Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #91
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Yeah, that seemed a little odd to me, too. The rockers arrive at the mat the first time, tell Phil they don't have their passports, and he tells them he can't check them into the mat without them per the rules of the game.

They go back out to look for them, don't find them, return to the mat, and Phil checks them in anyway. It didn't make a bit of sense.
It made sense to me. By the rules, he can't check in a team with missing passports. So he didn't. After all the other teams check in, there's no reason to NOT check in a team with a missing passport. They weren't leaving the country, so they didn't need a passport. The rule is in place to allow teams with all the proper paperwork to check in ahead of teams with missing pieces. That's exactly what happened.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #92
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Oh, and I hate the twins. Their voices are like fingernails on chalk boards to me, as I think Ryan also said.

I was glad when the monster truck a-hole got booted. He was just a pure idiot.

I, too, like J&J. A lot. They seem like really cool, genuine guys. And as ******y as Ryan can be, be showed heart by sticking around with the goat farmers. That's just time eating away at their check in but they stayed. I'm conflicted about him.

Lexi and her boyfriend seem nice, too. Lots of people to root for here at the end.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #93
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Does anyone remember a show similar to TAR called Lost? Teams were dropped in the middle of nowhere and the first to make it back to the U.S. using just their wits won. The format was vastly superior to TAR.
Watching Americans beg for money across the world (especially in poor countries) is not my idea of "vastly superior".

TAR used to do it too on non-elims, but they fixed that.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #94
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
After reading the interview with the rockers, I am surprised that TAR didn't have "backup" copies of their travel documents to get them out of the countries they travel in. I could see TAR not allowing the use of backups to continue in the race, but not being able to return back to the states after being eliminated is a surprise. I wonder if TAR helped them get replacements or they just leave them on their own.
You can't travel on a "backup" copy of a US passport.

Replacing a US Passport takes 48-72 hours per the State Dept website. I hear it is faster in some cases.

I assume TAR paid for their hotel for a couple of days then provided travel to where-ever TAR wanted them to go (ghost the real teams, the safe house, or home).
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #95
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
I assume TAR paid for their hotel for a couple of days then provided travel to where-ever TAR wanted them to go (ghost the real teams, the safe house, or home).
The finish line if possible, or home.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #96
laria
Librocubicularist

I miss the Elimination Station videos.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #97
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Does anyone remember a show similar to TAR called Lost? Teams were dropped in the middle of nowhere and the first to make it back to the U.S. using just their wits won. The format was vastly superior to TAR.
Another similar show that I thought had better mechanics was Chasing Time. In that show, the challenges required thinking about the clues to come up with the right answer. The team playing for the prize had a limited amount of time during the day to complete the challenges. If they succeeded, they got an expense-paid vacation wherever they were; if not, they were sent home.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #98
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
It made sense to me. By the rules, he can't check in a team with missing passports. So he didn't. After all the other teams check in, there's no reason to NOT check in a team with a missing passport
I understand what you're saying, but the those contradict each other.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #99
mattack

Quote:
I thought it was entertaining, but nowhere NEAR as good as TAR. I think TAR is the best reality show *on now*. (The Mole with Anderson Cooper is the best reality show of all time. Survivor is *pretty good* and is the one I watch in a group.)

But IIRC, Lost premiered right before 9/11, was delayed by 9/11, and one of the two (?) seasons actually had them finishing up at the WTC. So bad news all around.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #100
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought it was entertaining, but nowhere NEAR as good as TAR. I think TAR is the best reality show *on now*. (The Mole with Anderson Cooper is the best reality show of all time. Survivor is *pretty good* and is the one I watch in a group.)

But IIRC, Lost premiered right before 9/11, was delayed by 9/11, and one of the two (?) seasons actually had them finishing up at the WTC. So bad news all around.
I loved The Mole. I wish they would bring that back.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #101
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
The first season was great, but I think it was like catching lightning in a bottle. They just couldn't do it twice.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #102
laria
Librocubicularist

The second season was not bad either... but once Anderson left, it was bad.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #103
mattack

Quote:
They did, it was OK. (I originally said bad.. it wasn't horrible, but it was worse than the rest of the reality shows I listed.)

Anderson Cooper should just quit that rinky dink CNN thing, and go back to The Mole.. Heck, he should go back to World News Now.