TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Question Help programming THR22 remote with HR2x DVR

We had been TiVo and DTiVo users for 13 years, and in that time we didn't think we'd ever need to learn how to use another remote. Last year I replaced our aging DTiVos with HR24s. After just simply too long a time wanting to throw the RC65 remote out the window every time I use it, I decided to try the THR22's peanut with the DirecTV DVR. Strangely, there is almost no information anywhere on the web about other people trying this other than simply advising that "some TiVo-specific buttons won't work". Yeah, and?

So far I've managed to get it to work on RF by first activating its RF then setting the DVR back to IR and then once again to RF. But that's about it. The thumbs don't work, as expected, but rather surprisingly the "Live TV" button doesn't work. Because I don't have the TiVo UI running, I have been unable to program my TV's power or my Yamaha receiver's power or volume buttons into it. Do I have to use the 961+xxxxxx procedure? How? Our old TiVo remote had some limited learning abilities and I was able to program in small macros to turn the TV and receiver on and off at the same time; I don't believe anything like that is possible with the DirecTV code set (the RC65 remote can't do discreet "off" for the Yamaha).

Anybody have any idea how to program the THR remote without a THR22 DVR present?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Huh. I guess nobody knows. Short of getting a THR22 and setting it up here, I guess I can't program the remote.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Suggest you post this question in the DirecTV Support Forum in the "Remote Controls" section. Our resident remote expert hangs out there.
http://forums.directv.com/pe/element...entID=10100433

But I suspect you can't use the THR22 Tivo remote properly with a non-Tivo DVR.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Sensible advice, thanks.

I am curious, though, because the internals must be fairly similar to those of the HR2x remotes as the THR uses the same DirecTV code set.

Anyone with a THR22 wish to chime in here and suggest some button-presses to program TVs and audio systems? The Stop-TiVo button and Pause-TiVo commands for RF-IR work.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

You program it just like the an old tivo remotes, to enter a code:

1. press and hold tivo/directv & tv power, enter the tv code

to program av receiver:

1. press and hold tivo/directv & mute, enter the av receiver code, that gets you volume and mute, for av receiver power, you need to do this as well:

2. press and hold tivo/directv & tv power, enter av receiver code again

The codes are the same as the tivo remotes, accept being about 6 years older. I don't have access to tivo menu to suggest any codes.

For RF, or switching it back to IR, see this thread:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...thread.cgi?110
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Yep, just found that out before you posted. Thanks though.

I wish it had some learning ability like the Glo. On that one, I was able to program in a small macro on the TV Power button to turn all on, and another on the Input button for all off. The AV receiver's volume also worked well enough.

As it is now, the THR peanut is already more useful (for our purposes) than the RC65. All it really needs is an Exit button for the HR's clumsy menu and guide system. I like a lot about the HR24, especially its speed in menus and guides, but some of the UI choices are asinine.

I'll see what the Boss thinks of the peanut when she gets home. My muscle memory took all of three seconds to kick in; virtually all the controls fall perfectly under my thumb without glancing at the remote, something neither of can say about the RC65 after a full year of daily use.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Update:

The Boss says she'd rather live with the peanut's superior ergonomics, despite the lack of a couple of important buttons, than have to curse the RC65 remote almost every time she uses it.