TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
KevinKillion

Question Wanted, TiVo with two HD TVs: DirecTV or Comcast?

Now that DirecTV is on friendly terms again with TiVo, that's good news but I'm thoroughly confused.

We are moving to a new home, and I would like to provide TiVo capabilities for both of two HD TVs in two rooms, with HD basic cable channels. But getting a clear answer from either DirecTV or Comcast on just what is needed or how much it costs is worse than pulling teeth.

I think the channel package would be Choice Xtra on DirecTV or "HD Preferred XF" on Comcast. But the sales reps on the phone are terribly confused (and thus confusing) about the specific costs and the features available when using TiVo-brand DVRs instead of their normal DVRs.

Any advice is welcomed ... but in particular:
- Do I buy a TiVo Premiere, or take whatever HD TiVo DirecTV gives me?
- Do I need two TiVo boxes to support two TVs?
- Sharing programs a la "Whole Home" is not supported in either DirecTV or Comcast, right?
- Does it make any sense (cheaper or better) to talk about one TV with TiVo and the other with the stock DVR?

Help, I'm bewildered!
Kevin
KevinKillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinKillion View Post
- Do I buy a TiVo Premiere, or take whatever HD TiVo DirecTV gives me?
If Comcast, yes to Premiere. If DirectTV, THR22 if you want TiVo. Premiere is cable and OTA only (Elite/XL4 is digital cable only). In fact, none of the TiVo 3s or 4s support satellite.

Quote:
- Do I need two TiVo boxes to support two TVs?
While there are other ways to do that, IMHO two TiVos is currently the best way.

Quote:
- Sharing programs a la "Whole Home" is not supported in either DirecTV or Comcast, right?
DirecTV, not with TiVo. They do have their own alternative.
Comcast - yes. You can even share copy protected content via streaming if you have two Premieres

Quote:
- Does it make any sense (cheaper or better) to talk about one TV with TiVo and the other with the stock DVR?
Not if you want to share content.

Quote:
Help, I'm bewildered!
Kevin
Hopefully, slightly less so now. If not. I am sure others will be adding to this thread.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote