TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Twittledee

Question TiVo Verses Cable ????

I have not purchased my TiVo box yet, I'm trying to find out what I would get with TiVo verses what I get with cable besides the higher cost of cable. Due to the ecomomy we are trying to make changes where needed and unfortunatley cable is so high its crazy. Can anyone out there tell me what the goods and bads of TiVo are?? Does TiVo have Lifetime channels and FX and Fox News AMC and not to mention all the other HD Cable channels that I cant even remember? Also would we need to purchase a HD Antenna?
Thank you for any input you might have on any of these areas?
Twittledee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
atmuscarella

TiVo isn't an Internet or cable TV service provider it is a DVR (digital video recorder) with some support for Internet streaming services (Netflix, Hulu+ etc which you have to pay for separately). The HD dual tuner models also have over the air (OTA) TV support so with the appropriate antenna for your area you can pickup the free OTA broadcast channels in your area like a TV can.

If you want "cable only" TV channels you have to purchase them from a cable/satellite TV provider. If you want access to the Internet you have to purchase that from a Internet provider.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
mattack

After that correction, TiVo *CAN* be cheaper than your cable company's DVR, if you include ALL of the costs -- DVR + possible separate remote fee + any additional DVR service fee.

For the actual UI / recording your shows, obviously this place is biased since it's full of people who like Tivo.. But basically, it "just works". (There are lots of things I personally wish Tivo would do that it doesn't, but what it DOES do is already more than other DVRs have been able to do for a decade..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twittledee View Post
Does TiVo have Lifetime channels and FX and Fox News AMC and not to mention all the other HD Cable channels that I cant even remember?
Depends on what your cable/TV provider offers.

Quote:
Also would we need to purchase a HD Antenna?
If you want to record OTA (over the air) HD programming, yes. I don't as I'm using Comcast so I don't have one. Some people that use Tivo with a TV provider also use an HD antenna as they find OTA HD to be less compressed and to have better picture quality. It really depends on your situation and what you're looking to accomplish.

Quote:
Can anyone out there tell me what the goods and bads of TiVo are??
There's a bit of preference involved in that assessment. "Good" and "bad" are always highly subjective regardless of topic and you can't just assume that your notion of any subjective word is universally accepted by others.

It seems that there was a larger gap between what cable co provided DVR's offered and what Tivo offered but the gap seems to be closing -- depending on the specific cable provider and what DVR solution they offer. The last time I tried a DVR from Comcast in my area it had a horrible user interface. It would really help if you'd specify your cable provider and where you're located if you want some feedback in this regard. Otherwise, you'd need to compare the options for yourself and decide based on your preferences and priorities.

We can help you to compare features and pricing and such but it's really up to you to determine what's good, what's bad, what's a pro and what's a con. If everyone had the same notion of these things then we'd all be using the same solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
There are lots of things I personally wish Tivo would do that it doesn't
I obviously prefer Tivo but I agree with this statement.

Last edited by takeshi : 11-16-2012 at 08:30 AM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote