hurt, and I think she's going to come out of it fighting.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #174
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
... the only part of her character that we've seen is her relationship with Will, which I think was genuine from her part.
Really? I saw that whole thing as just to get more publicity for her and help her career. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not saying she doesn't care for him, but in love with him to get married?

Wasn't she the one the pushed really hard to get them onto the reality show?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #175
DouglasPHill
Registered User
 
DouglasPHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I second that emotion. I can't stand Luke. Deacon is the one I'd take home every time
I keep thinking that there is more to Luke than meets the eye. He just seems to be up to something. Are he and record exec up to something?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #176
stellie93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,280
Yeah, I get a bad vibe from Luke--I'd just about decided that I was wrong. He's as big a star as Rayna, right? So he doesn't need to marry her for his career. I don't know what it is.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #177
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I don't know what it is.
Perhaps just that it seems a bit forced. Luke seems a bit wooden to me. He hasn't convinced me he is in love with Rayna.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #178
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 20,366
It feels like they just got together two weeks ago. Not nearly enough time between her getting divorced and engaged.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #179
hummingbird_206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,437
I think Luke rushed the proposal because he is jealous of Deacon. He is just as big (or bigger) of a star as Rayna, so don't think he has any career ulterior motives. He was unhappy that Rayna didn't tell him that Deacon is Maddie's father. And he always acts jealous when Deacon is around, even though it is to be with his daughter, not with Rayna.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #180
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It feels like they just got together two weeks ago. Not nearly enough time between her getting divorced and engaged.
Seems like everything happened on this show quicker than it needed to. I commented on this during season 1.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |