TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Kawabuggy

Questions About Roamio & Lifetime Sub.

Like the title says, I'm considering switching over to the Roamio.

I currently have a Tivo HD (2 channel) with lifetime subscription. If I move to a Roamio, can I switch my lifetime subscription over? Or, do I just keep my existing HD & put the Roamio in another room? Confused about how the switch would work.

What are mini's? I see people talking about these.

Lastly, where is the best place to buy the Roamio? Any value in selling my old HD box? Not sure what steps I need to take here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

TiVo usually will not allow you to transfer a lifetime subscription from one box to another. You can always call and ask, but they they will almost certainly say no.

The Mini is an extension device. It allows you to watch live TV and recordings from a Roamio on a second TV.

You can either put your current TiVo HD at another TV or sell it, either way. A lifetime HD does have value. You will usually find them going on ebay in the $200-$300 range.

As for the "best place" to buy a TiVo, if you are looking for the cheapest way, it is to buy a discount code off of ebay. If you want to know more about that option you should check out the dedicated "Roamio Deals" thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...507790&page=42

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-14-2014 at 07:28 PM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Kawabuggy

tarheel thanks for the fast response.

I am interested in the Plus/Pro version as I want the 6 channel option.

I have been reading since I posted and also came across the post you linked about the discount codes.

Is a separate subscription required for each mini? Or, can a lifetime sub. be purchased for them as well?

My plan is to buy a Roamio Plus with lifetime sub. like I did with the HD I have now.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
Is a separate subscription required for each mini? Or, can a lifetime sub. be purchased for them as well?.
The standard price for lifetime service on the Mini is $150, or you can use the same ebay discount code to buy a Mini w/lifetime for $174 total. You can get the Roamio Plus w/lifetime for $600 with a code. I think the codes usually sell for between $30 to $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
My plan is to buy a Roamio Plus with lifetime sub. like I did with the HD I have now.
Good plan. Going with lifetime service is much cheaper in the long run. I think you'll be very happy with the Roamio Plus. It is a very nice upgrade from the HD.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-14-2014 at 07:44 PM.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Lifetime service for Mini is $150. Lifetime service is for the life of the Tivo box and not the owner so it is not transferable to another box but it can be transferred to another owner along with that box.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm still amazed that anyone would would actually think that lifetime service is for the life of the owner.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote