TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
radtechy

Is it the cable card or the tuning adapter?

I was trying to setup a new premier i ordered from TiVo's Black Friday sale....

Downloaded the software for new TiVo all done

This was going to replace my TiVo HD that was working fine (was going to my kids room)

So I took off the TiVo HD set it aside.
Connected the new premier with a new tuning adapter, and new cable card and it won't work. Reports and unplugging a done multiple signals sent from cablevision to the TA and CC.

Called TiVo they said if I'm stuck at the acquiring channel info screen with 75% its the CC

So called Cable to pair my good cable card for the premier using the new and old tuning adapter NO GOOD

Tried to put the known working cable card back to the TiVo HD with the old tuning adapter like I had before I even messed with the new stuff and guess what....the old setup I had wont work after working flawlessly for over a year.

I haven't had many hiccups over the years with TiVo and now I spent over 3 hrs futzing with this and now can't even get the stuff that worked back to the way it was

BTW I have another premier downstairs which is fine it wasn't near or touched at all during this whole process

Please help......my cable company is clueless

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
radtechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtechy View Post
Tried to put the known working cable card back to the TiVo HD with the old tuning adapter like I had before I even messed with the new stuff and guess what....the old setup I had wont work after working flawlessly for over a year.
That CableCARD is now probably paired with your new Premiere in the cable company's system which is why it's working anymore. You'll need to call them and have them re-pair the card with old TiVo.

IIRC, the tuning adapter isn't "paired" with a device like a CableCARD is, it's just associated with your account. It's been a while since I had my TA installed, but I'm pretty sure I've moved it from the original box it was connected to without a problem.

Maybe try having your cable company pair the card to your new TiVo without the TA attached and then once that's working, try attaching the TA and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
IIRC, the tuning adapter isn't "paired" with a device like a CableCARD is, it's just associated with your account.
I don't think even that is required. I believe the association with the account is only for accounting and perhaps billing purposes. The TA is "associated" with the TiVo and the CableCard by the fact it is plugged in to the TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
radtechy

Here is the problem now....they can't pair a total of 6 cards between the TiVo HD that I had working and the new premier I just got.

The issue is either on their end or when I'm getting the cards from the walk in cable store they are doing something wrong when they scan them before handing them to me.

When I call as soon as I read them the serial number which is all letters on the NDS card they say in a matter of seconds they can't do it.

I was always told to use the cable card ID and I was having some reps asking for that and some asking for the letters.

When I question what they ask one to the other or what tivo says they get offended.

They said last night that the cards the techs have come from I different source so maybe the guy who handles loading their vans is a pro at this is as opposed to the walk in clerks.

My biggest fear is that their system is corrupt and won't allow pairing of any cards no matter what.

Any ideas? Anyone know cablevision techs on Long Island, NY

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

They should only need the CableCARD ID from the card, and the Host ID from your TiVo to do the pairing. Sounds like you're getting some support reps who don't understand the process.

On the CableCARD diagnostics screen on your TiVo, there are a series of black-and-white screens that are shown by the CableCARD. On one of those there is usually a message about the card needing activation along with a number to call. In the past, I've called that number instead of the normal main Brighthouse Customer Service number and had better results with pairing requests. Not sure if that will work for Cablevision but it might be worth a shot.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
radtechy

Been there done that. I'm getting the run around

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
The issue is either on their end or when I'm getting the cards from the walk in cable store they are doing something wrong when they scan them before handing them to me.
What they do when they hand you the cards should not matter, at least not to the CableCards or the TiVo.

Quote:
When I call as soon as I read them the serial number which is all letters on the NDS card they say in a matter of seconds they can't do it.
No. The CableCard ID should be something like 0-011-459-208-887. You will find it in the CableCard diagnostics menu.

Quote:
I was always told to use the cable card ID and I was having some reps asking for that and some asking for the letters.
Read it from the TiVo. It will always have the correct info.

Quote:
When I question what they ask one to the other or what tivo says they get offended.
Take their names (write them down) and employee IDs, and demand to speak to a supervisor. After getting his name and employee ID, read him the riot act, and tell him - sincerely - you will be sending a letter to senior management one way or the other. Make it clear the tone of the letter will depend on how quickly your issue is resolved. Afterwards, do so, detailing exactly how much or how little help each person was, and their attitudes.

Quote:
They said last night that the cards the techs have come from I different source so maybe the guy who handles loading their vans is a pro at this is as opposed to the walk in clerks.
That will not really matter, although they will probably have direct access to support staff who know what they are doing.

Quote:
My biggest fear is that their system is corrupt and won't allow pairing of any cards no matter what.
If that were the case, then none of their own STBs or DVRs would work.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
radtechy

The cable cards that their STB's use use the credit card thing with the little gold chip that's different from a cable card; isn't it?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
lrhorer

Nope. First of all I doubt their STBs or DVRs use a CableCard that is in any way different than the one in your TiVo, but even if the form factor is different, the CableCard interface itself is set by CableLabs specifications, and the CATV companies are required by federal law to stick to it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
radtechy

Tech came today took over 3 hrs but I'm up and running. He had TiVo himself at home and that was a huge plus.

He was cool but even when he calls the call center he had issues took 3 calls to get both working one worked and they didnt wanna wait on hold with him while the second TiVo rebooted and the second call was a moron and he gave up and the final call got the second one going.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Did he state what/where the problem actually was?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote