TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
jerry7171

Newbie with DirecTV TiVo questions

My roomie & I have had DirecTV since last fall and while we love the lineup, not being able to archive what we record was a bummer.

I eventually talked him into letting me spring for the THR22 as I had fond memories of the first TiVo I owned from almost ten years ago. One of the things I'd been able to do is archive material from it to the then relatively mainstream VCD format with the help of my Mac.

I've been reading up on iTivo & KMTTG as options to grab material off the THR22 and archive it.

I mostly have had a really tough time finding much of anything about doing this with the THR22 and wondered how successful it seems to be? My current set up is a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion 10.8.1.

Also, I really like the TiVo app for iPhone and have been playing with it. Maddeningly, there is no explicit mention if it'll work with the THR22 either?

I really hope it does as it seems to find a whole lot more obscure programming than the default DirecTV iphone app does. I've even found stuff in the TiVo app and tried looking for it in the DirecTV app only to be stymied by the message that nothing matched my search. How weird is that?

Anyway, I really like DirecTV & love TiVo too and I've read that the current experience leaves a bit to be desired, but so long as it basically works and lets me archive as I'm planning, my roomie and I will be happy.

Can anyone advise me or share any experience they've had going down this route?

Thanks!
jerry7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No extraction from the THR22 is possible. TiVo apps will not work.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
jerry7171

Ouch!

After reading that, I started checking around more and stumbled across other places that pretty much said the same thing.

I returned to my long suffering roomie and just finished talking him into canceling DirecTV and going with our local digital cable provider. I only did this once I was sure that everything we liked was available on the cable as well as DirecTV. The cable provider was pretty nice and seemed fairly knowledgable about TiVo too. It turns out we'd be spending roughly about the same for what we want with either service so it was a no brainer.

Now I'll just have to cancel the THR22 tomorrow before it gets processed and prepared for shipping.

I found a pretty sweet deal for a factory reconditioned TiVo for nothing down and $19/month for TiVo service and jumped on that.

My roomie & I will have the ideal setup by hook or by crook yet!
jerry7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
bpratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7171 View Post
Ouch!

After reading that, I started checking around more and stumbled across other places that pretty much said the same thing.

I returned to my long suffering roomie and just finished talking him into canceling DirecTV and going with our local digital cable provider. I only did this once I was sure that everything we liked was available on the cable as well as DirecTV. The cable provider was pretty nice and seemed fairly knowledgable about TiVo too. It turns out we'd be spending roughly about the same for what we want with either service so it was a no brainer.

Now I'll just have to cancel the THR22 tomorrow before it gets processed and prepared for shipping.

I found a pretty sweet deal for a factory reconditioned TiVo for nothing down and $19/month for TiVo service and jumped on that.

My roomie & I will have the ideal setup by hook or by crook yet!
Before you go forward you should check to see if your still within the DirecTV 2 year contract. If you are it will cost you to cancel DirecTV.
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 46" LCD 1080p
Sony 42" LCD projection 720p
Mitsubishi 55" projection 1080i
bpratt is offline   Reply With Quote