TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
cstelter

Psych: The Musical OAD 12/15/2013 (spoiler free first post only)

Figured I'd find a thread on this... maybe Psych is too long in the tooth these days. I only started watching 1.5 years ago via netflix, so I guess it still seems a bit fresh to me.

Anyway, I wasn't out looking for this episode, my DVR just picked it up. If you missed it, it is probably on USA's website and will be rebroadcast nest Sunday it looks like.

I know I saw a comic con panel on you tube some time ago and they were talking about a musical, so it seems they finally followed through.

I promised spoiler free in the first post so that's all I'll comment about for this post...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
cstelter

As for the episode... I didn't dislike it but it seems like they could have given it more 'wow'. I did enjoy that they brought yang back and the actual mystery wasn't bad at all.

I really couldn't recall the whole Yang plot as that was only one ep in each of the first 3 seasons-- I thought she was not the main villain and couldn't remember what happened to the actual villain so at first I thought this Z was that main bad guy so I was a bit confused during most of the ep.

It seemed to me that every musical number was the exact same melody with new lyrics. I did like the instructional song about how to put anything to music, though and the background dancing and somewhat awkward choreography was amusing. I know Gus and Shawn have done a number of a capella numbers with quartets and thought they sounded good. I guess I was maybe expecting more harmonizing and more singing in parallel than we got (ala Les Mis or what not).
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

For me, it REALLY dragged. I think they should have chopped at least a half hour out of this. As it was, it just felt incredibly bloated.

Also, for a musical, I expected, you know, more music. For instance, Anthony Rapp (the "villain") was woefuly underused in this... and then, unless I'm mistaken, they didn't even have Barry Bostwick sing at all?

Of the three shows that I have seen that have done musical episodes ("Buffy," "Scrubs," and this), this was the worst of the batch.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I like the show but detest musical episodes like this. Canceled the recording before it could infect my hard drive.

Jazz hands!!!!!

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.

I got about two thirds in before falling asleep.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Amnesia
The Question

My biggest problem with this was that it didn't fit into the continuity of the series. Juliet didn't know Shawn is a fraud, Chief Vick was still there, etc. I don't see why that happened. Did they plan this for a year ago, but post-production took significantly longer than they expected?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
My biggest problem with this was that it didn't fit into the continuity of the series. Juliet didn't know Shawn is a fraud, Chief Vick was still there, etc. I don't see why that happened. Did they plan this for a year ago, but post-production took significantly longer than they expected?
Apparently the episode has been in the can, complete, for quite a while.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I like the show but detest musical episodes like this. Canceled the recording before it could infect my hard drive.

Jazz hands!!!!!
+1

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Jazz hands!!!!!
Re-reading my post, I just realized that it is a threadcrap (for just this episode, but still...).

For that I apologize.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Is Psych done as a show? I know the girl is on that show with James Caan, even though that has been cancelled.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

One last season.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

There were a few moments where they used the "musical" thing to good effect -- most notably Corbin Bernsen's part at the beginning, and McNair getting stopped twice. But by and large, they really wasted it. It was just an episode thinned out (there was a lot less detecting going on), stretched out (sure took a long time to get to it), and then with music stuck in for no good reason.

Sean usually gets it wrong a couple of times before the end of each episode, but, man, was he on a long streak of being wrong over and over. It was getting embarrassing.

I do have to admit I was surprised at how well most of them pulled off the song and dance. Lassiter in particular had a really impressive voice (though Juliet was straining). I kept thinking some characters were avoiding singing because the actor couldn't do it, then being surprised when they could.

All in all, kind of disappointing. I might have liked it more if I liked musicals, I suppose. The ME's song, and Yang's song after death, were especially egregious. Desperately in need of being cut.