TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
michael1248

MAC Address and Network (Free WiFi) Question

My condo recently installed a Wi-Fi network that is available free to all residents. I decided to save my self mt monthly$50 donation to Time Warner Cable and try to get my TiVos connected.

TiVo Help was pretty helpful insomuch as they told me to call the IP provider of the folks who installed the network and give them the MAC addresses of my units and adapters. Surprisingly, everything went very smooth and I am now connected. Here are my questions:

My Series 2 with an older G adapter showed the same MAC address for both the adapter and the box. My Premiere showed a different address for the box and for the newer N adapter. The IP people didn't seem to care about the N wireless adapter but "saw" the TiVo MAC address trying to access the network. Why 2 different address for the Premiere?

Also, the IP folks told me that I would not have to use a password and that they would not set an "expiration date" allowing my TiVos to remain connected to the network. (Their first question was what hotel are you staying at? They were finally were able to find my condo association's name.)

When I tested the connection on speedtest.net, the download speed was 1.44 Mbps with an upload speed of 1.34 Mbps. The IP people said that I would probably not be able to stream Netflix. Anything I can do to increase my connection speed, or am I stuck with what I have? How much bandwidth will I use (or need)? Obviously my Series 2 connects only once per day, but the Premiere..excuse me Series 4, is constantly connected when using HD menus. Both appear to be running fine for now. I was wondering how my Series 4 will be affected when more people access a network that is so slow.

Thanks.
michael1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
JoeTaxpayer

from http://support.netflix.com/en/node/306

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

Looking at this, the 1.44Mbs may be enough. That's just one speed test, but it's well above the 'required minimum.'
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

For the MAC addresses, the Series 2 doesn't have an ethernet port, so the MAC would match the adapter. Premiere has an ethernet port so that has another MAC different from the adapter.

The N adapter connects via the ethernet port and that is trying to access the network.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
michael1248

I always learn so much from you guys. Thanks for the quick tutorial.

Last question: Given the "slowness" of the the free Wi-Fi, will my Premiere stay connected with HD menus if other residents are accessing the network and/or trying to stream movies?
michael1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

Danger, danger, Will Robinson...

Connecting your TiVo via WiFi to a public internet connection will expose your TiVo to the Internet.

You have no way of firewalling it -- you have no way of protecting your TiVo.

Depending on how this "Hotelling" WiFi is configured, you even have the risk of another resident loading the TiVo app on their iPad and screwing around with your box.

I would *STRONGLY* recommend you get a separate router, and use a WiFi "bridge" to connect the WAN port of the router to it; that way your internal network is still afforded a modicum of protection from the outside...
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
..........................When I tested the connection on speedtest.net, the download speed was 1.44 Mbps with an upload speed of 1.34 Mbps. The IP people said that I would probably not be able to stream Netflix. Anything I can do to increase my connection speed, or am I stuck with what I have? How much bandwidth will I use (or need)? Obviously my Series 2 connects only once per day, but the Premiere..excuse me Series 4, is constantly connected when using HD menus. Both appear to be running fine for now. I was wondering how my Series 4 will be affected when more people access a network that is so slow.

Thanks.
As long as the conection gives you consistent speed you shouldn't have any issue streaming netflix. OF course it will only be SD.
At my GFs house, she has a 1.2Mb/s DSL line. On her S3 boxes and the Premiere I bring over there, Netflix streaming is always rock solid. No buffering issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oViTynoT View Post
Danger, danger, Will Robinson...

Connecting your TiVo via WiFi to a public internet connection will expose your TiVo to the Internet.

You have no way of firewalling it -- you have no way of protecting your TiVo.

Depending on how this "Hotelling" WiFi is configured, you even have the risk of another resident loading the TiVo app on their iPad and screwing around with your box.

I would *STRONGLY* recommend you get a separate router, and use a WiFi "bridge" to connect the WAN port of the router to it; that way your internal network is still afforded a modicum of protection from the outside...

Don't you need the Media Access Key to access the content of the TiVos? T know the TiVo apps I use and TiVo desktop can't access the content on my TiVos with out the proper MAK being entered.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Don't you need the Media Access Key to access the content of the TiVos? T know the TiVo apps I use and TiVo desktop can't access the content on my TiVos with out the proper MAK being entered.
Speedbump: yes, Roadblock: No.
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote