TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
jacobb

Using Premiere with Stream, Baby, Stream

I'm trying to use Stream, Baby, Stream with my premiere.

I can do so quite easily with my Windows laptop.
I have not been able to do so with my Linux server.

I'm 99% sure the issue is with my network configuration, which is more complicated than usual.

I have the following devices connected together in series:
  • a phone jack
  • an ADSL2 modem (in bridge mode)
  • a hub
  • a wireless router
  • the premiere
The laptop is connected to the wireless router.
The Linux server is connected to the hub.

My dsl service comes with several static IP addresses. The wireless router and the Linux server have static IP addresses. The laptop and the premiere do not, but instead use DHCP with the wireless router.

The premier can see Stream, Baby, Stream on the laptop, but not the Linux server. I assume that's because the premier is sending out some sort of broadcast request for "showcases" that the router is forwarding to the laptop (inside its local network) but not to the server (outside its local network).

Can anyone explain the problem to me, and even better, provide a solution?

Thanks!

Jacob
jacobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try and take the hub off and just connect the server to the router.
The hub is creating its own network that the others connected to the router (another network) cannot see.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobb View Post
The premier can see Stream, Baby, Stream on the laptop, but not the Linux server. I assume that's because the premier is sending out some sort of broadcast request for "showcases" that the router is forwarding to the laptop (inside its local network) but not to the server (outside its local network).
Close, but it's the other way around -- the server sends out a broadcast announcement of its services. (Well, technically it's multicast rather than broadcast, but it makes no difference in this case.)

I don't know exactly why you want the server to have an external IP -- perhaps it doesn't really need one? you should examine whether port forwarding might suffice -- but assuming it does need one, maybe the simplest (!) thing in your situation would be to add another network interface to the server, so it could have one for your internal network, and one for the outside world?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
jacobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Try and take the hub off and just connect the server to the router.
The hub is creating its own network that the others connected to the router (another network) cannot see.
Here's the definition of "hub" as I understand it:
"A hub contains multiple ports. When a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets."

If we accept that definition and assume I'm applying the term correctly, the hub is not segmenting the network.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
jacobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Close, but it's the other way around -- the server sends out a broadcast announcement of its services. (Well, technically it's multicast rather than broadcast, but it makes no difference in this case.)
Great to know!

My router offers the ability to enable multicast routing. Is that relevant here?

Quote:
I don't know exactly why you want the server to have an external IP -- perhaps it doesn't really need one? you should examine whether port forwarding might suffice -- but assuming it does need one, maybe the simplest (!) thing in your situation would be to add another network interface to the server, so it could have one for your internal network, and one for the outside world?
The server does need a static IP address, or at least it provides enough external services I don't want to try to punch them all through the router.

I assumed adding another network interface would solve the problem. I prefer to avoid hardware changes and the configuration issues that I fear would result from dealing with multiple IP addresses on the server. Let's call that plan B.

Another approach I'm wondering about is port forwarding (or port triggering - I don't really understand the difference) on the router to allow the server to communicate with the premiere. Could something like that work? What port(s) would I forward?

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, there's no port forwarding for broadcasts (or multicasts).

I imagine you have a web server running on the Linux box? I suppose you could set it up to respond to requests for "/TiVoConnect" with the info for the Streambaby server, and then go to the TiVo and use the "Add an App" / "Manually add a server" function to point to the Linux box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
jacobb

Quote:
I imagine you have a web server running on the Linux box? I suppose you could set it up to respond to requests for "/TiVoConnect" with the info for the Streambaby server, and then go to the TiVo and use the "Add an App" / "Manually add a server" function to point to the Linux box.
Yes, the Linux box has a web server, and I could have it respond to /TivoConnect. What would it need to respond? I've googled for /TivoConnect, but haven't found a specification of the response format.

Does a manually added server persist when the tivo or the server reboot?

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobb View Post
What would it need to respond? I've googled for /TivoConnect, but haven't found a specification of the response format.
Check wmcbrine.com/TiVoConnect for an example. Use your own UUID. BTW, note the capitalization (TiVo, not Tivo).

Quote:
Does a manually added server persist when the tivo or the server reboot?
It survives a TiVo reboot, yes. And, the TiVo has no way of knowing when the server reboots.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
jacobb

Awesome. I cobbled together my own /TiVoConnect file (thanks for correcting my case error), and manual configuration worked the first time. Thanks much!

Jacob
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
jhilla

Why would streambaby reboot a TiVo Premiere during a rebuffer? Never done that before. I am using Wmcbrine's latest release. Java 7 with Cobra.jar workaround.

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffjava.FFmpegJavaVideoModule=false
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffexe
cc.background.transparency=0
quality.highestabr=384
quality.highres=1080
quality.select=true
preview.autogenerate= (default:true)
autogenerate.background= (default:0)
mp4mod.streamformats= (default:mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,tivo,asf)
lib.native=c:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native
ffmpeg.path=c:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native/ffmpeg.exe
dir.1=c:\Users\amd\Videos
dir.1.name=Amd Flix
dir.2=C:\Users\John\SkyDrive
dir.2.name=SkyDrive
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
#port=7290
tivo.username=XXXX
tivo.password=XXX

Last edited by jhilla : 05-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
Why would streambaby reboot a TiVo Premiere during a rebuffer? Never done that before. I am using Wmcbrine's latest release.
Um, I don't release Streambaby. Also, this belongs in the general Streambaby thread, or its own thread, not here.

But to answer your question... actually, nobody can really answer your question, because we can't see what's going on inside the TiVo. We do know that it reboots in a surprising number of situations, presumably because TiVo Inc. felt this was the best way to get it to a known working state, rather than limping along half-working. So, something about the particular video you're trying to stream must put some part of the TiVo into a state where it stops responding normally.