TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
nrnoble

Football audio: Gurgling background noise

Recently while watching a couple of NFL games, I've noticed an ever-present background noise that I best can describe as "Gurgling", technically I think its highly compressed filtering of the crowd noise. The commentators and other sounds come through clear, but the crowd sound is really bad because it does not sound like the typical crowd noise at football games, it just sounds like gurgling in the background.

Anyone else notice this with live NFL games (or other sports)?
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
rahnbo

I noticed every game sounds a little different and some have a very odd sound to them I can't even describe. It's got to be a nightmare to be a sound engineer for an event like that but I think generally speaking the NFL games on FOX have the worst sound & video quality and sometimes even the video shrinks down to the middle of the screen. Have you noticed if its on all networks or just one? Also it seems FOX has a knack for putting a microphone right next to some crazy screaming fan for the whole game.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
takeshi

Not a sports fan but what you're describing sounds like compression artifacts.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I noticed every game sounds a little different and some have a very odd sound to them I can't even describe. It's got to be a nightmare to be a sound engineer for an event like that but I think generally speaking the NFL games on FOX have the worst sound & video quality and sometimes even the video shrinks down to the middle of the screen. Have you noticed if its on all networks or just one? Also it seems FOX has a knack for putting a microphone right next to some crazy screaming fan for the whole game.
It was on Fox games that I noticed it, but I have not yet compared it to CBS, NBC, or ESPN games. It just sounds bad. Maybe I noticed it more because I was sound engineer in college, and bad sound mixing stands out whenever I hear it.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Not a sports fan but what you're describing sounds like compression artifacts.
Yes, that is what it sounds like to me. I hear the same bad effect on Satellite radio when I listen to the the talk radio channels. For reasons I don't understand, they really compress the talk radio channels so it sounds like the early audio compression algorithms from the early 90s; it sounds like a bad AM radio channel.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
jano18

I also heard some audio distortion through my side surrounds yesterday on Fox during the Seattle vs Atlanta game. I attributed it the broadcast because the Houston vs New England game on CBS was fine.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I've heard it too on Fox and CBS NFL games, a background rumble of some sorts. Pretty annoying at times.

NBC sets the standard for audio here.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

That's just the sound of fans quaffing beers to make sure they have a good time worth the $50+ per seat they paid! That many stadiums were paid for by tax money taken from citizens who can't afford a seat, even if they wanted one, is a scandal IMO.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
celtic pride

Inyears past CBS always had the best sound on the nfl broadcast with dolby 5.1 surround sound,but i notice the sound on the fox broadcast of the NFC playoffs was much louder and better sounding this time around ,clearly fox has improved their dolby sound for ,the playoffs. I hope this translates to their regular broadcast of primetime viewing as well. especially with shows like touch and the following coming up.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote