TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #151
terryh63

Just wanted to post another success story.

Kubuntu LiveCD, WD AV-GP WD40EURX 4 TB, Roamio basic.

Took about 15minutes from harddrive removal -thru- reconnect to TV.

Thanks! It works great.

Terry
terryh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #152
telemark

Cool, good to hear. There are about 60 installs / 160 downloads to date.

For those who have enjoyed this:
I've added PayPal and BitCoin addresses to the first post now.
Please donate something if you can.
This would let me justify the time spent on this (and other Tivo development) to my family.

Total Donations: $30 coming from 2 persons.
Avg Donations: / 60 tivos = $0.50 / tivo.

Last edited by telemark : 11-24-2014 at 02:47 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #153
zechman
Alpha Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I'm curious if you (or anyone) has filled up a 4TB already.
About 3.5 months later, my 4TB Roamio is indeed deleting Suggestions now, and a handful of my oldest recordings have been tossed out.

Quote:
So nobody volunteered to write a smart Windows cloner. I'm not much of a Windows programmer.
Well, I'm a reasonably competent Windows programmer. If I can be of help, I'm willing.

--Dwayne
zechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #154
jmbach

I made a dynamic VHD that can be restored. It is very small. All the pertinent information lies within the 2.2TB limit inherent to the VHD. So one option is to restore only the non zero chunks of the VHD to the appropriate areas of the 4TB drive. This would take minutes. Problem I had was that all the VHD restore programs I had access to wanted to restore the whole 2TB and that takes hours.

If we let the Roamio try to format the drive first to place the guid in block 0,then we have to start the restore at block 1. If we copy the guid from another Roamio formatted drive, the it can start at block 0 and a program to copy block 0.

Last edited by jmbach : 11-23-2014 at 11:43 AM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #155
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechman View Post
About 3.5 months later, my 4TB Roamio is indeed deleting Suggestions now, and a handful of my oldest recordings have been tossed out.
I feel like those who filled it should get some kind of cred. I guess the gold star is the commodity around here. I actually could not fill up a drive during the testing time period. So I'm very glad to hear it actually fills all the way.

jmbach: Yes. Though it's easy to generate guid's during download. I was more concerned about intelligent response like whether people might have an HPA set and need to be warned. Not a common thing but it's happened once or so. And I can't think of other examples.

VHD is a good format because it functions as a sparse image. The issue was the common cloners did not have a selective restore mode. The only one I know of is DvrBARS. I'm not sure why that one could not work though. (I can't test that, need a Windows person to tell me why)

I was going to write an installer that uses iBored remote mode, but I was waiting until a couple other projects were done first.

nooneuknow: Thanks for the story. You know you're technically wasting electricity if you wouldn't need to run it otherwise. What I do is try to put it in perspective. A/C uses more than anything, if you pull a daily usage graph from your electric company, it becomes obvious. Even ignoring A/C, 60watt light bulbs are useful for hiding most modern electronics that are energy efficient.

I couldn't find a rule that said donations in thread is bad, but if someone complains I'll move it in software like the others do. This was just faster.

Last edited by telemark : 11-23-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #156
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I feel like those who filled it should get some kind of cred. I guess the gold star is the commodity around here. I actually could not fill up a drive during the testing time period. So I'm very glad to hear it actually fills all the way.

jmbach: Yes. Though it's easy to generate guid's during download. I was more concerned about intelligent response like whether people might have an HPA set and need to be warned. Not a common thing but it's happened once or so. And I can't think of other examples.

VHD is a good format because it functions as a sparse image. The issue was the common cloners did not have a selective restore mode. The only one I know of is DvrBARS. I'm not sure why that one could not work though. (I can't test that, need a Windows person to tell me why)

I was going to write an installer that uses iBored remote mode, but I was waiting until a couple other projects were done first.

nooneuknow: Thanks for the story. You know you're technically wasting electricity if you wouldn't need to run it otherwise. What I do is try to put it in perspective. A/C uses more than anything, if you pull a daily usage graph from your electric company, it becomes obvious. Even ignoring A/C, 60watt light bulbs are useful for hiding most modern electronics that are energy efficient.

I couldn't find a rule that said donations in thread is bad, but if someone complains I'll move it in software like the others do. This was just faster.
DVRBARS does have a restore mode that only writes the chunks not including all zeroes. I did full backups (including all contents of every sector) of 2TB drives for Premiere and TiVoHD (2TB-ready, plug and play), and can either restore them fully (which also works as a test that every sector can be written) taking as long as a full write test, or use the other restore mode, which takes a matter of minutes. I forget all the actual names for the options. But, the names for the modes you can backup and restore with don't imply all this. It's only really explained by ggieseke within the DVRBARS thread (or other threads he explains what each mode does in). He made at least one alternate version, that skips certain checks, and lets it backup and restore the content of any drive at all (pulled out the checks). One member was having issues with a SSHD, the system drive in their Lenovo, and he had to take a few routines out to allow it to work for them. If you ask him for what you need, and it can be done by modifying his existing program, I think he'd provide what you ask. If he'd have to start over, building a new program, then I'd figure he'd let you know that, and it would be better to then let somebody else take a swing at it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-24-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: shortened
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #157
jmbach

