TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Any word on the release of the TiVO Minis?

I currently have an S2, S3 & 2 dual tuner TiVo Premieres. Comcast has been playing games with me for the cable cards & I'm tired of their fees so I am anxiously awaiting for the TiVo "mini" to come out. Therefore, I can hopefully dump/sell all my current TiVos and then simply get a Premiere 4 or XL4 along with several "minis". All of the equipment will then be running off one single M cable card.

Therefore, I don't have to worry about all these extra "outlet fees" Comcast has been throwing on me. Not to mention how I will then hopefully also get OnDemand at some point on at least the main Premiere. At which point I can also truly be able to dump ALL Comcrap related hardware.

I see how the TiVo "stream" finally got released. Any word on when the "mini" might get released here? I'm hoping before Xmas & maybe even before Thanksgiving, but is that being too optimistic?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I currently have an S2, S3 & 2 dual tuner TiVo Premieres. Comcast has been playing games with me for the cable cards & I'm tired of their fees so I am anxiously awaiting for the TiVo "mini" to come out. Therefore, I can hopefully dump/sell all my current TiVos and then simply get a Premiere 4 or XL4 along with several "minis". All of the equipment will then be running off one single M cable card.

Therefore, I don't have to worry about all these extra "outlet fees" Comcast has been throwing on me. Not to mention how I will then hopefully also get OnDemand at some point on at least the main Premiere. At which point I can also truly be able to dump ALL Comcrap related hardware.

I see how the TiVo "stream" finally got released. Any word on when the "mini" might get released here? I'm hoping before Xmas & maybe even before Thanksgiving, but is that being too optimistic?
+1. Why is there no news? paging Dave Zatz....

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

No new news. We only got 2.5 weeks of notice between the Stream's official marketing kick-off and its release, so this may happen suddenly too.

What we DO know with fair confidence is that the fall update will be dropping in October. RCN is saying mid-to-late October for their customers; retail box folks MIGHT get it a little sooner if past rollouts are any indication.

Since the Mini needs the fall software, it won't come out before the full rollout. Until Tivo gives us a clue with some kind of Mini marketing kick, all we can do is keep an eye on the Software Priority signup page since that has to happen first. Lame but it's all we got. lol.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...est/index.html

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-28-2012 at 09:58 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
innocentfreak

Even though it is two different customers, I don't see them trying to market it while they are still in the initial push for the Stream, and as it has been mentioned it requires the fall update which is soon. It potentially could confuse customers.

I see it before the holidays, but if they don't make a November release pre-Thanksgiving it could be January.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
edtude

Well I just did an interesting survey for Comcast Advisory panel and it specifically mentioned and IP Settop Box for purchase or for rent.
edtude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It potentially could will confuse customers.
FYP.

Before the the stream was released, people were confused about which box did what.
When the mini is released, people will STILL be confused. Just wait and see.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think the reason people are confused is because they don't understand why an extra box is even needed for streaming to an iPad. TiVo to TiVo streaming works so it seems logical that you could stream to another device given the proper software. Unless you're a video geek who knows the difference between MPEG-2 and H.264 you're unlikely to realize what exactly the Stream does or why it's even necessary.

I think the Mini's functionality will be a lot more obvious to people. And once it's released and properly marketed people will realize what it's for pretty quickly. The Stream will still cause some confusion, but it's much more of a niche product so most people wont pay too much attention to it. Most of the attention it gets now is from people who either think it's a Mini or from people trying to use it to fill the same need as a Mini via AirPlay or other means.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The stream would have largely been unnecessary if Apple had procured a chip with mpeg2 decoding. Kind of baffles me why they didn't, it's not like it hasn't been around forever and it's the primary TV format.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The stream would have largely been unnecessary if Apple had procured a chip with mpeg2 decoding. Kind of baffles me why they didn't, it's not like it hasn't been around forever and it's the primary TV format.
But that would still only be for Apple people. I certainly hope the Stream doesn't stay an Apple only product.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote