TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
adamwsh

Check your monthly bill - make sure it didn't go up for no reason!

This month I noticed the auto-payment for my Tivo box (an HD XL) that is part of the multi-service discount on a month-to-month basis had been charged at $12.95 instead of the typical $6.95.

I called Tivo Customer Service and told them about this. The saw the charge but could not explain what happened. The CSR said they made a change and it would not happen again next month. I then had to ask about the overcharge for the current month. Only after I asked about it, did the CSR offer to refund the overage.

Both things have happened as the CSR said they would, but I still can't explain why it went up to $12.95 out of no where.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so that you folks with a multi-service discount may want to keep an eye on Tivo charges and make sure this doesn't happen to you!
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Which is your base unity, the S2? I wonder if it has been offline for a period of time and its failure to call home triggered this change.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
adamwsh

Interesting point. I have 3 units. A S2 with Lifetime, an XL4 with lifetime and an HDXL month-to-month. The S2 is the oldest, so I'm guessing that is the base unit. And it died about 6 months ago. So, yeah, I guess that must have triggered something. Yet, the XL4 is still up and running, so they would have at least seen that I still have multiple Tivos active.
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Which is your base unity, the S2? I wonder if it has been offline for a period of time and its failure to call home triggered this change.
Exactly what happened to me. I have an inactive S3 that is my MSD qualifier. If I don't let it connect every six months, my $6.95 monthly on an HD goes up to 12.95.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Call Tivo again and ask if you can get lifetime on the S3 for $99.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Call Tivo again and ask if you can get lifetime on the S3 for $99.
Has anyone accomplished this feat, recently?
----------

Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Worf

Also, that XL4 - did it get a discounted lifetime or a full freight lifetime (i.e., did you do MSD with it?).

IIRC, a MSD Lifetime cannot be used as the "base" for MSD, only a full freight one can. The box has lifetime, it just cannot be the full price unit for MSD.

And yeah, anyone get full lifetime on long time TiVos for $99? I have a S2 I still have month to month on I'd like to convert. (And yes, I need the S2's ability to control a cable box).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

And yeah, anyone get full lifetime on long time TiVos for $99? I have a S2 I still have month to month on I'd like to convert. (And yes, I need the S2's ability to control a cable box).
You can buy a working S2 with lifetime for less than $99. I have seen them go for less than $50! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-Series-...item1c42073f34
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
eziemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
Has anyone accomplished this feat, recently?
Just called in last week to remove a TivoHD from my account--was offered the $99 lifetime and took it.

Also had lifetime added to a Premiere for $199 in March after upgrading to a Roamio Plus.
eziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziemann View Post
Just called in last week to remove a TivoHD from my account--was offered the $99 lifetime and took it.

Also had lifetime added to a Premiere for $199 in March after upgrading to a Roamio Plus.
Do I have to call to say I want to cancel it, or can I just be straightforward and say I'd like the $99 lifetime option?
----------

Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
You can buy a working S2 with lifetime for less than $99. I have seen them go for less than $50! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-Series-...item1c42073f34
The ones that ship to Canada go for way more. Nevermind the shipping to Canada.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The ones that ship to Canada go for way more. Nevermind the shipping to Canada.
Last time, it cost me $30 to ship a Series 2 from the west coast over to the east coast via UPS.

~~~~~

Old 06-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Last time, it cost me $30 to ship a Series 2 from the west coast over to the east coast via UPS.
Sounds about right. I just had to ship a similar sized and weight piece of electronics from east coast to west coast, and the cheapest option was $22 for super slow from the Post Office. Any faster and the prices went up fast. UPS wanted a whopping $88 to ship it 2nd day air!!!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Sounds about right. I just had to ship a similar sized and weight piece of electronics from east coast to west coast, and the cheapest option was $22 for super slow from the Post Office. Any faster and the prices went up fast. UPS wanted a whopping $88 to ship it 2nd day air!!!
At least UPS has decent tracking. USPS tracking totally sucks, no updates until well past the end of the day.

~~~~~

Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
Bigg

Quote:
At least UPS has decent tracking. USPS tracking totally sucks, no updates until well past the end of the day.
At least they have tracking now. For a while they didn't. Agreed, UPS is a much better shipped, but they clearly don't want to do business with individuals, as their pricing is downright absurd... I hate doing business with the USPS, but they are the most economical option for someone just sending a random package.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Worf

Quote:
But to ship from the US to Canada via UPS bumps the cost to $50+. Then UPS dings me at the door with $50+ in fees just for crossing the border. Hell, the tax I would pay on a $50 TiVo would be $6. Total price to me assuming it went for $50 would be over $150.

The ones that ship USPS are far rarer (but the cost at the door is only around $5 or so plus $6 in taxes).

And $50 is on the lower end of "crossing border" charge - they can range from 30-200% of the item price.