TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question is this how you get the $99 lifetime offer?

About a year ago, I got the $99 lifetime offer for a Series 2 DT Tivo. I thnk it was shortly after I got a Premiere 2-tuner unit. I have since sold it (for much more too), but recently got a hold of a Series 3 (OLED) and I have read here of people getting the $99 lifetime offer for these units too.

From what I remember reading, I think you had to buy one of the newer Tivos in order to be offered the $99 lifetime on an older series 3 too, correct? I'm looking to possibly get a Premiere 4 in May (when my current Premiere subscription is up). Is it likely they could offer me the $99 option for this older Series 3 box as well? I haven't started service at all on this Series 3 under my account. Do I need to first establish a few months of service before they would offer it. Or how else does it work?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
billbillw

From what I've experienced, you've got it correct. For each Premiere you purchase, Tivo will give you a $99 offer for older S3 boxes. I've done it twice now. Probably need to have the S3 on your account before you can get the offer though. Also, don't be afraid to ask for the deal. They might not offer it, but if you ask, they will give it to you.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I has worked differently

Last June (2012) I got $99 lifetime by just threatening to go to a cable co DVR. I have just one TiVo HD and had been paying annually ($129) for three years.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Worf

Wonder what it would take for an S2 DT TiVo I'm still paying monthly for - would I have to get a new TiVo or should I just call and threaten to cancel? That TiVo hasn't been hooked up in months so it's not a huge loss...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
From what I've experienced, you've got it correct. For each Premiere you purchase, Tivo will give you a $99 offer for older S3 boxes. I've done it twice now. Probably need to have the S3 on your account before you can get the offer though. Also, don't be afraid to ask for the deal. They might not offer it, but if you ask, they will give it to you.
OK, I actually got another TiVo Premiere (lifetimed) shortly after the first one (that helped get the $99 S2 lifetime). Since I essentially have two Premieres and have gotten only one $99 lifetime offer, I wonder if I could then simply threaten to cancel this monthly Premiere that is gonna be up for renewal in May.

Maybe put this Series 3 in question on my account sometime in March (simply on a monthly rate) and then try to cancel both in May. In turn, they would hopefully offer me $99 lifetime on the Series 3 if I also renew & keep the monthly Premiere. Just a thought.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Wonder what it would take for an S2 DT TiVo I'm still paying monthly for - would I have to get a new TiVo or should I just call and threaten to cancel? That TiVo hasn't been hooked up in months so it's not a huge loss...
I had an S2DT and bought an S3 (with original drive) from Amazon for $129 (used). I went online to activate and the price was $399 for LT. I called TiVo and the CSR sold me LT for $99. I retired the S2DT and it's in my basement and with the saving bought a 1TB DVR expander.
Looking back I should have bought an internal 2TB drive and put the original drive on the shelf, oh well.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
OK, I actually got another TiVo Premiere (lifetimed) shortly after the first one (that helped get the $99 S2 lifetime). Since I essentially have two Premieres and have gotten only one $99 lifetime offer, I wonder if I could then simply threaten to cancel this monthly Premiere that is gonna be up for renewal in May.

Maybe put this Series 3 in question on my account sometime in March (simply on a monthly rate) and then try to cancel both in May. In turn, they would hopefully offer me $99 lifetime on the Series 3 if I also renew & keep the monthly Premiere. Just a thought.
In my experience, if you sign up the S3 and call up to cancel the S3 before your first month is over, during the discussion with the CSR in which you indicate that you don't really need the third tivo and the associated expense, you can ask for $99 lifetime on the S3. They will apply the monthly fee already incurred towards the $99 and you can subsequently cancel the month to month premiere if you wish.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
worachj

I got the $99 lifetime on a S3 after buying a new premiere with lifetime. I asked if I could get a $99 lifetime on a second TiVo HD and was denied.
Called days later to cancel the month to month subscription on the same TiVo HD and was given the $99 lifetime without asking for it.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
smc03

hmmm, i need to try this. tired of paying the monthly fee on 3 tivos.
smc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Nargg

Keep in mind folks that TiVo pays royalties to media rights holders in order to allow us to record the shows. (That's the biggest reason for the fee.) So forcing "specials" only hurts TiVo in the long run, and their ability to make better boxes and software for older boxes. Just something to think about...
Nargg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
P42

Nargg, first I heard of this, and wouldn't we have being paying this royalty with VHS? Can you provide a citation for this?

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
Keep in mind folks that TiVo pays royalties to media rights holders in order to allow us to record the shows.
Not true. Time-shifting of programming by a consumer has been fair use since 1984. Why would a manufacturer of a time-shifting device have to pay for its consumers exercising their right to fair use?

Last edited by DaveDFW : 02-14-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Correction.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Worf

The fee pays for TiVo development and a bit goes for the licensing and development of the guide listings - Tribune has to gather the data and convert it to a standard format and reconcile the various ways a station can send the data to Tribune.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
Keep in mind folks that TiVo pays royalties to media rights holders in order to allow us to record the shows. (That's the biggest reason for the fee.) So forcing "specials" only hurts TiVo in the long run, and their ability to make better boxes and software for older boxes. Just something to think about...
Um, no.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
gamerguy-n-TX

The last PLS offer I got was just a few weeks ago. It was $49 for my inactive S2 DT. I canceled it in April 2011. I have no other TiVOs at the moment.

My Comcast cable went to all digital within the past year and the S2 is basically a single tuner now although I'm still eligible for an additional free DTA from them.
gamerguy-n-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Gowan

Hmm, I'm wondering if I can get the offer.

I currently have four TiVos. Two are old S2 DT units that won't work with my cable system anymore and I need to retire them. I also have an HD and a Premiere XL. I recently purchased a used Premiere XL that appears not to have had service for about a year.

I picked up a CableCard the other day for the new XL and need to call to get service.

Will the offer me Lifetime on the old HD box maybe?

Worth a shot to ask, I guess.

Update: 2/16/13: Spoke to TiVo. Deactivated the two old boxes. Activated the new one. Asked about $99 lifetime and was told that promotion ended in January. Personable contact, I think he would have offered it to me if he could have.

Last edited by Gowan : 02-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote