TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
mr_smits

Tivo should follow Dish: auto skip ads, slingbox, etc

With DISH bringing back commercial auto-skip with the Hopper (and Joey) whole house DVR solution, they are currently the focus of the media companies so much so that CNET, a CBS company, has been forbidden from making the latest version of the Hopper a est of CES 2012 award.

I know the lawsuits are flying, but I feel like this is the type of strategy Tivo should be embracing. Fully embrace the tech revolution and give consumers what they want.

I like Tivo. I've been a Tivo customer since 2005, but reading about this new cutting edge DISH Hopper/Joey with slingbox capability, wifi, and streaming to other devices is making me realize the leader in the field is DISH.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
moedaman

Tivo doesn't have the money to be in constant lawsuits like Dish. And they probably don't have the guts to take on the content providers even if they did have the cash.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Doesn't the Dish Hopper still only have three tuners? One is used to record the stream of the local channels and parses out each channel. So if you want to record four concurent cable shows you can't because of only having three tuners.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Since Tivo's current strategy is to enhance sales/revenues through MSOs, some of those suggestions would be unworkable. My understanding is that one of the reasons replay is no more is due to lawsuits due to their add-skipping features.

What board of directors would follow in those footsteps? Not many.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

TiVo likes to make nice nice with the studios, networks, etc and wants to sell their solution to cablecos. So they'd never do a full fledged commercial skip or outside the home streaming.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
compnurd

For the love of God, be nothing like Dish
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Philmatic

I would rather TiVo not go down that path, it's just asking for trouble.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
mr_smits

Eh, not the part about just having 3 tuners or automatically recording Primetime (although that option is unique). More about place shifting like Slingbox, streaming to devices in the home, and allowing commercial auto skip.

Is DISH not considered an MSO? It seems to me only the providers that are entrenched in media creation will have a problem with media consumption. Obviously, the biggest cable provider, Comcast/NBC, will have a problem.

Plus with DISH out front taking most the bullets, Tivo could have cover for- gasp- being second in line for innovation.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Eh, not the part about just having 3 tuners or automatically recording Primetime (although that option is unique). More about place shifting like Slingbox, streaming to devices in the home, and allowing commercial auto skip.
TiVo streams to devices in the home via the Stream. Well one device so far... DISH is a television provider and not only are they getting sued by the affiliates, when it comes time to renew their licensing deals, they should expect to be raked across the coals for this. "Block my ads? We're going to have to raise rates on ESPN."
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
For the love of God, be nothing like Dish
I agree!
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I agree!
Fill me in. Why the DISH hate?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
lujan

Quote:
Fill me in. Why the DISH hate?
Well, where do I start? No loyalty from Dish to it's customers after I was with them for many years. No English-speaking technical support people. These are just a couple reasons.
6 DVD
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
TiVo streams to devices in the home via the Stream. Well one device so far... DISH is a television provider and not only are they getting sued by the affiliates, when it comes time to renew their licensing deals, they should expect to be raked across the coals for this. "Block my ads? We're going to have to raise rates on ESPN."
Right... how can I forget Tivo Stream?

I don't understand the point of the lawsuits except as a gasping breath by the dying, current model of television. Ads aren't blocked on live television. You can turn off add blocking if you wish to watch ads. The annoying overlay advertisements for upcoming shows occur during the programming cannot be removed. Product placement cannot be removed.

Instead of lawsuits, how about the industry adapt?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
mr_smits

Quote:
Well, where do I start? No loyalty from Dish to it's customers after I was with them for many years. No English-speaking technical support people. These are just a couple reasons.

Non-native language support is frustrating, but frankly, that is not uncommon in the industry.

I'm not sure what to say about your loyalty comment. I suppose you wanted Dish to discount your bill by x dollars and they only discounted your bill by y? Do you recall the actual amounts?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
lujan

Quote:
Non-native language support is frustrating, but frankly, that is not uncommon in the industry.

I'm not sure what to say about your loyalty comment. I suppose you wanted Dish to discount your bill by x dollars and they only discounted your bill by y? Do you recall the actual amounts?
It has nothing to do with discounting a bill. The fact that no English support is not uncommon is a great reason to support TiVo so that more in the industry will bring back customer support to the U.S. Why are you defending Dish so much in a TiVo forum?
6 DVD
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Doesn't the Dish Hopper still only have three tuners? One is used to record the stream of the local channels and parses out each channel. So if you want to record four concurent cable shows you can't because of only having three tuners.
With the Primetime Anytime thing, you *ESSENTIALLY* get 6 tuners, since it records the 4 major networks ON ONE TUNER. While *YOU* may not care about the broadcast networks, based on the ratings, even lowly rated broadcast network stuff is usually higher rated than original cable shows.

Even though I have cable, and even now a cable *dependent* Tivo (Premiere 4), I think the VAST majority of what I watch is the cable rebroadcasts of the "OTA" channels. I originally got cable since it was too much of a pain to change the antenna 180 degrees to get the other channel(s) in that direction. and now, one of those channels is one of the major networks.

Quote:
Right... how can I forget Tivo Stream?

I don't understand the point of the lawsuits except as a gasping breath by the dying, current model of television. Ads aren't blocked on live television. You can turn off add blocking if you wish to watch ads. The annoying overlay advertisements for upcoming shows occur during the programming cannot be removed. Product placement cannot be removed.

Instead of lawsuits, how about the industry adapt?
Umm, as much as *I* hate them, product placement and "overlay advertisements" ARE the industry adapting to us skipping commercials.

(Personally, if you're new to this, where have you been? I've been using technology for over 20 years to skip commercials.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
With the Primetime Anytime thing, you *ESSENTIALLY* get 6 tuners, since it records the 4 major networks ON ONE TUNER. While *YOU* may not care about the broadcast networks, based on the ratings, even lowly rated broadcast network stuff is usually higher rated than original cable shows.

Even though I have cable, and even now a cable *dependent* Tivo (Premiere 4), I think the VAST majority of what I watch is the cable rebroadcasts of the "OTA" channels. I originally got cable since it was too much of a pain to change the antenna 180 degrees to get the other channel(s) in that direction. and now, one of those channels is one of the major networks.

I record alot of stuff from the local networks. If I had the Hopper this would work well for me. But at the same time I'm also recording alot of stuff from the cable networks, I'm recording even more content from them than OTA. Four tuners isn't even enough for that. Which is why my two Elites come in handy. For me, just one tuner is pretty much recording CNN for most of the day.
But if TiVo came out with a six tuner box, I would dump the Elites in favor of the six tuner box as long as the storage amount was at least 3TB. But I would run into issues where some of my cable recordings would have to record the later airings because of conflicts.

But it would be nice to get down to one cable card. And then I would use two Minis and my two tuner Premiere would be used for OTA.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
TiVo likes to make nice nice with the studios, networks, etc and wants to sell their solution to cablecos. So they'd never do a full fledged commercial skip or outside the home streaming.
Exactly. Tivo is never going to be retail customer friendly for this stuff, we're at the bottom of the revenue chain. Pretty damn sad when you know they're the only standalone DVR player for cable now, we badly need some competition here.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
mr_smits

Quote:
It has nothing to do with discounting a bill. The fact that no English support is not uncommon is a great reason to support TiVo so that more in the industry will bring back customer support to the U.S.
English support is a nice option especially when troubleshooting problems, but it's not enough for me to stick with a company.

Quote:
Why are you defending Dish so much in a TiVo forum?
I'm not defending Dish so much as prodding TiVo to do something bold and innovative. Tivo is lagging in that department. Reading about a lost remote finder tone in this forum makes me shake my head in frustration. The time, energy, and money spent on a lost remote "feature" should be put towards something more unique. Something with really broad appeal. The times I have really lost my remote that I have to search for it for minutes is extremely rare. Maybe once every few years?

Seeing the whole house system Dish has available is almost a dream come true. The downsides are only 3 tuners, Amazon not integrated, and Netflix not integrated. The big upsides are the Joey extenders, streaming inside and outside the house (place shifting), and commercial removing for the broadcast networks. Commercial editing is an amazing feature.

I don't believe Tivo should be granted a free pass on my future business. Sure I've spent quite a bit over the years on their products, but that is no guarantee that I'll stick with them if there is a product that better fits my needs.