TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #121
mattack

Yes, I still see 5900 RPM drives at Fry's and bestbuy (though bestbuy only through "marketplace", which I think means external sellers).

I have been looking the past few days, as I said I have a GC that's about to expire..

I think I may decide to be lazy and just get the 3 TB drive that has a 3 year warranty. I admit, I think I *once* made use of a drive warranty... but I'd still rather have it than not, and it's very close to the same price as ones that have a lower warranty. (Except for my treadmill, which has totally paid for itself, I'm one who's usually VERY against paying more for a higher warranty.)

PH3300U-1I72 It's 7200 RPM. Maybe I'll change my mind by tomorrow, I'm not sure. They're a couple bucks cheaper at Amazon, so may have to end up getting them to price match. (The drives I've been looking at are NOT available at my local stores..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #122
mattack

There's the ST4000DM000 and the STBD4000400. The latter shows 2 year warranty, and is (at BB's price) only $2 more than the former. But the former is $14 less at Amazon.. and that's the one that shows no warranty info.. Weird.

So I may just not bother and just get the 3 TB one.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #123
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does Seagate still sell the 5900 rpm drives? I have a bunch of them in my unRAID setups. They used to label them Green drives. The specs were a little better than the other green drives since the rpms were faster than the 5400rpm drives from others.
Yes. AnandTech has done a great many recent reviews and comparisons between different mfg drives, and that extra 500RPM does give Seagate a slight edge in performance, while giving a slight edge to other drives that run at 5400RPM, in operating power requirements (plus the difference in the additional draw to get those at 5900RPM to speed at spinup time).

I have made a mistake in saying "WD Intellipower=5400RPM", in the past. While it is true, Intellipower also means current-limited, staged, spinup. Not all 5400RPM drives stage/limit the spinup current, which can be the line between the drive spinning up, or not, in some TiVos, especially the base Roamio.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #124
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

To be fair, to telemark, the creator and OP of this thread, who likely has notifications turned on for new posts here, regarding his contribution of a free 4TB upgrade path: I think we may be being rude by delving into matters not directly related to "4TB Roamio Image community edition", as the thread is titled.

As much as I like to discuss hard drives, I feel most of the recent discussion belongs elsewhere, if only to prevent diluting the topic the thread was created for.

Any 4TB drive (with the same, or greater, LBA count of common 4TB drives) can be imaged with his contribution. Beyond that, things have drifted to discussion more about what 4TB drive one might want to use, with hopes of functionality, reliability, and longevity, once prepared and installed in a TiVo Roamio.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #125
telemark

Just got back from vacation. Thanks everyone for filling in.

I don't personally mind the semi-topical technical conversation, but some of the noob's might get lost in the thread if it gets long/goes certain directions. Do whichever you think it's best for them, assuming this a user support thread.

For 6TB or greater support, as jmbach was saying, if/once the Mega's OS changes gets pushed out to Roamio, we should be able to break another barrier. It might not have been strictly necessary for 6TB but does simplify housekeeping and how complex the resulting tool's codebase would be.

One thing useful would be getting to play with (disassemble) someone's Mega, which I assume is only out for reviewers?

Last edited by telemark : 09-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #126
jsquared222

The dumb questions start now

I was foolish enough to think that a 4TB roamio drive was in my future but now I'm not so sure. Here's what I've down so far:

1. Booted Roamio with new 4TB drive in order get a signature

2. Downloaded the knoppix 7.4.0 DVD image and burned to disc.

3. Connected 4TB drive via sata cable to PC and booted from knoppix DVD

The net result was the Knoppix GUI and me not knowing what to do next. If anyone is patient enough to provide some guidance, I would certainly appreciate it.

Back in the series 2 days, I could squeak by with mfs tools but this appears to be a different beast.
jsquared222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #127
emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared222 View Post
I was foolish enough to think that a 4TB roamio drive was in my future but now I'm not so sure. Here's what I've down so far:

1. Booted Roamio with new 4TB drive in order get a signature

2. Downloaded the knoppix 7.4.0 DVD image and burned to disc.

3. Connected 4TB drive via sata cable to PC and booted from knoppix DVD

The net result was the Knoppix GUI and me not knowing what to do next. If anyone is patient enough to provide some guidance, I would certainly appreciate it.

Back in the series 2 days, I could squeak by with mfs tools but this appears to be a different beast.
Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a root prompt and run the commands as instructed in the first post of this thread.

At the root prompt first run:

wget "http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxA/autoinstall.pl"

After it finishes:

chmod +x autoinstall.pl

And then:

./autoinstall.pl

And then sit back and let it finish.

telemark has made it so easy a caveman could do it.

Last edited by emerz : 09-30-2014 at 06:31 AM.
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #128
telemark

Don't Panic.

You're right the directions had glossed over how to get to a prompt.
They've now been amended.

emerz directions sound good too, but might give a different type of window?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #129
jsquared222

Thank-you emerz and telemark for the responses. I'll give it another try tonight. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #130
jsquared222

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz View Post
Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a root prompt and run the commands as instructed in the first post of this thread.

