TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Vican

Premier Elite and Comcast

Sorry - trying to find the right area to post.

Last two months Comcast is dropping HD channels at random. Couple days later, the channels reappear. Comcast claims we cant get HD on our TIVO Premier Elite with M-card. - yet we have been getting it all year. I'm wondering if Comcast in North GA. is now trying to use SDV - and we dont have a tuning adaptor or box of any kind. The dropped channels are still available in SD. Sometimes the DVR diag. screen shows signal levels at 93 - and other values also OK - yet screen is blank. Other times, DVR diag. show blank values and Current Tuning State = Not Tuned: Wrong Card State.

No one at Comcast seems to know anything at all. Again, could it be Comcast is now trying to use SDV in North Georgia. Anyone know?
Vican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast CSRs are idiots wrt Tivo and Cablecard, ignore them. Tivos get every HD channel assuming the card channel mappings are set correctly at the headend. Comcast does not use SDV with TAs anywhere.

I'm also in the ATL with an Elite and have seen the occasional HD channel drop, but they always come back after a day or so. I'm never sure if it's the Elite or Comcast, though, because the Elite has had known issues with tuning channels.

You could get Comcast to roll a tech and verify your signals are good for all channels, just to make sure that's not the problem.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
chiguy50

FWIW, I am also in the ATL using a Premiere Elite and Premiere and have never seen a channel dropped. My first guess would be that it is an issue with the CableCARD settings, as slowbiscuit suggests.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Vican

You are so right about Comcast CSR/Techs - zero knowledge - idiots. They have rolled half dozen times and we never have signal level problems - Signals always 88 to 93 and SN <35 on DVR diagnostics. And yeah the dropped channels come back after a day or so on their own. TIVO doesnt think it is them being unable to tune - all four tuners will not get the dropped channel.

Latest is that since most at Comcast dont believe TIVO will get HD (been told this 4 times at least) they are sending me a box. I dont know whether it is a Tuning Adapter or what. Thats why I asked about SDV. If they arent using SDV there would be no need for a box as two way communication is not necessary w/o SDV.

oh yeah, and the Elite is funky sometimes - slow to change functions or skips occasionally during playback. Also get pixilation half dozen times an hour - but only on weekends. Again, is it Comcast or the Elite...

My next question is do I really need any kind of box at all??? Or is it just the idiots at Comcast.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

Just the idiots at comcast. The only reason you may need a box is if you want xfinity on-demand and it is not yet rolled out on tivos in your area.

Comcast does not use tuning adaptors last I checked.

Have you reseated your card? That could have these kinds of impacts...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Vican

Do either of you - slowbiscuit or chiguy50 have a box of any kind to get HD?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Vican

BTW we are on our 3 or 4th M-card. Yes, I've reseated and rebooted repeatedly and no luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
scottfll954

It happens to me daily on different channels

I find when a channel drops.. I go to setting and check the signal strength on the DEAD channel... with in seconds its back..
scottfll954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vican View Post
No, I don't. You really don't want their box, they'll charge you at least $10/mo. for it.

Next time I see a channel drop on the Tivo I'll check it on my WMC setup just to make sure it's not an Elite-specific problem. Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions but in your case I suspect it might be the Elite causing the issue. If you reboot it and the channels come back, it's probably the box. If they don't, it's probably a headend mapping issue but getting Comcast to fix that is painful because you can never get the right person. You could try posting in the DSL reports Comcast Direct forum for help.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Vican

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, I don't. You really don't want their box, they'll charge you at least $10/mo. for it.

Next time I see a channel drop on the Tivo I'll check it on my WMC setup just to make sure it's not an Elite-specific problem. Sorry I can't offer any more suggestions but in your case I suspect it might be the Elite causing the issue. If you reboot it and the channels come back, it's probably the box. If they don't, it's probably a headend mapping issue but getting Comcast to fix that is painful because you can never get the right person. You could try posting in the DSL reports Comcast Direct forum for help.
I really appreciate all the responses from you all. I’m at my wits end with Comcast – and I shouldn’t have agreed to their sending a box – maybe I can cancel it.

As I say, I’ve reseated the card and rebooted – it never gets the channel back.

Slowbiscuit – I’m going to go over the Comcast site pretty soon and try posting over there too. Tks for the tip.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
chiguy50

Quote:
No STB of any kind here. Just coax straight into TiVo.

I get all the expanded basic cable HD channels plus HBO/SHO/STARZ HD with no issues. In fact, I haven't looked at an SD channel in over a year except by chance.

This sounds like a Comcast issue to me. If you are going to get another tech visit from them, try emphasizing to the scheduler/dispatcher that you want a tech who is proficient with CableCARDs. This has worked for me in the past.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Vican

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
No STB of any kind here. Just coax straight into TiVo.

I get all the expanded basic cable HD channels plus HBO/SHO/STARZ HD with no issues. In fact, I haven't looked at an SD channel in over a year except by chance.

This sounds like a Comcast issue to me. If you are going to get another tech visit from them, try emphasizing to the scheduler/dispatcher that you want a tech who is proficient with CableCARDs. This has worked for me in the past.
I should have known better - cancelled the box they are sending. Next time they roll (probably lose a channel this weekend) I'll try to get someone who knows cable cards - but the last tech that was here called his "Dispatcher" this dispatcher explained to him that we dont have HD on our account because TIVO doesnt get HD. Yet there we sat looking at HD channels. The dispatcher told him our TV was decoding the signal... How do you deal with such ignorance? There must be a Peter Principle that applies to technological advances...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

Follow the lead from this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=476754
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Vican

Update

Here is where it stands. Apparently I made enough noise on forums and with Comcast and with the FCC that Comcast had an “Executive Escalations Executive” contact me. I have an email from him stating we do not need a box to get HD on TIVO. Then a “dispatcher” from Comcast called me and said that we don’t need a box for HD and that they cannot apply HD codes to an account that does not have a box. They will make a note on my account that I don’t need a box for HD.

This is a small victory, but I’ll take it. Now this doesn’t solve the dropped channel issue, but at the moment, no channels are dropped. So I will have to wait until it occurs again (usually every week or two) before rolling a tech.

I will post here when the next event occurs. Tks for all the responses on the forum.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
chiguy50

Quote:
Here is where it stands. Apparently I made enough noise on forums and with Comcast and with the FCC that Comcast had an “Executive Escalations Executive” contact me. I have an email from him stating we do not need a box to get HD on TIVO. Then a “dispatcher” from Comcast called me and said that we don’t need a box for HD and that they cannot apply HD codes to an account that does not have a box. They will make a note on my account that I don’t need a box for HD.

This is a small victory, but I’ll take it. Now this doesn’t solve the dropped channel issue, but at the moment, no channels are dropped. So I will have to wait until it occurs again (usually every week or two) before rolling a tech.

I will post here when the next event occurs. Tks for all the responses on the forum.
Please do keep us posted; we can all take something from each other's experiences.

BTW, if you haven't already been offered compensation, I would ask that "Executive Escalator" (I assume that's someone who's moving up the corporate ladder) for something in consideration of the hassles Comcast has needlessly put you through. He undoubtedly has the authority, you have earned it, and it's a no-brainer for them if it will assuage an annoyed customer. We're talking anything from a $$ credit to free additional services. The squeaky wheel . . .
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
tomhorsley

Every time comcast starts making wholesale changes to reorganize the frequency assignments for channels (like when they got rid of a lot of analog and converted to digital a while back), my Premiere starts reporting "not authorized" for lots of channels. A reboot seems to fix it. At one point it was happening so often I started working on a perl script to use the telnet module to send remote codes to reboot the tivo every morning at 3 am, but the comcast change activity died down and I don't see it very often anymore so I never got the script working.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote