Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
pvr-guy

Tivo N Wireless adapter as Wireless Router

Hi all,

I have a B/G wireless router.
I bought 2 Tivo N adapters and configured one as a Bridge (connected to a port on my port on my wireless modem) the other N adapter is connected to my Tivo. They are connected as per the user guide and working perfectly.

My question is: Since the Bridged N adapter is acting as a wireless router and my PC can see it, can I use that for PC wireless internet connection?
When I try to connect to the Tivo signal on my PC is asks for my security password.

Anyone know how to connect?
pvr-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Maybe I just don't understanding correctly, but why would you need to directly connect a wireless bridge (the Tivo N adapter) to a wireless modem (which I'm guessing is a combined modem wireless router a.k.a. a gateway) rather than just allowing the Tivo with the N adapter to connect wirelessly to the gateway?

The password to connect directly to a tivo from a pc is your MAK (Media Access Key).
Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
pvr-guy

I have a B/G modem/wireless.
As per Tivo's website/userguide, I have one Tivo adapter (in bridge mode) connected directly to my modem's ethernet port.
That adapter supply N wireless signal to the Tivo's N adapter.
My PC sees the Tivo N (bridged) as a N wireless router.
I want to connect to it and turn off the b/g so I get faster PC INTERNET wireless and do not have 2 signals flying around my house.
When I try to connect it asks for my Network security phrase. I assume this is the Tivo (bridged) asking this as my b/g router does not use that type of security
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr-guy View Post
When I try to connect to the Tivo signal on my PC is asks for my security password.

Anyone know how to connect?
Quote:

I want to connect to it and turn off the b/g so I get faster PC INTERNET wireless and do not have 2 signals flying around my house.
When I try to connect it asks for my Network security phrase. I assume this is the Tivo (bridged) asking this as my b/g router does not use that type of security
So when you said that you wanted to connect to your Tivo signal, you meant that you wanted to connect to your b/g wireless from your pc?

Make and model of the modem/gateway?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
As per Tivo's website/userguide, I have one Tivo adapter (in bridge mode) connected directly to my modem's ethernet port.
That adapter supply N wireless signal to the Tivo's N adapter.
My PC sees the Tivo N (bridged) as a N wireless router.
When you set the adapter up in bridge mode, did you use your PC to configure it? If so, what pass phrase did you create? Or did you connect the devices using the WPS buttons? If so, tell the PC to connect using WPS and press the button on the bridged N adapter.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
pvr-guy

To scandia101:

I want to connect to my modem (not the b/g wireless) using the connected Tivo adapter (which is configured as a bridge). The wireless part b/g is not in the picture.

To CuriousMark:

No setup required, just move the switch to "bridge" on the one connected to the modem's ethernet port.
The way to get the Tivo's wireless adapter (in client mode) to connect is just use the "WPS buttons" on both Tivo adapters
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
austinpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
When you set the adapter up in bridge mode, did you use your PC to configure it? If so, what pass phrase did you create?
Is it even possible to configure the bridge with anything other than WPS?
I'm using an N adapter in bridge mode; when I connect to the IP it says:

"You have set your TiVo Wireless Adapter to Bridge Mode.
There are no user configurable options for this mode. Please use WPS button to pair with your other adapter(s)"

austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post
Is it even possible to configure the bridge with anything other than WPS?
I'm using an N adapter in bridge mode; when I connect to the IP it says:

"You have set your TiVo Wireless Adapter to Bridge Mode.
There are no user configurable options for this mode. Please use WPS button to pair with your other adapter(s)"
I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying.

Then WPS should work for the PC too unless it has some weird configuration that only allows it to WPS pair with another TiVo Adapter in client mode, but I don't see any advantage in them doing that.

Most modern Windows PCs and laptops support WPS, so it should just work.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
pvr-guy

I "think" that when you pair 2 Tivo N adapters together they know what WPS or Security phrase to use. However when I try to connect to the bridged Tivo adatper, the user (me) must enter the WPS or phrase into the the PC's prompt so it can send it to the Tivo adapter.

But that is a guess.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
I "think" that when you pair 2 Tivo N adapters together they know what WPS or Security phrase to use. However when I try to connect to the bridged Tivo adatper, the user (me) must enter the WPS or phrase into the the PC's prompt so it can send it to the Tivo adapter.

But that is a guess.
On my Windows 7 PCs when I select to connect it prompts me to enter a pass-phrase or go push the button on the WPS router, I go push the button and a few seconds later they connect.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
pvr-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
On my Windows 7 PCs when I select to connect it prompts me to enter a pass-phrase or go push the button on the WPS router, I go push the button and a few seconds later they connect.
I do not have a WPS router, thus no button
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

In your case it would be the TiVo adapter configured as an access point that you push the button on. I used your terminology of calling it a router in order to try not to confuse you.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
pvr-guy

Sorry,

I did try pressing the button on the Tivo adapter that did not work.
However, when I try to connect from my PC I do not get what you said.
I get only a request for the "Network security key" but no "press WPS button".

Maybe worth noting:

1. It asks for "Network security key" not "pass-phrase".
2. When I right click on the Tivo signal (bottom right of PC screen that shows all available networks) it only gives option to "connect". My other router shows a "properties" option.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Here is what I expect you to see, I grabbed it off a windows website.

If you are using a different version of Windows, the issue may be there.

If you see this, while that dialog is up, go press the button on the adapter that is configured as an access point and connected to your router with an Ethernet cable.

Here is the site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...r-to-a-network
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
pvr-guy

Here is what I get (a screen capture from my PC)

Part of MAC blocked out
Running Windows7

PS Thanks for all your help

Last edited by pvr-guy : 06-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

ok, I'm stumped.

Clearly that adapter is not really covering all the bases when used as a wireless access point and is not advertising that it is WPS capable. Perhaps it only really does WPS as a client, but sort of half way supports doing it with other TiVo N adapter clients. Alternatively you Windows installation is not updated to current levels. Somehow I think it is the former and not the latter.

Hopefully someone smarter than I comes along and helps you out. This is the right forum for that. There are lots of smart helpful people here.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
pvr-guy

Thanks for the effort.