At the root prompt first run:

wget "http://tiny.cc/c6r5gxA/autoinstall.pl"

After it finishes:

chmod +x autoinstall.pl

And then:

./autoinstall.pl

And then sit back and let it finish.

telemark has made it so easy a caveman could do it.
I guess I'm now a caveman. Thank you emerz for your additional help. It did the trick. Thank you telemark for putting this together and sharing. I'm now sitting on 637 hrs of HD capacity.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #131
aaronwt
HD Addict

Now I wish I had picked up one of the 4TB drives that Newegg had on sale recently for $130. But I guess I can wait since the new TV season just started. I guess my next window of opportunity will be closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #132
KenVa

Any update yet on if it is possible to do this with larger drives like 5 or 6 TB?

I record too much and am not good at deleting things I won't get to.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #133
bradleys
It'll be fine....

A lot of pages to read through - but from the refreshed first post, I gather there is still no simple process to upgrade using a Windows computer? Linux and MAC have been built out and still waiting on "compatible cloning software"?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #134
telemark

feature requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenVa View Post
Any update yet on if it is possible to do this with larger drives like 5 or 6 TB?

I record too much and am not good at deleting things I won't get to.
I'm curious if you (or anyone) has filled up a 4TB already.

Not complaining, but the truth is I'm hesitant to buy a 6TB drive to start this because the 4TB project ran $450 in hardware costs that hasn't been recovered yet, and the 6TB drives cost more but the user base is likely smaller.

So I need to rethink this for the future, but I'll do whatever is the fairest in the end though..

But I'll make an public offer to get this going. The first 1-2 persons to contribute the cost of a (5TB or 6TB) drive+shipping, I'll buy a drive locally and take a crack at this. If it looks like it'll work and after it passes testing, I'll have it shipped to you. If it doesn't work out, I'll return the drive to the store and return the amount paid to the donor.

A basic 6TB wd green drive is $255, no sales tax, shipping should be $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
A lot of pages to read through - but from the refreshed first post, I gather there is still no simple process to upgrade using a Windows computer? Linux and MAC have been built out and still waiting on "compatible cloning software"?
So nobody volunteered to write a smart Windows cloner. I'm not much of a Windows programmer.

You can use an off the shelf Windows cloner, but it would take, I'm guessing, 8 hours to a whole night to finish. It takes however long your computer takes to write 4TB.

There's a couple a ways I could add Windows support, but nobody spoke up that it was really necessary. I heard the opposite, that people were afraid to try the Linux installer, but it was easy once they tried.

Anyone feel free to correct me or add an opinion on this, that I should add a native Windows client as an important feature.

Last edited by telemark : 10-21-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #135
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Dang, Telmark! That is a great offer for someone!

I might just consider it - even though I think 6TB is a little over the top...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #136
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
So nobody volunteered to write a smart Windows cloner. I'm not a Windows programmer.

You can use an off the shelf Windows cloner, but it would take, I'm guessing, 8 hours to a whole night to finish. It takes however long your computer takes to write 4TB.

There's a couple a ways I could add Windows support, but nobody spoke up that it was really necessary. I heard the opposite, that people were afraid to try the Linux installer, but it was easy once they tried.

Anyone feel free to correct me or add an opinion on this, that I should add a native Windows client as an important feature.
Can I just use a Linux boot disk to command prompt and follow the Linux instructions? If yes, then I see no need for direct windows support.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #137
telemark

Yes and yes. Most people have used the Knoppix live image.
Any linux live cd with curl and perl and dd should work though.
I'm guessing perl is the rarest one of those three.

I'll add more tested iso's some day and make my own some other day.

Last edited by telemark : 10-21-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #138
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Yes and yes. Most people have used the Knoppix live image.
Any linux live cd with curl and perl and dd should work though.
I'm guessing perl is the rarest one of those three.

I'll add more tested iso's some day and make my own some other day.
Great, thanks!

Just so I get this correct:

1) Take a Virgin 4TB drive, put it in the TiVo and allow it to fully boot up. This will place a TiVo signature on the drive.
2) Create a bootable Knoppix CD / USB drive.
3) boot to Linux command prompt
4) Follow the remaining PC Side instructions on page 1

Will Knoppix provide connections for internet support, or should I bring the autoinstall down locally to the USB boot drive?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 10-21-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #139
telemark

I'm sure you would realize this but...

My Step 1, was connect Hard Drive to PC.
So your Step 3 is redundant and out of place.
Just skip your #3 and go to your #4 / my #1.

The Knoppix CD's auto-initialize networking so as long as you use DHCP on your network, you won't have to do anything else.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #140
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Telmark, I think you give me too much credit...

That said, I am following you.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #141
pwlcheng

Now I have a 4 TB drive in my Roamio, few years down the road when I need to retire this 4 TB drive. Can I make a copy to a new 4 TB drive and keep all the movies?
pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #142
jmbach

Yes, as long as the drive has no errors on it when you copy it.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #143
pwlcheng

Thanks for your reply, jmbach. May I ask which program should I use and how to copy a 4 TB drive and preserve all the recordings?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #144
telemark

Because the two drives are the same size, you can use anything that does sector level, sometimes called byte or bit level cloning.

The sector-to-sector column has to be green in this chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...oning_software

I think all the Tivo cloners also support this mode but you have to select it.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #145
pwlcheng

Thanks telemark !
Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #146
KenVa

Quote:
I'm curious if you (or anyone) has filled up a 4TB already.
My 4TB drive is 88% full plus I have several movies and other shows that I copied to my computer before I had a 4 TB drive. I'm sure if I put it all back it would fill it.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote