TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
ahwman

Audio bug still present

I was hoping the audio bug (where it goes out of phase into mono) was fixed in the Roamio, however I noticed it today when I started a recording. A skip or replay command fixes it, however it's still annoying. I hope we see a fix in the fall update...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I was hoping the audio bug (where it goes out of phase into mono) was fixed in the Roamio, however I noticed it today when I started a recording. A skip or replay command fixes it, however it's still annoying. I hope we see a fix in the fall update...
That's disappointing.
It seems to have gotten much more rare on my old Premiere - perhaps after the last software update some months ago, or perhaps after getting a sound bar and switching from PCM to Dolby Digital...not sure.

When it began, I'd notice it at least once per show, often more than once, and since it got better it's maybe once every 10 shows, or so.

Odd thing - I bought a Roamio Basic on launch day, and I'm fairly certain I had that issue on a show I was streaming from the Premiere.
I haven't used the Roamio much for native content yet (it's OTA only, and there's not much on we record) but I think there's a good chance that the problem was on the Premiere side, not the Roamio side.

Reason I think this is because the Roamio is set to PCM, so we do get the navigation sounds when watching something native to the box, however, when streaming from the Premiere, we don't get them.

I'd be surprised if streaming really is passing Dolby Digital rather than just streaming the file and having the host TiVo do all the decoding, but in my very unscientific experiment, that's how it seems so far.

Happy to be corrected by the smarter folks here if my conclusions are wrong.

If you can live without the navigation sounds, maybe try switching to Dolby Digital and see if it starts occurring less for you...I do miss the sounds, though
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
That's disappointing.
It seems to have gotten much more rare on my old Premiere - perhaps after the last software update some months ago, or perhaps after getting a sound bar and switching from PCM to Dolby Digital...not sure.

When it began, I'd notice it at least once per show, often more than once, and since it got better it's maybe once every 10 shows, or so.

Odd thing - I bought a Roamio Basic on launch day, and I'm fairly certain I had that issue on a show I was streaming from the Premiere.
I haven't used the Roamio much for native content yet (it's OTA only, and there's not much on we record) but I think there's a good chance that the problem was on the Premiere side, not the Roamio side.

Reason I think this is because the Roamio is set to PCM, so we do get the navigation sounds when watching something native to the box, however, when streaming from the Premiere, we don't get them.

I'd be surprised if streaming really is passing Dolby Digital rather than just streaming the file and having the host TiVo do all the decoding, but in my very unscientific experiment, that's how it seems so far.

Happy to be corrected by the smarter folks here if my conclusions are wrong.

If you can live without the navigation sounds, maybe try switching to Dolby Digital and see if it starts occurring less for you...I do miss the sounds, though
I'm seeing this not only on my Roamio but also my Mini. Fortunately it's somewhat rare but annoying none the less. Sadly I have bigger issues with my Roamio...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote