TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Xiidaen

Streaming surprise

This may be a known feature but I missed it. I have the new Roamio Plus and a Premier as well. I'm having issues with HBO on the Roamio, but the premier works fine. I knew I could stream the Premier to the Roamio, but I was surprised this morning when I used the TiVo iPad app to browse to the premier and then selected 'watch now' on the iPad -- it worked fine.

Nice!
Xiidaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
mdscott

This button is presented when browsing my shows when using the "On DVR" tab. It acts as a one click control to bring up the selected program on the DVR.

michael
Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscott View Post
This button is presented when browsing my shows when using the "On DVR" tab. It acts as a one click control to bring up the selected program on the DVR.

michael
He's talking about streaming to the iPad. It uses the same watch now button, but offers the option to watch it on your iOS device if there is a TiVo stream on the network.

I can confirm that this does work. The Stream hardware in the Plus/Pro really acts like a separate device. Gets it's own IP address and MAC address. And so will talk to your other TiVos just like a stand-alone Stream box would.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
mdscott

Sweet.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Xiidaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
He's talking about streaming to the iPad. It uses the same watch now button, but offers the option to watch it on your iOS device if there is a TiVo stream on the network.

I can confirm that this does work. The Stream hardware in the Plus/Pro really acts like a separate device. Gets it's own IP address and MAC address. And so will talk to your other TiVos just like a stand-alone Stream box would.
Correct, and stated much more clearly. The Roamio can stream shows from my premier to my iPad.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
TC25D

I am trying to understand the value of streaming to an iPad. Since it's only supported over your home WiFi, where your TVs are, what's the point?
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I am trying to understand the value of streaming to an iPad. Since it's only supported over your home WiFi, where your TVs are, what's the point?
I currently use my Android tablets and a Slingbox 350 to stream the Redskins football game while I am playing a game on my XBox 360. If/when they offer Android support then I will stream directly from the TiVo when at home. Although I typically only do this during the NFL football season.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I use mine daily to watch TV in bed. My wife wont let me put a real TV in the bedroom but she's OK with me watching my iPad on my night stand. She also uses it occasionally when she's doing something in the kitchen, another place we don't have an actual TV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Xiidaen

1) TV option for office, kitchen, or other room without TV

2) Watch TV in the room with my 2 year old while he is watching one of his shows on the TV.

3) Check scores etc while watching one of 'our' shows with the wife.

Also, my understanding is it will work outside your home network -- new feature expected this fall.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
SugarBowl

And on some cable networks (not here with Time Warner) you can download the shows to your ipad and take them with you for viewing anywhere.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
swerver

Quote:
tivo on the *****ter bro!

(or so I've heard)

Truthfully - I kind of agree with you. But it's nice to have the option. (or I should say, it will be, once I get my roamio, and once they add android support)
Sitting out on the deck with a show on could be cool. Wanna use the big tv but the kids are whining something fierce? Get them a cheap tablet and let them stream away. I know in the past it's been common to have many tv's in a household, but I wouldn't mind keeping it to just the 2 I have now, so streaming to tablets can help that happen too.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Keeps the Grandkids occupied when they are over. Lets me watch live TV in the office where there is no TV. Lets me keep tabs on breaking news when I'm in the workshop. Lets me download and watch a show in the car while my wife shops.

And in the coming months will allow me to watch content from home while away from home.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Does it also work with Apple computers or just iPad?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
Does it also work with Apple computers or just iPad?
It is for mobile iOS devices.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
I'm not a sport fan, but I'm guessing - To not miss a big play while spending some quality time in the rest room?

Or B - To watch a show when all the TVs are taken by others?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I enjoy streaming to my ipad to watch football by the pool or racing and any live event that is not the same if you record it and watch it later like news... Great timing TiVo right as the new football season starts up. So I'm not going to miss any games and still pool time with the family. I got a lifeproof case for my ipad mini and I can watch games in the pool and cool off at the same time. I love to Stream.......
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Kolenka

Quote:
Other folks already answered about streaming, but with streaming also comes copying. I can download transcoded copies of most shows on Comcast and take it with me. Kinda useful on trips where I may be staying at a hotel, or even out camping. A couple hours worth helps fill some of the downtime before going to bed on those trips.

And as others have also stated, streaming to outside the home is also coming "Very Soon(tm)". They said this was coming to the stand-alone Stream boxes as well, which makes sense now. The S5s really just embed the hardware, and so TiVo is really only pushing out one updated firmware to Stream devices. It doesn't matter if that device is stand-alone or embedded into a DVR.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Devx

Quote:
Streaming (and copying) opens up quite a few possibilities for extending TV beyond the traditional setups. Quite a few options have already been mentioned but a few others include while washing and detailing the vehicles, in the shower, for trips (especially on planes and in airports). I personally use a waterproof Bluetooth speaker to help the iPad project audio though.

I consider streaming a worthwhile investment to help consume more content while also being productive.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
And in the coming months will allow me to watch content from home while away from home.
I thought that I read somewhere that this capability exists now with the Roamio software.

I haven't tried it yet, has it worked for anyone?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that this capability exists now with the Roamio software.

I haven't tried it yet, has it worked for anyone?
The hardware does and soon the software will support it. Right now the feature is in a not yet enabled state.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Thanks!

It better hurry, football season is upon us!

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote