TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
dtremit

Expand 3TB drive to 2TB (for use in HD)?

I am trying to press a 3TB drive into temporary service in a TivoHD until I can get my hands on a more suitable replacement. I realize the system won't recognize the full capacity of the drive, but I'm hoping to use as much of it as I can. I've got a backup of the original 160GB image I made with WinMFS that I'm using as my starting point.

However, I can't figure out a way to tell any of the tools I'm familiar with (WinMFS, MFSLive, jmfs) to create a larger partition at the end. I can limit the image to 1TB with WinMFS, or expand it all the way to 3TB, but don't know of any way to stop in the middle.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool or command option I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
dtremit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
I am trying to press a 3TB drive into temporary service in a TivoHD until I can get my hands on a more suitable replacement. I realize the system won't recognize the full capacity of the drive, but I'm hoping to use as much of it as I can. I've got a backup of the original 160GB image I made with WinMFS that I'm using as my starting point.

However, I can't figure out a way to tell any of the tools I'm familiar with (WinMFS, MFSLive, jmfs) to create a larger partition at the end. I can limit the image to 1TB with WinMFS, or expand it all the way to 3TB, but don't know of any way to stop in the middle.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool or command option I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
Restore the image with WinMFS to the 3TB, and when it finishes and says you have extra space, do you want to expand, tell it no.

(which is what you should no matter what size the drive is, and expand later as a separate step)

Then check the drive with

mfsinfo

If it doesn't choke, and shows you a partition map with a huge Apple Free partition, try it in the TiVo.

This is more to keep you busy than anything else.

In the meantime, I'll try to find the old posts where someone talked about trying a 2.5TB and not getting it to boot to see if they tried it with which version of the TiVo OS, and whether they used the always dangerous

hdparm

to make the drive lie about it's LBA number.

What's the brand and model of that 3TB, by the way?

And do you happen to know what version of the OS was on the drive when you made the image? Was it 11.0h or later?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
jmbach

I believe that JMFS will just add a 2TB partition for expansion. Not sure about WinMFS. It will either add a 2TB partition or error out.

If you feel like experimenting, you can use WinMFS and limit the expansion to 1TB. The coalesce partition 14 and 15 into 14. Boot it in the TiVo and let it divorce the partition that no longer exists because of the coalesce. Delete the Apple_Free partition if it exists and then use JMFS to expand to use the remaining space. Put it in the TiVo and see if you now have 3TB of recording space on your TiVo HD. It it doesn't work, it will go in a reboot loop. If that is the case then write the base image to the 3TB drive and use JMFS to expand and you will have 2.2TB recording space.