TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #31
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
A hub, or a switch? Ethernet hubs are pretty rare, these days, and very few 100M hubs were ever made. AFAIK, no 1000M hub was ever produced. If it really is a hub, I would definitely get rid of it.

It's not really that complex. Nonetheless, I do recommend simplifying it by setting up a single, moderately high density, managed Gigabit switch as the central device. Small, unmanaged gigabit switches can be deployed into areas that need more than one device locally, but I would avoid hanging any multi-port devices (that includes WLAN routers) off any of the satellite switches. I also would avoid wireless in general whenever possible.
Switch. I'm old school enough to remember coax cable network and BALUNs and apparently I use the old words.

The problem I have is that in the house, there is enough interruption that wifi needs to be in 2 locations for wifi. I have 2 identical routers and I turned one's routing off, use it as a switch and AP.

Maybe I just need an AP on that 5-port switch and not a router.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
lrhorer

So you are saying you have two WiFi networks connected by a switch (or switches) in the middle, logically speaking? One is a routed network and the other a bridged (AP) network? (This would mean the devices on the routed network are on a different subnet than the one on the switch and the AP.

This may be a silly question, but you do have the two wireless devices on different wireless channels, correct?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
Austin Bike

yes, both are on different channels, as far away as possible.

Basically the chain was DIR-655#2 -> 8-port switch -> DIR-655#1 -> Cable modem

#2 had all DHCP and routing functions turned off. It was an AP and a switch. #1 had all of the routing and functions turned on.

Basically all of the ports on #2 were full, all of the ports on the 8-port switch were full and #1 had only the link from the 8-port switch and the WAN uplink to the cable modem.

When I stuck an additional 5-port switch between #2 and the 8-port and moved all of the cables out of #2 into the 5-port, it solved the problem.

My best guess is that this was a multicast issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
yes, both are on different channels, as far away as possible.
OK, just checking.

Quote:
When I stuck an additional 5-port switch between #2 and the 8-port and moved all of the cables out of #2 into the 5-port, it solved the problem.
That's a puzzler. The routing engine should not even touch the hard-wire ports of the AP, and a switch should properly forward multicast and broadcast MAC and IP addresses.

Quote:
My best guess is that this was a multicast issue.
There is no question of that. Regardless, however, the topology you have right now is the preferred one, even if you were not having problems with TiVo visibility.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #35
Austin Bike

Preferred unless you consider the extra device, cables and power required.