TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You only need to connect it to a computer for a moment to program the beeps to shut off. Then you can disconnect it from the PC.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
jjberger2134

Just want to revive this thread, and ask which inexpensive UPS systems are recommended. I have had my 2 TiVo's on an APC UPS for quite a few years:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=be350u

The battery must have gone bad in one of these units. I had the TiVo lose power, as I was starting my snowblower (electrical start) a few weeks back. Apparently, the outlet that I used to start the snowblower is on the same circuit as the TiVo. I am guessing the battery is shot. We have had quite a few power outages here over the past 2 years.

Can I just replace the battery in this unit, or should I look a new or different UPS?
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can replace the battery but it also might be cheaper to get newer unit if you can find them on sale.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can replace the battery but it also might be cheaper to get newer unit if you can find them on sale.
What he said.

If you do decide to replace the battery a local Batteries Plus should be able to fix you right up for $30 to $40 before sales tax.

Seriously, you might find another entire unit with the same or better specs on sale for around the same money at Best Buy or Staples or OfficeMax or Office Depot when next Sunday's circulars come out.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #35
MPSAN

I went to...wait for it...

replaceupsbattery.com

I wonder how they ever got that name. I paid a little over $18. Do not forget to search for coupons.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
jjberger2134

Ok, thanks. I have looked around at it appears a similar unit is currently about $40 on Amazon. I know this is bottom of the barrel with regarding to power supplies and UPS systems, but is it good enough to protect the TiVo? Is there any real reason to upgrade? I am not concerned about run time, because when the power goes out, it tends to go out for hours or days. So the difference between 10 minutes and 30 minutes of run time is not that important to me since most likely the power failure will be longer than that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
Ok, thanks. I have looked around at it appears a similar unit is currently about $40 on Amazon. I know this is bottom of the barrel with regarding to power supplies and UPS systems, but is it good enough to protect the TiVo? Is there any real reason to upgrade? I am not concerned about run time, because when the power goes out, it tends to go out for hours or days. So the difference between 10 minutes and 30 minutes of run time is not that important to me since most likely the power failure will be longer than that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
What you have now may be "bottom of the barrel" as far as how much power it can deliver for how long, but APC is certainly a reputable brand.

However, since it didn't drive you nuts with a low battery beep, if the 2 units you have are indentical, you might try a battery swap to see if the problem is the unit or the battery age.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I went to...wait for it...

replaceupsbattery.com

I wonder how they ever got that name. I paid a little over $18. Do not forget to search for coupons.
Was that before shipping?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
jjberger2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What you have now may be "bottom of the barrel" as far as how much power it can deliver for how long, but APC is certainly a reputable brand.

However, since it didn't drive you nuts with a low battery beep, if the 2 units you have are indentical, you might try a battery swap to see if the problem is the unit or the battery age.
Interesting. I never thought about the low battery warning. When I started my snowblower, my wife (who was watching TV at the time) said the TiVo just rebooted without the low battery warning. Maybe it is the unit itself.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Was that before shipping?
I had a coupon from the web and it was FREE shipping. I got 3 of them for MY APC units and they are working fine.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #41
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
Just want to revive this thread, and ask which inexpensive UPS systems are recommended. I have had my 2 TiVo's on an APC UPS for quite a few years:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=be350u

The battery must have gone bad in one of these units. I had the TiVo lose power, as I was starting my snowblower (electrical start) a few weeks back. Apparently, the outlet that I used to start the snowblower is on the same circuit as the TiVo. I am guessing the battery is shot. We have had quite a few power outages here over the past 2 years.

Can I just replace the battery in this unit, or should I look a new or different UPS?
I think that's the one I've got. There's a sliding panel on the bottom that covers the battery. Just replaced the battery in one of the three I've got.

I typically end up replacing the batteries in mine around every three years. It's a simple swap for most APC units. Some Belkin POS units make it a huge hassle to unscrew everything to get to the batteries.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #42
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I've replaced 2 APC 550VA batteries in the past year and got both from Amazon sellers for less than $20 shipped. They work fine. Not the OEM APC brand mind you, those are way overpriced and all they do is slap their sticker on some other battery anyway.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #43
jjberger2134

good to know. I am going to try a battery swap between my two units and maybe buy 2 batteries anyway since these units are most likely around the 3 year mark if not older.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #44
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
How often are you folks losing power? I cannot remember the last time I lost power, and had to reset a clock. It has been well over a year maybe longer.
A lot more often than I would like. We just had one last month. We probably get at least 4 or 5 a year.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

I don't lose power here very often but we have a lot of power surges. Sometimes it can be several times a day. All my UPS units will kick in if the power surge exceeds a certain voltage.

And the same goes for a brown out. Within the last few years we had one leg of the transformer in my area go out. So suddenly the voltage was down to around 70 volts, It was this way for almost ten minutes before the transformer completely went down. So I was glad to have all my electronics connected to over a dozen UPSs. And I was able to use my equipment during the four or five hours it took them to replace the the transformer.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't lose power here very often but we have a lot of power surges. Sometimes it can be several times a day. All my UPS units will kick in if the power surge exceeds a certain voltage.

And the same goes for a brown out. Within the last few years we had one leg of the transformer in my area go out. So suddenly the voltage was down to around 70 volts, It was this way for almost ten minutes before the transformer completely went down. So I was glad to have all my electronics connected to over a dozen UPSs. And I was able to use my equipment during the four or five hours it took them to replace the the transformer.
4 or 5 hours? You must have some hefty UPS'es!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #47
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
4 or 5 hours? You must have some hefty UPS'es!
I use a bunch of the APC 1500 models with the extended runtime battery. I get up to 18+ hours of runtime depending on what devices and the number of devices I have connected to each particular UPS.
My TiVos are covered for over ten hours.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #48
Kerwin51580

I finally bit the bullet and got a UPS for our living room electronics -- a Cyber Power CP1350AVRLCD. This summer will be our first with TiVos and we have occassional brownouts throughout the season.

The UPS was a bit overpowered for my needs -- at full load, all my equipment (TV, XL4, cable modem, router and TA) barely use 10% of my batteries' rated capacity. It also does make my whole setup look neater. I hated staring down at my TV stand and seeing a bunch of plugs connected to a dusty white surge protector.

I'd probably get the same kind of UPS for the bedroom and a pure sine wave version for my computer.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin51580 View Post
I finally bit the bullet and got a UPS for our living room electronics -- a Cyber Power CP1350AVRLCD. This summer will be our first with TiVos and we have occassional brownouts throughout the season.

The UPS was a bit overpowered for my needs -- at full load, all my equipment (TV, XL4, cable modem, router and TA) barely use 10% of my batteries' rated capacity. It also does make my whole setup look neater. I hated staring down at my TV stand and seeing a bunch of plugs connected to a dusty white surge protector.

I'd probably get the same kind of UPS for the bedroom and a pure sine wave version for my computer.
You can use the same type of UPS for your computer. It will work just fine. I've been using UPSs on all my PCs for over 17 years and on my electronics for over 14 years with no issues. I've never used a pure Sine wave UPS and out of the hundreds of devices I've used on them, the only issue I ever had, was one 32" HDTV I had made a humming noise when running on battery power. I never had an issue with the hundreds of other devices I used on the UPSs.