TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
It seems to me that tivo should of let all the cable companies know that they were coming out with a 6 tuner tivo dvr so that that the cable companies would of been ready to support the 6 tuners from the start.
You are assuming that they sprung this on then like a surprise. That is rather unlikely.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
It seems to me that tivo should of let all the cable companies know that they were coming out with a 6 tuner tivo dvr so that that the cable companies would of been ready to support the 6 tuners from the start.
I'm sure all the cable companies were told long ago - most of them even have legal requirements to support 6 tuners, and legal issues always get attention. But until the device gets out there, the individual cable franchises don't have any idea whether their equipment works with it, or what changes need to be made. Most of what we're talking about here are bugs in cablecard firmware, not intentional design issues.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
kbmb

Quote:
Let's be honest....that LAST thing any Cable Co wants to do is deal with Cablecards. Most don't even know what they are....and it's the sales reps jobs to push their own DVRs from 1997!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
kemajor

I have Cox in Wichita KS. I also have a Roamio Pro. I kept getting an on screen message that the tuning adapter did not support 6 tuners. Sure enough I couldn't get 6 tuners working. Called Cox and worked with a pretty knowledgable guy. He knew all about Tivos, Cable cards, tuning adapters, etc. eventually we just removed the tuning adapter (MTR700) and then all 6 tuners worked. I checked the Cox lineup and there was no chance whatsoever I would ever record or even view any channels that required the tuning adapter. Since then I've just run without it.

At the time I was going through the various CableCard and TA screens and I noticed the firmware date on the TA was very old which is why we decided to try taking it out of the loop. I asked him to open some kind of engineering ticket about the issue so that hopefully at some point Cox would push updated TA firmware.

After reading this thread it mentioned specifically which TA firmware version is required (or at least works) I wish I have written down the version on mine. It's a real PITA to get it hooked back up.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience so far.

- Kelly
kemajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #35
kemajor

I just remembered that I took a phone photo of the TA diagnostics screens at the time. The tuning adapters here are running

PLATFORM VERSION 01.33
PLATFORM BUILT: Aug 11, 2009 14:41:47

So at least I know for a fact it was the TA at the time.

- Kelly
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
joehler

I'm on Cox in Omaha and have also been having issues with the number of tuners supported by my MTR700 tuning adapter. It is currently loaded with version 1.33, as noted by kemajor above. I've been working with Cox to locate and push version 1.37 (which I believe is the version I need to support 6 tuners), to my adapter. For now, I've limited my Roamio to only use 4 tuners. I'll post if I have any luck getting the updated firmware and support for all 6 tuners.

Jaymie
joehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
joehler

For anyone struggling with support for 6 tuners in Omaha with Cox as your provider, I have FINALLY gotten Cox to acknowledge the problem and comprehend how to fix it. If you have a Cox supplied MTR700 tuning adapter which is running firmware version 01.33, that software only supports 4 tuners. They now understand that they need to push firmware version 01.37 (which supports 6 tuners) to the tuning adapter. They have at least three customers in the area with this problem. They have a tuning adapter in the head end that is running this version of firmware and are experimenting in the lab with the upgrade. I will let you know if and when my tuning adapter is successfully upgraded.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
joehler

One last follow up. Version 01.37 of the MTR700 tuning adapter firmware has been pushed to my device. I'm in Omaha with Cox Communications. If anyone else is having issues and their firmware has not been updated, you should be able to call now and have them hit your box with the version.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
jmpage2

Did that FW version resolve your issues? I would imagine that would be the top concern people want to see addressed.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #40
joehler

I'm sorry I wasn't clear jmpage2. I believe the upgrade has resolved my issues. I have re-enabled all 6 tuners on my TiVo and it is working well. I have verified the following

1. No more complaints from the TiVo about having a tuning adapter which supported less than six tuners
2. I can record 6 SDV shows at once

The other issue I was seeing was that sometimes, when I tried to tune to a SDV channel, I would get a black screen (V.58) with a complaint that the TiVo was unable to tune to the channel and to contact my cable provider. I was usually able to 'fix' the problem by pressing the TiVo button and then the zoom button. However, since the update, I have not encountered this issue. I can't claim 100% certainty that it is fixed, but anecdotally, the issue appears to be solved.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
hanlan

[quote=NJguy;9829112]Did not know that. So Cablevision started the "Whole Home" service back around the end of July. It allows you to record 10 shows at once and watch on any box. So, that said, they should have updated their cablecard to allow 6 tuners instead of 4. Two months after they did that.....still no go on that.

From what i Understand, the whole home 10 at once dvr is cloud based
hanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
kemajor

UPDATE: Cox Wichita has finally pushed v1.37 to their tuning adapters so we are good to go with 6 tuner support.

- Kelly
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #43
headless chicken

Do all M-cards on Fios support 4+ tuners? How does one check if they don't own a 4 tuner Tivo yet...the S/N?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #44
gwilliams99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
I've only been getting two tuners working. After several attempts with Charter, I finally talked to someone at Tivo that told me there is a known issue with some TA's. The MTR700 is what I have and if I completely bypass it, I get all 6 tuners working. Tivo says they're working on fixing the issue.
feel for anyone have to deal with cable card problems. I had a Premier 4 XL on Charter cable in the Birmingham AL area. I never was able to get it to work reliably in the year that I had Charter/Tivo service.

Charter always said that they had problems with 4 stream cards. My main issues were getting it to work in the initial install. The cable guy spent several days trying to get it to pair. When he finally got it to work they managed to send it an update either to the switched digital box or the card monthly to hose it all up again.

I also had the problem of tuning to a station and having the blank/black screen. I have since learned this is a common issue with the Premier 4 XL.

I finally filled a formal complaint through the FCC. This really got Charter's attention, however despite their best efforts, the tuning to a blank screen persisted.

I finally canceled my Charter cable service and my Tivo service.
I have now bought a Roamio Basic that I use for over the air broadcast, I'm really pleased with it so far.

I hope someone can take my experiences with cable cards on Charter as a cautionary tale, and only go down that road if there is really no alternative.
gwilliams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

By contrast I've been using CableCARDs with Charter in my area since the original S3 was released in 2006 and never had much of an issue. I've had a few issues getting them paired over the years, but it was always eventually resolved. And recently I've upgraded from 2 tuner, to 4 tuner, then to 6 tuner and the cards always worked properly the first time. The issues I've had have always been with getting them paired the first time. Once they're paired and working upgrading equipment hasn't been an issue.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote