TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
missingwings

Need Roamio Purchase Advice

With one exception, I need none of the additional features provided by the Roamio Plus or the Roamio Pro beyond those of the basic Roamio. However, I would like to have more than the Roamio’s “up to 75 hours of HD” storage capacity. I assume that by connecting an external hard drive to the Roamio’s “External Storage” port the storage capacity will be increased accordingly.

Q1. What exactly constitutes a “TiVo-verified external hard drive” (e.g. would a 500-Gb Seagate USB 2.0 FreeAgent SATA Hard Drive, m/n ST305004FDA2E1-RK qualify?)

Q2. Does the Roamio use the external drive only when the internal storage is maxed out, or does it use the external drive first, or some other scheme?

Q3. Also, can the Roamio send its output signal to one TV from the HDMI port while simultaneously sending the same signal to a second TV via the composite output?
missingwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

First, you would be better off with waiting the 90 day warranty period and then replacing the internal hardrive with a 2TB or 3TB, Western Digital AV-GP Harddrive,
either a
WD20EURX - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B00DXOJJQQ/
or a
WD30EURX - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B00DXFEQGI/

Roamio Hard Drive Upgrade Info Thread

Q1.
Only the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB will work with a TiVo:
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/dvr-expander
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-...dp/B003MVZ60S/

Q2.
The TiVo splits recordings across both HDDs once an External is connected, if the External fails you lose all recordings, best to install a larger internal HDD first.

Q3.
Never tried, I believe the answer is yes, though. NO
The Base Roamio does not have standard Component or Composite AV jacks though, you would need to purchase the Break-Out kit from TiVo also.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-28-2014 at 03:32 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #3
HarperVision

He wouldn't have to worry about voiding his warranty and to wait the 90 days for the warranty if he bought from somewhere like best buy and got the warranty through them.

Q3's answer is no, not yes. It only has one video decoder which is used for all the outputs simultaneously. The basic Roamio only has HDMI and the small 1/8" AV jack which is composite video only. No component.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

That is odd, that the Mini supports Component via Break-out AV cables but the base Roamio does not.
EDIT: I do now see the Mini has two separate jacks.

Also strange that TiVo's website has an X for Component Video output on the Plus/Pro as well as the base Roamio on the Specifications.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Mini was released around half a year prior to the Roamio models.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingwings View Post

Q3. Also, can the Roamio send its output signal to one TV from the HDMI port while simultaneously sending the same signal to a second TV via the composite output?
Yes for the basic as well as the pro and plus according to this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511825

You will need to get an optional cable to utilize the composite output on the basic roamio.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Grakthis

Quote:
With one exception, I need none of the additional features provided by the Roamio Plus or the Roamio Pro beyond those of the basic Roamio.
I just want to toss out there that you think, right now, you don't need the 6 tuners. And you might be right, today. But someday you might want to add minis. And as soon as you add 2 minis, you will be glad you have 6 tuners.

Something to chew on.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That is odd, that the Mini supports Component via Break-out AV cables but the base Roamio does not.
EDIT: I do now see the Mini has two separate jacks.

Also strange that TiVo's website has an X for Component Video output on the Plus/Pro as well as the base Roamio on the Specifications.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio
Yeah that's wrong. The Plus and Pro models have both composite and component outputs. Someone should email TiVo Margaret and get her to fix that on the TiVo website.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Yes for the basic as well as the pro and plus according to this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511825 You will need to get an optional cable to utilize the composite output on the basic roamio.
I misread the original question, you and CoxinPhx are right. I was thinking he was asking if it can output a separate channel's video from each output (HDMI & composite). I could swear that's what was asked, man I must be losing it, haha!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
With one exception, I need none of the additional features provided by the Roamio Plus or the Roamio Pro beyond those of the basic Roamio. However, I would like to have more than the Roamio’s “up to 75 hours of HD” storage capacity. I assume that by connecting an external hard drive to the Roamio’s “External Storage” port the storage capacity will be increased accordingly.

Q1. What exactly constitutes a “TiVo-verified external hard drive” (e.g. would a 500-Gb Seagate USB 2.0 FreeAgent SATA Hard Drive, m/n ST305004FDA2E1-RK qualify?)

Q2. Does the Roamio use the external drive only when the internal storage is maxed out, or does it use the external drive first, or some other scheme?

Just to promote my personal sale, I have a Roamio basic that I upgraded to 3tb last February, been in use just four months and if you buy it now, I can arrange a service transfer which will give you a no commitment monthly fee of $9.95 monthly. Pm me or check my thread in buy/sell section...... No TiVo warranty would be the only negitive thing about this one of mine, I can though throw in a breakout AV cable set if you need it, TiVo gave me a couple free.

I just upgraded to a Pro and have two Roamio basics for sale, I needed more tuners so a couple months ago I tried running two basics instead of a plus or pro, it got too complicated so bit the bullet and just bought a Pro.
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 05-28-2014 at 04:48 PM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
missingwings

To all (CoxInPHX, HarperVision, aaronwt, poppagene, Grakthis, tarheelblue32, eboydog),

I only got one emailed reply notification (thanks CoxInPHX), so I didn’t realize all of you others had responded. You have all been very helpful and given me much to mull over – I appreciate everyone’s input.

Grakthis – I probably won’t ever add a mini as our retirement home is very small, but it’s still worth considering the Plus or Pro.

Eboydog – The Roamio purchase is still a ways off, but your offer is tempting. If you still have it in a couple months, let me know.
missingwings is offline   Reply With Quote