TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Phantom Live TV /guide commands interrupting playback

I have Charter cable with two cable cards and a tuning adapter. It works pretty well a majority of the time. I've been having an intermittent problem that has gotten worse the past few days.

Basically, I'll be watching a recording with nothing currently being recorded on the TiVo, and suddenly it looks like I'm repeatedly hitting the guide and live TV button over and over again. The guide will pop up and then shortly thereafter my program will be interrupted and it will go to live TV. It will then flash the guide and then the progress par over and over in sequence.

When this happens, my place in the recording is lost and it starts from the beginning when I go back to it.

Sometimes it will happen rapidly and other times slowly. When it happens slowly, I can sometimes prevent it from interrupting playback by hitting clear repeatedly.

Going to other menus doesn't make a difference - it's not really an issue that only occurs in playback, but it is the most annoying there since it causes my place in the show to be lost.

Rebooting the TiVo doesn't always help. Same for the tuning adapter. In fact, the symptoms continue if I actually unplug the tuning adapter.

I am using a harmony 880 remote and have watched carefully and actually attempted to block it to see if it is coming from the remote. It doesn't seem to be.

So far it doesn't seem to have interrupted any recordings. Probably because the behavior would seemingly result in simply switching to the show being recorded.

What can I do to troubleshoot this odd behavior?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
cannonz

If you cover the IR eye on the tivo while it's doing and it continues it is internal tivo problem, if it quits is getting command from somewhere look for a remote with stuck button etc.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

If it were a stuck button it should be happening constantly and predictably. The problem goes away on its own. It could be someone nearby I guess but the neighbors are not that close and it's in a basement room with minimal windows.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
If it were a stuck button it should be happening constantly and predictably. The problem goes away on its own. It could be someone nearby I guess but the neighbors are not that close and it's in a basement room with minimal windows.
Can you set that Harmony to do different TiVo remote addresses, like you can with a slide switch TiVo remote?

Try setting it to an address other than 0.

Then if it happens again, go into the system information screen and see if it's still set on the address you chose or if it's been reset to 0.

If so, someone else's TiVo remote signals are getting to it somehow.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It doesn't have anything to do with remotes. I've tried everything I can think of related to that. Besides, when you hit live tv on the remote while watching a show, it doesn't lose your place in the recording you were watching as happens here. It also stops after a few minutes usually. Guess I'll contact TiVo.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
blacknoi

Doesn't seem to be the exact same issue, but my mother's tivo a few months ago suddenly refused to respond to a remote control command unless you got right up on the tivo.

Turned out she had another remote fall inbetween the couch cushions (pointed towards the tivo ironically) and one of the buttons was pushed down due to the weight of the couch cushion. So the remote was putting out a constant IR signal, messing up the IR receiver on the Tivo. Found the offending remote, took it out of the couch (stopping its IR pollution) and the tivo worked great again.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

When it was happening this weekend I physically blocked the IR eye. It continued happening even though none of my remotes could get through when I tried. I really don't think it has anything to do with remotes. I suspect it is a cable card or tuning adapter issue.