It has been a while since I played with DvrBARS so I might be off a little here. It does have a quick restore that restores only non zero chunks but only if the image is a TiVo image. Since the Roamio endianess (is that a word?) is different from the rest of the TiVo family, it is not recognized and does not restore. A full restore is different and will write the full image including zeroed sectors.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #158
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
It has been a while since I played with DvrBARS so I might be off a little here. It does have a quick restore that restores only non zero chunks but only if the image is a TiVo image. Since the Roamio endianess (is that a word?) is different from the rest of the TiVo family, it is not recognized and does not restore. A full restore is different and will write the full image including zeroed sectors.
In both quick and full restore modes, DvrBARS checks the source image and won't 'geek' if it doesn't recognize it as a TiVo image. I'm not sure why I put that in other than it seemed logical at the time.

I will track down and comment out that code sometime this week. Then the image you already made should work.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #159
telemark

It sounds logical for a Tivo cloner to expect Tivo images. It's just recent that Tivo images no longer look like Tivo images.

Maybe check but warn on failure?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #160
ggieseke

Quote:
Maybe check but warn on failure?
That's the plan.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #161
emerz

Looks like Weaknees has finally broken 6TB

http://www.weaknees.com/6tb-specials.php
Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #162
jmbach

Kind of figured that would be coming after the 20.4.5 update. With that update a Roamio with format a 6TB drive and boot but it only gives you 250 hours of HD recording space. The MFS structure needs to be tweaked to give it the whole 6TB of recording space.

This should work for the S4 line as well if someone comes up with a formatter for the drive.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #163
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz View Post
Looks like Weaknees has finally broken 6TB

http://www.weaknees.com/6tb-specials.php
Only $450!?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #164
telemark

I didn't have enough spare hardware to sign up for priority list so just got 20.4.5 a couple days ago.
But keeping fingers crossed that's what's been missing.

Last edited by telemark : 11-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #165
emerz

The Weaknees upgrade inculudes "One 6 TB Western Digital AV Line Hard Drive". Is that going to be a purple?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #166
telemark

Quote:
The Weaknees upgrade inculudes "One 6 TB Western Digital AV Line Hard Drive". Is that going to be a purple?
Extremely likely. Last I saw there's no AV Green in 6TB and there have been other WK upgrades that were Purple.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #167
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
This picture at Zatz Not Funny! shows it is the PURX drive.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-11/tivo...drive-upgrade/
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-25-2014 at 01:59 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #168
emerz

Thanks guys. That is what I thought since I knew the max capacity for the AV-GP is 4TB.

6TB sure would be a nice upgrade! Black Friday sale on 6TB Purple?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #169
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

For those who may be tempted to take WK using the WD Purple as a reason to buy one for DIY, you'd be better off with a Red. They also go to 6TB and are AV drives (support the ATA AV streaming command set extensions), not that it necessarily matters, since TiVo doesn't use them).

Purple rated workload: 60TB/yr
Red rated workload: 120-140TB/yr

Both drives are for NAS (thus have TLER/ERC, which can be a detriment on a non-RAID controller). But, the Purple is designed specifically for motion-activated surveillance, not true 24x7 (unless you count idle time as 24x7). Since TiVo can't do RAID, you can't just add more drives, to meet the TB/yr workload, as WD expects, if you exceed it with one drive. The rating is per drive.

If you can wait to buy, sales on the Red NAS are frequent, often coming very close to the regular price of a Purple. Obviously, WK is going to go with what they can always get for the lowest cost, to increase their margins, and only cares that the drive last as long as the WK warranty.

I've done the math, and 4-tuner TiVos can easily exceed 60TB/yr, unless you don't record in HD. Don't forget that all tuners are always buffering, which still counts towards this, and 6-tuner TiVos insure there's no (logical) way to not exceed the workload rating.

For telemark's sake, and his thread, I won't go into details about what I found out about, through experience, with TLER/ERC drives, used in TiVos (I use WD Red). It seems to take a "perfect storm" of conditions to bite you, which is why I'm trying to just keep it as a footnote to everything else (and have not stopped using Red drives).

ETA: WD still only considers the AV-GP as the proper drive for non-RAID DVR/PVR use. You will not be able to get assistance from them, if you try to, for other drives. While their warranty terms clearly state the warranty is only valid for intended drives for intended use, getting warranty RMAs for other drives has not yet been reported as an issue (which they could start enforcing, and change that, at any time).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-25-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: to add
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #170
ggieseke

The patched version of DvrBARS (1.0.0.6) is now available using the download link in the original thread. It will prompt you if it doesn't recognize the VHD file as a Series 1 through Series 4 during restores, but you can choose to continue anyway.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #171
telemark

Thanks ggieseke. Way to spend your holiday.

I'll add the VHD file to the server once tested, hopefully this weekend..